Home

MLB The Show 22 - (PS5/Xbox Series X|S) Impressions

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 22 - (PS5/Xbox Series X|S) Impressions within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 04-08-2022, 10:05 AM   #353
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: MLB The Show 22 - (PS5/Xbox Series X|S) Impressions

I know the commentary is rough around the edges and has some stitching problems, but man, when its right, it is so damn good.

Boog referencing a hitter in a key spot, but not swinging the bat that great thus far into the season, was one that I heard last night for the first time when Tyler O'Neill batted in a key spot.

Like I said, it needs some work and cleanup, but its still pretty damn good.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 04-08-2022, 10:10 AM   #354
MVP

Hammerhunker's Arena

OVR: 22

I am quite impressed with this iteration out of the box, as I have with every one. With each title, the design team enhances, tweaks, repairs, reconstructs, etc. to make a new experience just a little different and special from the previous.

The one enhancement that I have gotten a kick out of are the varying sounds of the batted ball. Already, when I hear the "crack" while pitching, I go "crap!", LoL .

It's going to be a fun spring, summer and fall and winter and spring with this title!
Old 04-08-2022, 10:23 AM   #355
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhunker
I am quite impressed with this iteration out of the box, as I have with every one. With each title, the design team enhances, tweaks, repairs, reconstructs, etc. to make a new experience just a little different and special from the previous.

The one enhancement that I have gotten a kick out of are the varying sounds of the batted ball. Already, when I hear the "crack" while pitching, I go "crap!", LoL .

It's going to be a fun spring, summer and fall and winter and spring with this title!
maybe it's just me but it seems like there is a new crack sound on some of the foul balls that I hit. Kind of between the big crack and the ordinary one.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-08-2022, 11:11 AM   #356
MVP

KnightTemplar's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctguy2021
Is it me or does the ball seem just a little too big and shiney when put into play?

Sent from my IN2019 using Tapatalk
There’s a reason for that. At a long distance you wouldn’t even see the ball.
Old 04-08-2022, 11:12 AM   #357
MVP

KnightTemplar's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis135
Same thing happened to me... can't remember the exact details, but the walk did not make sense

Sent from my SM-F711U using Tapatalk
Make sure you make a bug report. The more it’s noted the more attention it gets.
Old 04-08-2022, 11:20 AM   #358
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhunker

Don't have and haven't played the game yet, but I do hear this on streams and it is noticeable (in a good way). It sounds really cool, even to the observer.
Old 04-08-2022, 11:32 AM   #359
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueHominid
Don't have and haven't played the game yet, but I do hear this on streams and it is noticeable (in a good way). It sounds really cool, even to the observer.
The bat sounds are spot on the best ever. It is amazing.
Madden 21 (PS5)
Dragons Dogma 2 (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 04-08-2022, 01:09 PM   #360
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Going to try and keep these points as quick hitters since I have a tendency to write up full novels.

Gameplay
This is solely on the field. Best it's ever been. This has never been a weakness for The Show. It isn't this year. Nearly everything looks and feels smooth.

I do wish the pitchers had more violent deliveries and that fielders looked a bit more organic fielding a high flyball/popup, but overall the game plays as good as any other sports game on the actual field.

Presentation
They knocked it out of the park. There are some quirks and more lines are needed, but what is there is full of quality. It about rivals what MLB 2k had going for it before it ended. Presentation was never the issue with MLB 2k. Sciambi may be the best PBP guy in any sports video game ever. It sounds so authentic. The main drawback is the limited lines at the moment, but it's year 1.

The presentation graphics and new camera angles are all great. I simply wish we had the True Broadcast back where nothing was ever skipped. The presentation is done so well, please don't fast forward 10 seconds if I never hit A/X. I'd gladly watch every single throwback to the pitcher while taking in the sounds of the ballparks. I hate they auto skip certain things at random even on Full Broadcast.

Graphics
There are some noticeable improvements to faces. Many faces with scans look next gen now.

Many textures in the game simply need to be updated. Skin textures are hit or miss, the grass and dirt textures desperately need updating, some aspects of the player models need upgrading. The pocket textures are still meh as are other small detail areas that you see consistently from any gameplay angle.

The graphics are far from bad, but they're also far from great at this point. They're very average, especially on these new powerful machines.

There are also way too many issues with FPS drops. I hit a walkoff HR last night. The celebration at the plate was clearly way below 30 fps and just jarring.

I haven't touched franchise yet. Overall, it's a breath of fresh air in the series with the new commentary, updated presentation packages, and the improvements to the gameplay on the field. As long as franchise mode doesn't break itself this year, I'll be playing this game plenty again. I dropped 21 very quickly and didn't even get a full season, which is not normal for me. I expect this year I'll be back to my old self getting in 3+ years in again. Hopefully if I do, they surprise us with Y2Y saves next year.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

― Plato

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »