Home

Orlando Arcia Arm?

This is a discussion on Orlando Arcia Arm? within the MLB The Show Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 03-28-2024, 07:33 PM   #9
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Orlando Garcia Arm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Just looking at the Baseball Savant data I think I see how they got to this rating. Their Arm Strength metrics are average velocity of the top 5% throws that season.

In 2021 , they had him at 91.9 in 2021 which was near the top.

In 2022 it was 83.2 which was below average

In 2023 it was 86.9 which was slightly above average. (Ranked #18 amongst all Shortstops)

Overall they (Baseball Savant) have his arm strength rating at 61 (on their scale 50 is average). I think The Show uses these or similiar metrics and does some sort of weighted average over the previous 3 seasons. Or at least they did at one point. That would kind of make sense as to where his rating is in the game.

Me personallyI see their (Baseball Savant) current rating of 61 and his past 3 years and would probably rate him upper 70's to lower 80's but that's purely my opinion.
Yeah Baseball Savant/Statcast is fantastic. I don't think there's any doubt in my mind this is where MLBTS gets its numbers from, at least in Arm Strength and Speed. I can see Arcia being given low 70's. In 2021, Baseball Savant rated his Arm Strength at 95 out of 100 scale. The numbers clearly show Arcia's arm strength wasn't as strong as it was in 2023 comperd to two years earlier because in 2023 he rated 66 out of a 100 scale.
In terms of mph and arm strength, the numbers don't lie, Arcia isn't old by any stretch but nearing 30 years age, there are definitely younger stronger shortstops with even better arms than Arcia. Sure, just looking at only Arcia you can easily say with an eyetest he has a cannon compared to what kind of arms you have seen before , but considering the here-and-now, we can't have 30 shortstops with 99 arm strength. I'm fine with Arcia at 71, me personally.
#44Syracuse
Old 03-28-2024, 08:10 PM   #10
MVP

slthree's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Of The Year
Yeah Baseball Savant/Statcast is fantastic. I don't think there's any doubt in my mind this is where MLBTS gets its numbers from, at least in Arm Strength and Speed. I can see Arcia being given low 70's. In 2021, Baseball Savant rated his Arm Strength at 95 out of 100 scale. The numbers clearly show Arcia's arm strength wasn't as strong as it was in 2023 comperd to two years earlier because in 2023 he rated 66 out of a 100 scale.
In terms of mph and arm strength, the numbers don't lie, Arcia isn't old by any stretch but nearing 30 years age, there are definitely younger stronger shortstops with even better arms than Arcia. Sure, just looking at only Arcia you can easily say with an eyetest he has a cannon compared to what kind of arms you have seen before , but considering the here-and-now, we can't have 30 shortstops with 99 arm strength. I'm fine with Arcia at 71, me personally.
Another great post. You guys are awesome. Even if it hurts my team, I have to defer to the truth, to accuracy.

I'm gonna drop to 75 even though it probably is correct at 71. But, I'm old and i still chase that damn circle change in the dirt, so I need to take a few liberties here and there to make up for it
Old 03-28-2024, 08:16 PM   #11
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by slthree
Another great post. You guys are awesome. Even if it hurts my team, I have to defer to the truth, to accuracy.

I'm gonna drop to 75 even though it probably is correct at 71. But, I'm old and i still chase that damn circle change in the dirt, so I need to take a few liberties here and there to make up for it
My apologies, I wasn't really trying to sway you. I also think 82 is a fair arm strength for Arcia. But 95 like he was at his strongest might be a bridge too far.
#44Syracuse
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-29-2024, 10:08 AM   #12
TrueSim Projects-Creator

Cycloniac's Arena

OVR: 13

Late to the party, but will echo the good things said about Baseball Savant

We have Arcia at a 74, using his best average throw grade from the past 2 seasons.

Old 03-29-2024, 10:52 AM   #13
MVP

slthree's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycloniac
Late to the party, but will echo the good things said about Baseball Savant

We have Arcia at a 74, using his best average throw grade from the past 2 seasons.
Are you kidding? It's never too late for you to join the party! Hearing from somebody who's meticulously putting together a roster means a lot.

Now, get the heck out of here and finish that roster because I'm checking every 5 minutes. Lol
Old 03-30-2024, 07:07 AM   #14
Rookie

Re: Orlando Arcia Arm?

They change the defense ratings so often I honestly dont know what theyre doing. Then they'll drop a 1st baseman's arm strength to 36???
Old 04-02-2024, 08:05 AM   #15
Rookie

Is this based on all throws for all plays? I'm asking because I don't know if these numbers from Baseball Savant can account for the other factors that could play into throw speed being lower. Two of them being range and positioning. Could a less instinctive SS with a big arm HAVE to make hard throws more often because they get a late jump or weren't in good starting position of the bat? I genuinely don't know if this plays a factor, I'm just asking. Can someone clarify this for me?

Sent from my SM-F946U using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2024, 09:57 AM   #16
TrueSim Projects-Creator

Cycloniac's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSK1979
Is this based on all throws for all plays? I'm asking because I don't know if these numbers from Baseball Savant can account for the other factors that could play into throw speed being lower. Two of them being range and positioning. Could a less instinctive SS with a big arm HAVE to make hard throws more often because they get a late jump or weren't in good starting position of the bat? I genuinely don't know if this plays a factor, I'm just asking. Can someone clarify this for me?

Sent from my SM-F946U using Operation Sports mobile app
Not sure if this will answer your question, but it may

Quote:
Statcast position player arm strength metrics are available beginning with the 2020 season. Given that there is no rulebook definition of "a throw where the player is trying hard," and many non-competitive lobs are captured, we have elected to take the average of the top portion of a player's throws.

Since the demands of each position grouping are different, the averages and qualifiers are different as well.
1B -- average of top 1% of throws -- minimum 100 throws to qualify
2B/SS/3B -- average of top 5% of throws -- minimum 75 throws to qualify
OF -- average of top 10% of throws -- minimum 50 throws to qualify

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters »