Home

Suggested Rebranded Team Names.

This is a discussion on Suggested Rebranded Team Names. within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 04-13-2024, 10:44 AM   #25
"ADAPT OR DIE"

jcar0725's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Suggested Rebranded Team Names.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Of The Year
I kind of feel like Cleveland ownership got sold on the idea of Guardians because of the -dians part of the name. They should have went with Engines if they did indeed want a similar name as Indian.
Maybe I should just rebrand the Show version of Guardians to Cleveland Cowboys and call it a day.
Yeah for me it's just a name I don't care that much. But they definitely took the easy, safe route with Guardians. I would have gone for a total rebrand and really make a huge unique change.

However, I still think if you really look at all the pro team nicknames, there are a lot of goofy ones.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-13-2024, 11:06 AM   #26
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcar0725
Yeah for me it's just a name I don't care that much. But they definitely took the easy, safe route with Guardians. I would have gone for a total rebrand and really make a huge unique change.

However, I still think if you really look at all the pro team nicknames, there are a lot of goofy ones.
Yeah, Angels, Nationals, Astros, Padres all need a rebrand. Terrible nickname choices in my own opinion. The best names are teams like Pirates, Tigers, Giants. Those inspire images of teams to be feared. On the one hand I like names like Cardinal, Orioles, Blue Jays, but those don't really conjure up the idea you don't mess around with this team. On the whole, NFL teams did a better job for the most part picking great names. Raiders, Buccaneers, Bengals, Bears, Lions. Even their ''bird'' teams sound more ferocious than MLB bird teams. Ravens, Eagles, Falcons. Even Seahawks is more inspiring than MLB birds. Its almost like MLB teams have always had it in mind to go with ''friendly'' than ferocious. Look at the difference in Chicago Cubs versus Chicago Bears. Is it really any wonder the Arizona Cardinals couldn't cut it in Chicago, trying to compete with Bears for fan attention? What would be a cool idea in the Show is to rebrand as many MLB teams as possible into an NFL named team. So like Dodgers would become Rams, Rays could be Jaguars. I will give the edge to Marlins over Dolphins however, and D'Backs over Cardinals.
#44Syracuse
One's convicted, the other's a born liar.
Instead of George and Reggie, Billy Martin could have been talking about Donald and Joe.
Nov. 5, Choose: None of the Above
Old 04-13-2024, 11:14 AM   #27
"ADAPT OR DIE"

jcar0725's Arena

Quote:
Yeah, Angels, Nationals, Astros, Padres all need a rebrand. Terrible nickname choices in my own opinion. The best names are teams like Pirates, Tigers, Giants. Those inspire images of teams to be feared. On the one hand I like names like Cardinal, Orioles, Blue Jays, but those don't really conjure up the idea you don't mess around with this team. On the whole, NFL teams did a better job for the most part picking great names. Raiders, Buccaneers, Bengals, Bears, Lions. Even their ''bird'' teams sound more ferocious than MLB bird teams. Ravens, Eagles, Falcons. Even Seahawks is more inspiring than MLB birds. Its almost like MLB teams have always had it in mind to go with ''friendly'' than ferocious. Look at the difference in Chicago Cubs versus Chicago Bears. Is it really any wonder the Arizona Cardinals couldn't cut it in Chicago, trying to compete with Bears for fan attention? What would be a cool idea in the Show is to rebrand as many MLB teams as possible into an NFL named team. So like Dodgers would become Rams, Rays could be Jaguars. I will give the edge to Marlins over Dolphins however, and D'Backs over Cardinals.
I agree with all of this except, Miami Dolphins is just so iconic to me !

But yeah a lot of MLB team names are relatively friendly sounding. And some are just weird. Dodgers. Yankees. The Sox names, Twins, etc
Old 04-13-2024, 01:41 PM   #28
MVP

GoDucks1224's Arena

Just have to say as a Sioux man who grew up on a reservation in South Dakota before moving west... The Cleveland name change was a good idea. Ditching Chief Wahoo was the best idea. I know folks refuse to believe that ‘real Indians’ care about this stuff but I can assure you, we do. Redskins were by far the most hated on my res, but Indians because of Wahoo were right there too. Chiefs and Braves aren’t as hated, except the chop. Which is a disgrace. Also yes, those of us not being paid to say otherwise do also hate FSU’s chop and the fact that Osceola is played by a white student in brown face. But the Florida Seminole people are the only ones who could change that and don’t so it is what it is. Anyways. I prefer California Angels to LA Angels lol.
Old 04-15-2024, 02:20 PM   #29
MVP

Madden08PCgmr's Arena

Quote:
Alot of those team names have cultural significance.

Padres - Spanish Missions, one of which was infamously burned down

Nationals - DC is the nations capital. I think they would have gone with Senators, but it is probably still trademarked by the Twins

Astros - Houston, NASA

Its more about the logo to me than the name. Does it look good on a cap?
Old 04-15-2024, 11:32 PM   #30
MVP

zello144's Arena

Quote:
What the **** is a National supposed to be? an American?
Old 04-16-2024, 07:16 AM   #31
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by THESHAMISASHAME
You truly don't get it they're trying to change the history and not for good reasons it's nothing more than virtue signaling and the Washington name changes are horrible you're obviously younger it's good to have tradition just like having a mother and a father I have no idea why you would want to change one of the most iconic names in all of sports the Yankees please don't respond to me I'm Blown Away by that
Boomer sooner?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-16-2024, 08:58 AM   #32
"ADAPT OR DIE"

jcar0725's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by zello144
What the **** is a National supposed to be? an American?
I believe it means an individual who was born in a specific nation and is a natural citizen under protection of that nation.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »