Home

Shot Coverage Impact Slider, Where To Set It?

This is a discussion on Shot Coverage Impact Slider, Where To Set It? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 04-10-2024, 11:38 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Shot Coverage Impact Slider, Where To Set It?

I'm wanting to adjust how my games play in regards to shots where the cpu has cover on me. Basically I hit nearly all my open 3s but any bit of coverage will nearly always miss. I'm wanting to make it so open ones don't go in as much but contested ones go in more. Any suggestions on how I can achieve that?

I am using one of the slider sets on this site which has coverage impact set to 25.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-10-2024, 11:43 PM   #2
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Shot coverage impact

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukepingi
I'm wanting to adjust how my games play in regards to shots where the cpu has cover on me. Basically I hit nearly all my open 3s but any bit of coverage will nearly always miss. I'm wanting to make it so open ones don't go in as much but contested ones go in more. Any suggestions on how I can achieve that?

I am using one of the slider sets on this site which has coverage impact set to 25.
I wrote an article on this topic a bit ago, basically 25 is the starting point but you can look at lowering it further, but ultimately it's on the individual user to figure it out where their threshold ends up. There won't be a perfect sweet spot for it that fits everyone.
Old 04-10-2024, 11:52 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
I wrote an article on this topic a bit ago, basically 25 is the starting point but you can look at lowering it further, but ultimately it's on the individual user to figure it out where their threshold ends up. There won't be a perfect sweet spot for it that fits everyone.
Thanks for the reply. I read the article but I'm still having some trouble understanding how the 2 main sliders work (coverage and timing). Maybe I'm just a bit slow but I've read a few threads about these settings but I'm still not 100% sure how they work.

So I have coverage set at 25 and timing set at 50. I feel like I hit too many open shots but not enough covered shots. If I change coverage to say 10 would I hit more covered shots or less? Also on 10 would I hit even more open shots or less?

EDIT: I feel like I might have to change other sliders to achieve what I want? I want it to be harder to make open shots but easier to make covered shots

Last edited by lukepingi; 04-10-2024 at 11:54 PM.
Old 04-11-2024, 07:23 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I read the article but I'm still having some trouble understanding how the 2 main sliders work (coverage and timing). Maybe I'm just a bit slow but I've read a few threads about these settings but I'm still not 100% sure how they work.

So I have coverage set at 25 and timing set at 50. I feel like I hit too many open shots but not enough covered shots. If I change coverage to say 10 would I hit more covered shots or less? Also on 10 would I hit even more open shots or less?

EDIT: I feel like I might have to change other sliders to achieve what I want? I want it to be harder to make open shots but easier to make covered shots
I am exactly looking for the thing but don’t know how to change the sliders to get to what I want, I want to use user timing but not make so many wide open shots, instead I want my contested shots challenge by CPU to go in!
Old 04-11-2024, 08:46 PM   #5
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:

If you wanna make fewer open shots, lower the shot timing slider more. It means you'll have less control over the meter regardless of how open you are and thus greens don't always mean greens. There is no perfect way to only make fewer open shots but more contested shots because those are obviously completely opposite things.

You can absolutely tweak more than the two sliders to try and approach that goal, but if you want to make more covered shots, what that really means is you want the game to act like the defense isn't actually there, which means you'd raise the shot coverage slider NOT lower it -- thus the game will think you're open more often even when you're not (which I guess is slightly confusing, yes)

But like the article, I will tell you this will drive you insane trying to find what you're looking for. I would usually recommend settling for just trying to make fewer open 3s as a baseline and then maybe try tweaking from there but first solve the open 3s aspect.

This is how Mike Wang described them years ago just a heads up:

This slider [shot coverage impact] adjusts how much coverage impacts the outcome of a shot. At one end, I forget which off the top of my head, shot defense does nothing (open shots don't give a boost and covered shots don't give a penalty) and shots are decided just by shot timing and attributes. At the other end, shot coverage dramatically dictates whether you make or miss. Effectively, it makes open shots super easy to hit. This slider is useful if you're more of a sim head and want to reduce the gap between open and covered shots, which is actually closer to real life.

There's also a Shot Timing Impact slider. That one exaggerates the impact of shot timing. So on one end, bad timing will yield more misses and good timing will yield more makes than default. At the other end, it basically turns off timing bonuses/penalties altogether so it'll be like playing with Real Player % turned on.

Last edited by ChaseB; 04-11-2024 at 08:53 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-13-2024, 02:11 AM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
If you wanna make fewer open shots, lower the shot timing slider more. It means you'll have less control over the meter regardless of how open you are and thus greens don't always mean greens. There is no perfect way to only make fewer open shots but more contested shots because those are obviously completely opposite things.

You can absolutely tweak more than the two sliders to try and approach that goal, but if you want to make more covered shots, what that really means is you want the game to act like the defense isn't actually there, which means you'd raise the shot coverage slider NOT lower it -- thus the game will think you're open more often even when you're not (which I guess is slightly confusing, yes)

But like the article, I will tell you this will drive you insane trying to find what you're looking for. I would usually recommend settling for just trying to make fewer open 3s as a baseline and then maybe try tweaking from there but first solve the open 3s aspect.

This is how Mike Wang described them years ago just a heads up:

This slider [shot coverage impact] adjusts how much coverage impacts the outcome of a shot. At one end, I forget which off the top of my head, shot defense does nothing (open shots don't give a boost and covered shots don't give a penalty) and shots are decided just by shot timing and attributes. At the other end, shot coverage dramatically dictates whether you make or miss. Effectively, it makes open shots super easy to hit. This slider is useful if you're more of a sim head and want to reduce the gap between open and covered shots, which is actually closer to real life.

There's also a Shot Timing Impact slider. That one exaggerates the impact of shot timing. So on one end, bad timing will yield more misses and good timing will yield more makes than default. At the other end, it basically turns off timing bonuses/penalties altogether so it'll be like playing with Real Player % turned on.
Thanks for the reply, that's great, it makes a lot more sense to me now. I'll have a play around and try and find something that works for me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »