Home

MLB The Show 17 Q&A

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 17 Q&A within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 03-25-2017, 10:40 AM   #73
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: MLB The Show 17 Q&A

Why was the Nike Hurrache removed? It is only about a year and a half old and still worn my many. Also why do we have Rawlings batting gloves still in? No one wears those. I havent see someone wear a rawlings batting glove in years. Thanks.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:42 AM   #74
Rookie

Amazin's Arena

OVR: 3

Someone with a review copy told me you could not play a full season in Retro mode but rather only single games/exhibitions.

Can anyone confirm?

I also saw someone going through different views while playing a regular game and noticed "Retro" from the options concerning views. If choosing Retro I'm assuming that wouldn't change the gameplay mechanics at all between the pitcher/hitter would it?

One other question, can I make Shea Stadium my home stadium during season play?

Last edited by Amazin; 03-25-2017 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:48 AM   #75
Rookie

Margelofskya's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMISSIONERHBK9
There's no double header on June 10. For that series it's just four games from June 9 to June 12

Ok thanks, I was wondering how they were going to handle that

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2017, 10:55 AM   #76
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesFan13
T
If you have a Pro and your TV is 1080p and doesn't have HDMI 2.2 then the only option you will get is Higher Framerate. Trust me though, higher framerate option on 17 on a 1080p is still gorgeous.

It looks great. You can do it on a 1080p TV if it supports HDMI 2.2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomba
Sorry guys but I wanted to ask about the enhanced visuals settings.

I saw that someone posted that they had a tv from 2011 I have a non 4k from like 2015.

HDMI 2.2 is apparently NOT on my tv.

Ive been able to play certain pro game WITH the downsampling 1440p on it

does the enhanced visuals mode not be able to downsample if you don't have the proper hdmi output?

that seems weird?

I am NOT expecting to play in 4k but id like to be able to have the downsamplng that the ps4 pro is capable of or is the downsampling feature ONLY for qualified tv and 4k tvs?

Minus the high framerate
Ok, I think we should take another look at this whole scenario:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_SCEA_Sports
It is not really a "base" 1080p. We render internally at 4x, and then super-sample (or maybe multi-sample), I forget which, down to 1080p.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by The JareBear
I don't think we know for sure if HFR mode has downsampling or not.

I think the SCEA_Chris posted that the base mode on Pro has downsampling, but I dunno if that also is included with HFR mode as well. For 1080p displays and the Pro you may have to pick between stock framerate and increased image quality (base mode) or higher framerate and stock image quality (HFR mode).

This isn't official though, and nobody outside of SCEA knows for sure yet. We might just have to wait for GamingBolt, Nexus, DigitalFoundry, one of those sites to post a video breakdown

ANd yes, downsampling basically takes the internal resolution on the Pro, be it 1440p, 1800p, or 4k checkerboarding/native, and shrinks it down to your 1080p display, basically acting as increased anti-aliasing giving a sharper, cleaner imaque, reducing jaggies and shimmering, stuff like that

Ok, I am gonna take another stab at this.

Yesterday I was super excited to get impressions from all the fellas. After Philly's post, about enhanced visuals requiring 2.2, I was super confused to the point of feeling down on myself because I couldn't understand why I was struggling so hard to comprehend. I know the difference between HDR and resolution, I know how the Pro works, I have followed the whole deal since the very beginning.

Something about the way it seems to be set up, as Philly explained in his quoted post, doesn't make sense to me. By the way, this isn't attacking Philly, I was just quoting his post since his is the most recent/relevant. The way he describes it seems to be true, but I can't help but wonder why.

NO PS4 Pro mode supported game, to this point, has required HDMI 2.2 for downsampling on 1080p displays.

Downsampling is handled internally on the Pro. The 4k, or 1800p, or 1440p, or whatever resolution, is rendered on the Pro then downsampled to your 1080p display.

As a 1080p PS4 Pro gamer, this is the first I have heard anything about HDMI 2.2. I know 2.2 is required for 4k/60hz signal, but that has never applied to me as of yet.

Based on SCEA_Chris' post, and a whisper he sent to me on Twitch responding to a question I asked him directly (thank you, Chris, sincerely, I appreciate your time and attention) I think we may be looking at this incorrectly.

It seem, to me, that "enhanced visuals" mode has nothing to do with 1080p displays, period. Why would a 1080p display need HDMI 2.2 for a 1440p mode? Again, if this is the case it is something deliberately done by SCEA for this game, and would be the ONLY case of such a setup on the Pro so far.

I think "enhanced visuals" is a mode specifically for 4k users. It is for 4k users who who want a higher IQ than base, but better framerate than the native 4k mode (which seems to possibly be a little choppy here and there according to impressions).

If SCEA_Chris is correct, there is downsampling on 1080p displays for Pro users. It is not clear if it only applies to the base visual mode on Pro, or if it also applies to the HFR mode on Pro, could be one or both.

Does anyone who has the game early game on a 1080p non-2.2 set? If so, can you switch between base visual rendering mode, and the HFR mode, and try to notice any difference in clarity?

Does anyone who has the game early game on a 1080p HDMI 2.2 set? If so, can you confirm that it lets you pick enhanced visuals mode? I don't think this will be the case, as I explained above, it just seem to make sense, and would be the only case on Pro so far to have this kind of setup for 1080p displays.

Or, maybe guys with 4k sets can change your PS4 output to 1080p in the system settings and see if you can still select enhanced visuals mode?

Edit:

The hangup for me is what HDMI 2.2 has to do with enhanced visuals mode. When I think of every other game PS4 Pro game with options, like Nioh, Shador of Mordor, Tomb Raider, you can get all the downsampling you want with no issues on HDMI 1.4 1080 displays.

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.

Last edited by The JareBear; 03-25-2017 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:02 AM   #77
Banned

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by The JareBear
Ok, I think we should take another look at this whole scenario:

Ok, I am gonna take another stab at this.

Yesterday I was super excited to get impressions from all the fellas. After Philly's post, about enhanced visuals requiring 2.2, I was super confused to the point of feeling down on myself because I couldn't understand why I was struggling so hard to comprehend. I know the difference between HDR and resolution, I know how the Pro works, I have followed the whole deal since the very beginning.

Something about the way it seems to be set up, as Philly explained in his quoted post, doesn't make sense to me. By the way, this isn't attacking Philly, I was just quoting his post since his is the most recent/relevant. The way he describes it seems to be true, but I can't help but wonder why.

NO PS4 Pro mode supported game, to this point, has required HDMI 2.2 for downsampling on 1080p displays.

Downsampling is handled internally on the Pro. The 4k, or 1800p, or 1440p, or whatever resolution, is rendered on the Pro then downsampled to your 1080p display.

As a 1080p PS4 Pro gamer, this is the first I have heard anything about HDMI 2.2. I know 2.2 is required for 4k/60hz signal, but that has never applied to me as of yet.

Based on SCEA_Chris' post, and a whisper he sent to me on Twitch responding to a question I asked him directly (thank you, Chris, sincerely, I appreciate your time and attention) I think we may be looking at this incorrectly.

It seem, to me, that "enhanced visuals" mode has nothing to do with 1080p displays, period. Why would a 1080p display need HDMI 2.2 for a 1440p mode? Again, if this is the case it is something deliberately done by SCEA for this game, and would be the ONLY case of such a setup on the Pro so far.

I think "enhanced visuals" is a mode specifically for 4k users. It is for 4k users who who want a higher IQ than base, but better framerate than the native 4k mode (which seems to possibly be a little choppy here and there according to impressions).

If SCEA_Chris is correct, there is downsampling on 1080p displays for Pro users. It is not clear if it only applies to the base visual mode on Pro, or if it also applies to the HFR mode on Pro, could be one or both.

Does anyone who has the game early game on a 1080p non-2.2 set? If so, can you switch between base visual rendering mode, and the HFR mode, and try to notice any difference in clarity?

Does anyone who has the game early game on a 1080p HDMI 2.2 set? If so, can you confirm that it lets you pick enhanced visuals mode? I don't think this will be the case, as I explained above, it just seem to make sense, and would be the only case on Pro so far to have this kind of setup for 1080p displays.

Or, maybe guys with 4k sets can change your PS4 output to 1080p in the system settings and see if you can still select enhanced visuals mode?
No offense taken man. Basically what happened was when I played the game for the first time on Pro on my 1080p TV I selected high framerate option. Obviously HDR was locked for me. After a few minutes of that I wanted to see enhanced visuals. When I toggled the option on and then exited the menu, a game screen popped up saying something along the lines of to use this mode requires an HDMI 2.2 connection.

I got the new 4K TV yesterday but later on I can hook my Pro back up to that TV and take a screenshot of what exactly it said if you like. Not home at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 03-25-2017, 11:14 AM   #78
MVP

decga's Arena

OVR: 12

1. Gents & Ladies, if we're doing year to year save carry-over does the current schedule that your playing stay intact when uploading to MLBTS 17?

2. If anyone is using cyber faces in franchise, how will they appear when view their player card?
Old 03-25-2017, 11:20 AM   #79
SHOW TIME!!

The Kid 24's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh123
Why was the Nike Hurrache removed? It is only about a year and a half old and still worn my many. Also why do we have Rawlings batting gloves still in? No one wears those. I havent see someone wear a rawlings batting glove in years. Thanks.
Im wondering the same things... Mizuno batting gloves could be in the game instead of Rawlings.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 03-25-2017, 11:21 AM   #80
SHOW TIME!!

The Kid 24's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis135
I've said it a couple of times that the framerate on the regular ps4 is incredibly smooth to my eye. If I'm not real sensitive to framerates, will I even notice the difference between the reg ps4 and the high framerate on a pro. I'm trying to figure out if a pro is worth it for me since I only have a 1080p tv

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
I have a OG PS4 and 1080p TV, I really dont want to drop $200+ for a new system when it sounds like the game looks amazing on OG PS4.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Operation Sports mobile app

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »