Home

5 Round Non-Title Fights

This is a discussion on 5 Round Non-Title Fights within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 05-14-2011, 10:24 AM   #1
2010,13,15,16 CHAMPS!

SidVish's Arena

OVR: 23
5 Round Non-Title Fights

I just saw MMA live and was a little surprised that Dana said that these are in the UFC's immediate future. I think I would agree with this in #1 contenders matches but not for all of them. Here's the transcript from the guys on MMA live. Gilbert Melendez was a guest with John Anik and Franklin McNeil.

Quote:
Anik: Rampage and Hamill, this will not be a five-round non-title fight main event, but that scenario is one that could be coming to the Octagon soon. UFC President Dana White said as much in Toronto; what do you guys think about a main event without a title on the line being five rounds?

Melendez: Well you know what, I think three five minute rounds is enough, but sometimes fights, like when I saw Rampage and Rashad Evans, it was like anti-climactic, you know I wanted to see two more rounds, and they were getting started, they were getting going, the flow was going, and I could use those two rounds. You know, sometimes styles are different, uh, it's a hard decision.

McNeil: I think they should go to five rounds whether it's a title eliminator or title fight, or non-title fight - and this is a great example. You know the main event fell off, now people are looking for a reason to go, why not have Rampage Jackson and Matt Hamill do a five rounder? I think it'll be more intriguing to the fans, it'll inspire even more fans to watch it...they're not cheated otherwise.

Anik: But where do you draw the line? I mean June 26th you've got Nate Marquardt against Anthony Johnson, it's not a title eliminator by all inidications, really you don't know exactly what's on the line, why would a fight like that be five rounds?

McNeil: Well maybe on Fight Nights and things like that [it shouldn't be], but I mean on UFC 120-whatever, 1-whatever, there should be that extra incentive for the fans, because people are already making plans long in advance before these fights are being cancelled, so you know they're getting hotel room, travel reservations, now they're kinda getting something taken away from them.

Melendez: I still don't see it making sense, I mean you gotta distinguish your champions from your non champions, so I mean they gotta come to some sorta agreement, maybe four rounds [for non title fights] and six rounds [for the title]. If they're gonna change it to five rounds, they need to change the championship fight to a little bit more, they need to have it separate somehow, in my opinion.

Anik: I mean if you wanna make a number one contender's bout five rounds, but you know I mean even Pettis-Guida, uh Pettis is all but guaranteed a title shot, Clay Guida isn't, I don't know why that fight would be five rounds, we gotta [leave the conversation] though...
"I thought LeBron James was just going to be another addition to help me score."
Ricky Davis
Quote:
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-14-2011, 11:32 AM   #2
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: 5 Round Non-Title Fights

Yeah for number 1 contender matches then yeah, I say a 5 round fight is needed.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:19 PM   #3
goh
Banned

OVR: 37

If the fight is worthy of being 5 then it should be 5. Looking at the ones coming up that'd be Carwin/JDS but that one is pointless even being 3 and Davis/Evans. Here's the thing though Lil Nog/Franklin looks like the headliner (for now) and that'd only be 3. We'll have co-mains being 5 and mains as 3. It's possible Edgar/Maynard gets moved there and a main 5,co-main 3 and middle fight as 5.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:49 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 18

An opinion of a casual fan:

I believe all title fights and PPV main events should be 5 rounds.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:59 AM   #5
Who? Giroux!

ManiacMatt1782's Arena

OVR: 26

Machida/Rampage should have been a 5 rounder.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »