Home

Yair Rodriguez cut from the UFC.

This is a discussion on Yair Rodriguez cut from the UFC. within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 06-07-2018, 09:47 PM   #25
Sassy

MacGowan's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Yair Rodriguez cut from the UFC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_rushing
The UFC could not renew her contract because of the union stuff
If she's an employee that's illegal.
Quote:
She wanted $100,000
Per fight, for a 2 fight contract. When denied she quickly offered to simply match her previous contract.
Quote:
she isn't that good
She's no CM Punk....
MMAJUNKIE currently has her ranked 13# greatest MMA female Bantamweight in the world.
TAPOLOGY has her at #11
ESPN has her at #10
But what the hell do they know, right? And it's not like the UFC's F bantamweight division is shallow? right? it's not like they could've really had the use for a solid gatekeeper in that division, right? #sarcasm
Quote:
she doesn't draw fans
She 's no Nicco Montano...
She has 20 000 twitter followers, and is a medium name in the female bantamweight division. which, did I mention is kinda shallow?
Quote:
So unless they have an email or tape of the UFC saying don't offer her a contract because of the unionizing, then they are covered
Ah, well then who cares if what the UFC did was effing illegal, as long as there's no smoking gun. Eff Leslie Smith cuz the UFC did something illegal and got away with it.

honestly i just think most people think with their hearts. "I don't like her, she looks smug"... and then they fill in the rest

Last edited by MacGowan; 06-07-2018 at 09:49 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-07-2018, 11:11 PM   #26
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGowan
If she's an employee that's illegal.

Per fight, for a 2 fight contract. When denied she quickly offered to simply match her previous contract.

She's no CM Punk....
MMAJUNKIE currently has her ranked 13# greatest MMA female Bantamweight in the world.
TAPOLOGY has her at #11
ESPN has her at #10
But what the hell do they know, right? And it's not like the UFC's F bantamweight division is shallow? right? it's not like they could've really had the use for a solid gatekeeper in that division, right? #sarcasm

She 's no Nicco Montano...
She has 20 000 twitter followers, and is a medium name in the female bantamweight division. which, did I mention is kinda shallow?

Ah, well then who cares if what the UFC did was effing illegal, as long as there's no smoking gun. Eff Leslie Smith cuz the UFC did something illegal and got away with it.

honestly i just think most people think with their hearts. "I don't like her, she looks smug"... and then they fill in the rest
In most states you can fire someone for no reason. Just because her contract wasn't renewed doesn't mean it was illegal (even if everyone knows it was to stop the union). Just like in corporations they cover themselves when firing someone and have other documented official reasons.

I'm not against her and I want the union to help the fighters out and stop all the favoritism in the UFC and set some rules.

Arguing that her contract was not renewed because she is trying to start a union is a losing battle. She hasn't signed anywhere else for more money than the UFC was paying her, in fact she hasn't signed anywhere. She is old in WMMA which outside of 2-3 fighters no one cares about. WME has been cutting cost lately and be honest that she just isn't worth that money to the UFC.

The best bet is to get employee status, which then gets applied to everyone. Then everyone has some protection, maybe can even get paid for training, benefits, etc. Then they can work on the union.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-2018, 11:16 PM   #27
Dave

Dave_S's Arena

I thought this was or pretty funny. I wonder if Al gets cut, lol.
Old 06-07-2018, 11:51 PM   #28
Sassy

MacGowan's Arena

Quote:
In most states you can fire someone for no reason. Just because her contract wasn't renewed doesn't mean it was illegal
That is illegal and called discrimination and is often tried and convicted in the US. If you fire a black woman because she is a black woman and say it was because of lie, lie, and lie, you are commiting a crime and there are federal agencies in place to prevent that. Just because there's no smoking gun does not make it any less illegal.
Quote:
(even if everyone knows it was to stop the union)
Well don't tell the NLRB that, they're a federal agency created for the purpose of preventing stuff like this. If they find out "everyone" knows she's not welcome in the UFC because of her unionising. Well that might be just what she needs. If i were her i would point to Ariel Helwani talking about it on air as if it's common knowledge.
Quote:
She hasn't signed anywhere else for more money than the UFC was paying her, in fact she hasn't signed anywhere.
What does that have to do with anything? You don't think she's gotten not one offer? maybe she's busy with, i don't know... filing claims against the UFC.
Quote:
She is old in WMMA which outside of 2-3 fighters no one cares about.
What aaare you talking about? she's 35. ranked #10 in the world by ESPN's Brett Okamoto, and has 20 000 followers.
Quote:
WME has been cutting cost lately and be honest that she just isn't worth that money to the UFC.
Well they sure saved that money by paying her 60 000$ instead of rebooking the fight/actually cutting her.
Quote:
The best bet is to get employee status, which then gets applied to everyone.
What the hell do you thinks she's currently doing? That's the FIRST thing the NLRB will have to decide because of HER claim.
Quote:
Then everyone has some protection, maybe can even get paid for training, benefits, etc. Then they can work on the union.
SOME protection. And a union is still a far away dream.
Old 06-08-2018, 12:05 AM   #29
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S
I thought this was or pretty funny. I wonder if Al gets cut, lol.
Nah Al has done much worse and he's still around.
Old 06-08-2018, 12:27 AM   #30
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGowan
That is illegal and called discrimination and is often tried and convicted in the US. If you fire a black woman because she is a black woman and say it was because of lie, lie, and lie, you are commiting a crime and there are federal agencies in place to prevent that. Just because there's no smoking gun does not make it any less illegal.
Well don't tell the NLRB that, they're a federal agency created for the purpose of preventing stuff like this. If they find out "everyone" knows she's not welcome in the UFC because of her unionising. Well that might be just what she needs. If i were her i would point to Ariel Helwani talking about it on air as if it's common knowledge.

What does that have to do with anything? You don't think she's gotten not one offer? maybe she's busy with, i don't know... filing claims against the UFC.

What aaare you talking about? she's 35. ranked #10 in the world by ESPN's Brett Okamoto, and has 20 000 followers.

Well they sure saved that money by paying her 60 000$ instead of rebooking the fight/actually cutting her.

What the hell do you thinks she's currently doing? That's the FIRST thing the NLRB will have to decide because of HER claim.

SOME protection. And a union is still a far away dream.
I guess you just don't understand how corporations work and how laws work. Corporations and the UFC aren't going to openly lie when firing someone. They document violations of policy, poor performance, written warnings, etc. It is all done to play within the laws to fire people legally, even though there is another reason that you can read between the lines and see.

The corporation I work for fires old people regularly, but they continue to do it, even though they have been sued and questioned about it by the various government agencies. They can get away with it because they offer retirement packages, document poor performance, etc.

There are legal loopholes and as long as you play within those, the federal agencies cannot do anything about it because they have to enforce those same laws.

The UFC hasn't cut other fighters that are active in the organization efforts, so there is no pattern. She has no evidence from other orgs willing to pay her more to prove the UFC had no reason to not renew her contract. The UFC also doesn't have to renew anyone's contract. It's just wasting time to focus on suing for the contract renewal, plus it would only help her and at best they settle to just make it go away.

Focus on the real issue that they can potentially win and get employee status.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
Old 06-08-2018, 12:35 AM   #31
Sassy

MacGowan's Arena

Are you not reading what I'm telling you? The claim Leslie Smith has put forth should make the NLRB have to decide whether she (and other ufc fighters) are employees.

that's the first thing the NLRB will have to do.

or do you want her to withdraw her claim, so she can make the NLRB decide whether the ufc fighters are employees with some whitchcraft instead perhaps?

Last edited by MacGowan; 06-08-2018 at 12:38 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-08-2018, 01:31 AM   #32
Dave

Dave_S's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Nah Al has done much worse and he's still around.
I think he just did it because that same tweet got Yair fired. (Temporarily)

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »