Home

CPU Strike Frequency - Leave It Alone (Discussion)

This is a discussion on CPU Strike Frequency - Leave It Alone (Discussion) within the MLB The Show Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 04-05-2015, 03:36 PM   #1
Hoping for change...

PsychoBulk's Arena

OVR: 23
CPU Strike Frequency - Leave It Alone (Discussion)

At last...in my opinion, this one slider that always caused so much consternation, so divided opinion, and almost univerally HAD to be reduced year on year to get realistic ratios/walk totals etc...NO MORE!

Ive played now 17 games since getting the game (not the largest sample size granted) but ive seen enough from my collated stats to tell me this year...its different.

Remember, CPU Strike Frequency only affects EARLY counts, NOT the whole at bat, so whats key here is basically first pitch strike numbers, percentages, basically.

The real MLB first pitch strike percentage was 60.3% last year, in 2014.

From my 17 games on DEFAULT CPU Strike Frequency...

64%
51%
70%
67%
58%
58%
64%
72%
51%
60%
61%
63%
57%
71%
51%
61%
66%

The average of those 17 games?

61.47%

That, fellow slider men, is, based on the history of this series with this slider...INCREDIBLE!

Generally in years past this figure has always been around 70% or above in game, way too high, and its needed the CPU K Frequency slider clipping to 2 or 3 to correct the problem - well no more.

Of course there will always be differences here, due to play styles/whos pitching etc, if you swing at what was going to be a ball its a strike etc, that can distort the figures, i get that, we all know that, but never, ever, in the history of this series has it been so damn good, this slider, on DEFAULT!

Now, the reason for this thread is because ive read through all the other respected slider makers sets and, aside from one, youve all (automatically probably from years past and i dont blame you for this) clipped the CPU Strike Frequency down...im here to say i dont think you need to, in fact if you are going down to 2/3 and even 4 to a degree, you are putting the CPU at a likely disadvantage in early counts, because my stats show (and yes, 17 games, yada yada) that its not needed.

Of course you will still get some games in the 70's and some in the low 50's etc, and you SHOULD, the 60.3 in real MLB last year is just an average, doesnt mean every game should regress to the mean, but my overall average, when i calculated it, staggered me, knowing the history of this slider, that i simply had to start this thread.

Id like to hear other slider gurus thoughts on this, you may not be seeing it, you may, i dont know, but i can guarantee you this...this key slider is NOT working the same way it did in years gone by and there definitely needs to be adjustments made for it.

Discuss away!

Last edited by PsychoBulk; 04-05-2015 at 03:39 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-05-2015, 04:08 PM   #2
MVP

jr86's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: CPU Strike Frequency - Leave It Alone (Discussion)

Yes, I tend to agree, I've been running with it at 4 with realistic results, but I don't see why it wouldn't be perfectly fine at default.
But dropping below 4 imo is not necessary this year.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:17 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Great post and analysis - I'm seeing a TON of 2-0 counts this year from the more average pitchers with this slider on default, while the aces seem to get the first pitch over more frequently. It makes each game feel different (well, unless they have a bunch of scrubs in the rotation ) I've played a lot of games on All-Star and HOF hitting combined, and it definitely holds true for both of those levels.

Couple this with my improved approach to hitting (basically I'm being VERY selective in the early counts and not swinging at anything that looks like a corner) and pitch counts in my games have gone up dramatically, bringing walks and k's with them. I've had some games where I've walked 5 or 6 times, whereas in previous years I've had to scratch and claw with the sliders to even get 2 or 3.
Old 04-05-2015, 05:23 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47

Yeah, just started playing last night, but didn't see any jarring issues.

I just take until I get a strike and was able to draw multiple walks each game I played.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:03 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Just had a game where I walked 7 times and struck out 7 times on All-Star Default sliders. First pitch strike % 64. Soooooo good.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-05-2015, 06:56 PM   #6
MVP

BrianU's Arena

OVR: 2

I am using nomo2k's spreadsheet he used last year to track stats of CPU vs CPU games and in the limited amount of games ive run so far CPU vs CPU All-star difficulties (16 games) I am using spot on total strike percentage and slightly low first pitch strike percentage.

So adjusting the Strike Frequency slider ONLY affects the first pitch strikes we know for sure?

I also should add that I am seeing the foul ball percentage spot on with that slider at default also.

EDIT: And the best news for me at least, from my tests so far it looks like we can again use Pitch Speed 10 while at the same time keeping realistic stolen base %. Last year using Pitch Speed 10 resulted in stolen base % around 45 when in real life its around 70%.

Last edited by BrianU; 04-05-2015 at 07:05 PM.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:03 PM   #7
Hoping for change...

PsychoBulk's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianU

So adjusting the Strike Frequency slider ONLY affects the first pitch strikes we know for sure?
The explanation for the slider is that affects the "early count", so it could well be the second pitch as well as the first, but in terms of dictating the final outcome of an at bat, as we all know, the first pitch is the most crucial.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:07 PM   #8
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0

Nice Analysis. I would like a 30-40 game sample size before I say positively yes.
But I have it at 4 and have been very pleased with it there. I agree anything lower is excessive on All-Star.

Default plays really great this year. This game is always easy to fine tune to my style. It's a pleasure.
Madden 21 (PS5)
Dragons Dogma 2 (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders »