Home

Best Pitches for the different archetypes

This is a discussion on Best Pitches for the different archetypes within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 04-05-2018, 06:40 PM   #41
Rookie

trackstar121388's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Best Pitches for the different archetypes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
So what archetype throws a straight change a circle change and a Vulcan change
Umm since you wouldn't be too worried about velocity I'd pick a control freak, but 3 change ups is a bit redundant.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-05-2018, 06:44 PM   #42
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar121388
Umm since you wouldn't be too worried about velocity I'd pick a control freak, but 3 change ups is a bit redundant.

lol
thats what I thought but I wasnt sure if there was a bugs bunny archtype

A Work in Progress
Old 04-05-2018, 09:54 PM   #43
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
Running fastball is my first suggestion.
If that ain't kosher, how 'bout a 12-6 curve?
And one last option, if I may suggest, the slurve.
Running fastball sounds good. I don’t wanna throw two curves. The slurve may be good too, what’s the average speed on it, about 80-85 right?
Quote:
I wish I would have added a knuckle or knuckle curve to my plain filthy. Although I do like my running fastball, circle change, and screwball so I don't know what I would have dropped to add it. Movement pitches are best for your archetype. I personally would recommend a circle change but since you're are saying your forkball is your change you could do a running fastball if you could find it it's better than a 4 seam for the archetype because of the movement and it moves the opposite way your cutter goes

I put a screwball on my first SP but he was a Flamethrower and it was before the patch so it was pretty much useless. It’s my favorite pitch but I’m probably never getting it now haha. I’m thinking about the circle too, since I think the forkball might end up as more of a power curve once it’s maxed out. I may be able to use the running fastball to work lefties like i do righties and vice versa woth my cutter, which is extremely appealing too.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:31 PM   #44
Rookie

trackstar121388's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseJoseph9119
Running fastball sounds good. I don’t wanna throw two curves. The slurve may be good too, what’s the average speed on it, about 80-85 right?

I put a screwball on my first SP but he was a Flamethrower and it was before the patch so it was pretty much useless. It’s my favorite pitch but I’m probably never getting it now haha. I’m thinking about the circle too, since I think the forkball might end up as more of a power curve once it’s maxed out. I may be able to use the running fastball to work lefties like i do righties and vice versa woth my cutter, which is extremely appealing too.
Oh that's too bad. The screwball is nasty with my pitcher. I'm planning of getting a cutter for the exact reason you're considering getting the runner. If you max the speed of a forkball at the 80 rating you can get to as a plain filthy pitcher and it'd be 89 mph. The circle change gets to 84, so does the slurve if the create-a-player numbers are accurate.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:58 PM   #45
Rookie

Quote:
Oh that's too bad. The screwball is nasty with my pitcher. I'm planning of getting a cutter for the exact reason you're considering getting the runner. If you max the speed of a forkball at the 80 rating you can get to as a plain filthy pitcher and it'd be 89 mph. The circle change gets to 84, so does the slurve if the create-a-player numbers are accurate.
This is pretty much all for naught now that I got permanently(?) moved to the bullpen after just two starts in the bigs. I should’ve seen it coming with all the prospects ahead of me with the Braves. I think I’ll make him a Rock Star since poor control and clutch situations is a bad mix. At least having a high 90s cutter and a mid(?) 90s forkball will be nasty still.

How did you find the potential pitch speeds?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-05-2018, 11:08 PM   #46
Rookie

trackstar121388's Arena

Quote:
This is pretty much all for naught now that I got permanently(?) moved to the bullpen after just two starts in the bigs. I should’ve seen it coming with all the prospects ahead of me with the Braves. I think I’ll make him a Rock Star since poor control and clutch situations is a bad mix. At least having a high 90s cutter and a mid(?) 90s forkball will be nasty still.

How did you find the potential pitch speeds?
I went into create a player and set the speed to the max the archetype allows (so a rockstar is able to max out so move your 3 or however many pitches your using to 99 ratings) and it should give you your numbers I might put a chart together with all max velocity on pitches per archetype

Old 04-06-2018, 12:24 AM   #47
Rookie

Quote:
I went into create a player and set the speed to the max the archetype allows (so a rockstar is able to max out so move your 3 or however many pitches your using to 99 ratings) and it should give you your numbers I might put a chart together with all max velocity on pitches per archetype

Dope. Could I get that chart from you?
Old 04-06-2018, 12:27 AM   #48
Rookie

trackstar121388's Arena

Quote:
Dope. Could I get that chart from you?
Yeah, I'll work on it tonight and post it in the group when I'm done