Home

Let's Talk Zone Hitting Technique

This is a discussion on Let's Talk Zone Hitting Technique within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-21-2024, 12:49 PM   #1
Rookie

Barzalmode's Arena

OVR: 0
Let's Talk Zone Hitting Technique

So, before starting my franchise I'd like to discuss Zone Hitting techniques just to see if there's anything I'm missing.

With my technique, I place the the PCI arm side and up. If I were using the anchor it would be the top corner (arm side pitcher). I don't use the anchor because I don't feel connected enough for subtle movements, plus if I read dead middle I can just let go of the stick.

I think the reason I prefer this over letting the PCI sit in the middle is because it seems easier to get to high balls (at least fouling them off).

Also, yes I use the default hitting view and I won't be changing that. My results on Legend difficulty are well within reason and I really don't think zooming in yields any advantage. I think that's a case of monkey-see-monkey-do thanks to the YouTube influencers. Or maybe it's "simulation" vs "competitive" setting thing.

Last edited by Barzalmode; 04-24-2024 at 04:54 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-21-2024, 09:59 PM   #2
MVP

FluffyTonka's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Let's Talk Zone Hitting Technique

i have a different strategy for my hitters, and it's a little pitcher dependant. A good slider away, I'll stay on the part of the plate. A good cutter in, and I'll wait inside. A sinkerball, and i stay low and wait for something in the middle of the plate.

I might place my PCI around the plate for good hitters, on a hunch where i think the ball is coming.

For my poor hitters, i keep it central but choose high or low, and just hope to get one over the middle of the plate. if it doesn't come there, i don't swing and hope for a walk.

I love sinker ball pitchers bcos I will stay low in the zone the whole game, and eventually I connect. Cutterball pitchers seem to pitch more up and high in the zone, so i wait for them there.
Old 04-22-2024, 11:15 AM   #3
Rookie

Barzalmode's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffyTonka
i have a different strategy for my hitters, and it's a little pitcher dependant. A good slider away, I'll stay on the part of the plate. A good cutter in, and I'll wait inside. A sinkerball, and i stay low and wait for something in the middle of the plate.

I might place my PCI around the plate for good hitters, on a hunch where i think the ball is coming.

For my poor hitters, i keep it central but choose high or low, and just hope to get one over the middle of the plate. if it doesn't come there, i don't swing and hope for a walk.

I love sinker ball pitchers bcos I will stay low in the zone the whole game, and eventually I connect. Cutterball pitchers seem to pitch more up and high in the zone, so i wait for them there.

So, how have the results been for you? Which difficulty level/camera do you play on/with?
Old 04-24-2024, 12:40 PM   #4
Rookie

All depends on what mode I'm playing. If it's Franchise vs CPU I usually keep my PCI in the lower middle of the plate and look to pitches middle middle or down in the zone. I hit in HOF/competitive and currently batting .275 as a team (Blue Jays). Online it's a whole other ballgame. Everyone seems to have different pitching tendencies so it really varries from game to game. I find guys that use high velocity pitchers like Randy Johnson ect...usually target upper strike zone so I tend to start my PCI up in the zone. Admittedly I am a much better low ball hitter and probably why I struggle more online. I play Legend pitching/HOF batting and I'm 20-3 in my Franchise, yet in DD ranked I'm like 20-40.
Old 04-24-2024, 02:19 PM   #5
Rookie

Barzalmode's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendre1981
All depends on what mode I'm playing. If it's Franchise vs CPU I usually keep my PCI in the lower middle of the plate and look to pitches middle middle or down in the zone. I hit in HOF/competitive and currently batting .275 as a team (Blue Jays). Online it's a whole other ballgame. Everyone seems to have different pitching tendencies so it really varries from game to game. I find guys that use high velocity pitchers like Randy Johnson ect...usually target upper strike zone so I tend to start my PCI up in the zone. Admittedly I am a much better low ball hitter and probably why I struggle more online. I play Legend pitching/HOF batting and I'm 20-3 in my Franchise, yet in DD ranked I'm like 20-40.
Just curious as to why use "competitive" over "simulation" for offline franchise?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2024, 04:02 PM   #6
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffyTonka

I'm similiar. Depending on the pitcher and who I'm hitting with. Early in the count or when I'm ahead in the count I'll try to look for pitches I can handle in spots that are a strength to the hitter.

If I fall behind in the count, I'll start to look for pitches I think the hitter is going to try to get me out on, and adjust as needed.

This was the approach to hitting I took IRL, now I just taylor it to my hitters strength and what the pitcher's repetoire consists of.
Old 04-24-2024, 04:50 PM   #7
Rookie

Barzalmode's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
I'm similiar. Depending on the pitcher and who I'm hitting with. Early in the count or when I'm ahead in the count I'll try to look for pitches I can handle in spots that are a strength to the hitter.

If I fall behind in the count, I'll start to look for pitches I think the hitter is going to try to get me out on, and adjust as needed.

This was the approach to hitting I took IRL, now I just taylor it to my hitters strength and what the pitcher's repetoire consists of.

Do you leave the PCI in the middle when this is your approach? Or are you still guessing location?
Old 04-24-2024, 05:49 PM   #8
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barzalmode
Do you leave the PCI in the middle when this is your approach? Or are you still guessing location?
I'm using the PCI to sit in a certain spot and adjust from there. Early in the count if it's not a pitch I like and not where I can handle it I'll take it. Obviously if I get behind in the count, I'll do the same thing but if it's a pitch away from where I'm looking and it's close to the plate, I'll take a cut, hoping to foul it off or slap it somewhere the defense isn't. Hitting with 2 strikes is tough IRL and in this game.

The only thing that really changes for me, is ahead in the count I'm looking for a pitch in my hitters happy zone. Behind in the count I'm starting to look for pitches where I think the pitcher thinks he can get me out, and will be a little more aggressive in my pitch selection.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »