Home

UFC 236: Holloway v Poirier 2

This is a discussion on UFC 236: Holloway v Poirier 2 within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 04-14-2019, 01:27 AM   #17
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: UFC 236: Holloway v Poirier 2

Good to see Poirier win, he earned the title. Holloway was hurt early.

UFC should drop 'interim' and just have two simultaneous champions, in the appropriate situations, that are considered of equal worth. Then later they unify for the undisputed title.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:27 AM   #18
MVP

WarMMA's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmangala

UFC should drop 'interim' and just have two simultaneous champions, in situations that warrant it, that are considered of equal worth. Then later they unify for the undisputed title.
Yh its great to see Dustin finally win the big one and in his prime. He's been at it for a while man.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:29 AM   #19
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46

My god what a night.

I damn near wanted to cry for Poirier myself, I felt every bit of his emotion in that post-fight celebration. It's great to see a guy like that earn a belt after such a long road. Well-earned W. Max gave it his all, but that power differential came into play. The main and co-main delivered and then some.

Last edited by Pappy Knuckles; 04-14-2019 at 03:46 AM.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:35 AM   #20
MVP

WarMMA's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Knuckles
My god what a night.

I damn near wanted to cry for Poirier myself, I every bit of his emotion in that post-fight celebration. It's great to see a guy like that earn a belt after such a long road. Well-earned W. Max gave it his all, but that power differential came into play. To main and co-main delivered and then some.
Yh the power difference was crazy. It was like Dustin was freaking Mike Tyson...everytime he landed clean Max was rocked. I was thinking Max may have edged it out after Dustin began to slow down, but he never really stopped coming and did enough to get the nod of the judges. But yh tonight definitely delivered. Can't wait for Dustin/Khabib. That should be a fun fight.
Old 04-14-2019, 02:27 AM   #21
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmangala

UFC should drop 'interim' and just have two simultaneous champions, in the appropriate situations, that are considered of equal worth. Then later they unify for the undisputed title.
Issue with that is then how many belts do they end up with? They need to just say you have 6 months to defend. If you get hurt you can keep the belt, but you aren't the current champ. You come back and fight for the title or your belt is stripped. If you don't fight you are just stripped.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-14-2019, 02:44 AM   #22
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_rushing
Issue with that is then how many belts do they end up with? They need to just say you have 6 months to defend. If you get hurt you can keep the belt, but you aren't the current champ. You come back and fight for the title or your belt is stripped. If you don't fight you are just stripped.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
Two maximium in the case the current champ is injured or unable to defend for over 6-12m. You end back with one undisputed champion when they fight for unification.
Old 04-14-2019, 05:28 PM   #23
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_rushing
Gastelum just brought the wrong gameplan. Then screwed up when he didn't go for the finish in the 4th.

I don't think either wins the belt though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
which is why i didn't buy into the Isreal hype - he's a great fighter, but not spider in his prime by any means. Gastelum had a one dimensional game-plan and still nailed him repeatedly. His chin is just right there for anyone with a nice jab. On the flip-side though, it should provide for more entertaining fights at the top tier as he won't be a guy that never gets hit.

I thought Poirier won easily to be honest, it wasn't really close in my eyes, he clearly delivered much more damage by a wide margin. I really really like hollaway though, so I hope this one didn't steal his thunder as he's a menace at 145.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:34 PM   #24
MVP

WarMMA's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere
which is why i didn't buy into the Isreal hype - he's a great fighter, but not spider in his prime by any means. Gastelum had a one dimensional game-plan and still nailed him repeatedly. His chin is just right there for anyone with a nice jab. On the flip-side though, it should provide for more entertaining fights at the top tier as he won't be a guy that never gets hit.

I thought Poirier won easily to be honest, it wasn't really close in my eyes, he clearly delivered much more damage by a wide margin. I really really like hollaway though, so I hope this one didn't steal his thunder as he's a menace at 145.
Its gonna be interesting to see what Whittaker will be able to do in there against him.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »