Home

Great Rex Dickson Interview

This is a discussion on Great Rex Dickson Interview within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 08-31-2015, 04:34 AM   #33
MVP

Sheba2011's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Great Rex Dickson Interview

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateDogPack12
Two really fundamental takeaways from this interview get me excited. Firstly, to hear Rex talk so clearly about how CFM is lacking leaves me optimistic. They know this is a weakness and they know their franchise mode needs to take a big leap forward. I truly expect this to be the focal point for '17 and it makes me excited. If they're truly committed to authenticating the NFL experience, I'll keep coming back, but they have to show me something after a very disappointing '16 CFM rollout thus far. It's the little things like Practice Squads, Formation Subs, Custom Packages and realistic depth charts that could really take things to the next level. Give us coordinators and a progression system that isn't so cumbersome. I just don't feel like it should take me half an hour to upgrade my football team.

Secondly, I want to know what that "fifth pillar" was he was referencing. At first I thought it would be war in the trenches, but that www previously mentioned. I don't expect to see truly potent OL / DL interaction until '18, but there is another noteworthy factor he didn't want to divulge because it'll be the lynchpin component of '17.
I am hoping the 5th pillar is more coaching related (actual game-planning, defensive assignments etc).
Old 08-31-2015, 11:11 AM   #34
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd51
I'm just glad he's not hiding in the shadows and being honest and open about the things they need to work on. I don't recall any dev from the team being this transparent about the game's flaws in the past and owning (not hiding from) the mistakes they've made.

It's really refreshing to see from that team and actually has me really believing they're doing everything in their power to make amends for the poorness in quality over the past few years. I like this Rex guy.
I've heard the interview and ^^ is about all I can say. I guess he can be credited for owning up to the issues that the guys before him allowed to creep in but I didn't take away anything as earth shattering as many of the posters seem to have taken. Meh
Old 08-31-2015, 11:46 AM   #35
Aqua?!

bigd51's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan
I've heard the interview and ^^ is about all I can say. I guess he can be credited for owning up to the issues that the guys before him allowed to creep in but I didn't take away anything as earth shattering as many of the posters seem to have taken. Meh
Nothing earthshattering, but if there's one thing the gaming community loves is a developer who isn't afraid to not only own to the mistakes, but to directly address the Aggressive Catch spammers online by saying
Quote:
it pisses him off
when he sees guys spamming Verts and just lobbing it up whenever they have a 3rd/4th and long; that watching players use this implement he and his team worked hard to make the game more realistic as a way to cheese online
Quote:
isn't how you play real football
It's more about, for the first time in a LONG time, the hardcore crowd seems to finally have a guy fighting for us and trying to get back to sim football.. not just brushing us to the side like we're a dying breed. The future looks very bright, indeed. Madden's not getting my money this year, but if he keeps trucking along the way he's going right now, he may just win me back for '17.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-31-2015, 11:50 AM   #36
Pro

T5063's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan
Seeing that M16 just came out last week I wouldn't expect him to give too many details on the next title. Just the fact that a dev would discuss these kinds of issues so soon after launch is "earth shattering" in itself.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:08 PM   #37
Rookie

Cedrik's Arena

OVR: 1

I love how he was genuinely angry with the CFM bugs and wasn't making any excuses.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:41 PM   #38
Emerald Archer

Sphinx's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedrik
I love how he was genuinely angry with the CFM bugs and wasn't making any excuses.
Yeah this was what stuck out to me as well. He knows it's a feature people want to play and it not working out of the gate is unacceptable and he admits that. That's something not many developers would do.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:45 PM   #39
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Sure, it's nice to hear these things said. But he's not the first Madden developer to admit there are problems with the game.

At this point, it's a bunch of talk. To call the bugs in CFM unacceptable means nothing, because they were accepted and the game shipped with them.

None of this really means anything until fixes are made.

Watch me play video games

Last edited by Jr.; 08-31-2015 at 08:49 PM.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:03 PM   #40
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
Sure, it's nice to hear these things said. But he's not the first Madden developer to admit there are problems with the game.

At this point, it's a bunch of talk. To call the bugs in CFM unacceptable means nothing, because they were accepted and the game shipped with them.

None of this really means anything until fixes are made.
I think we can get a little bit more excited than that. Since the first time I heard about him, I've been favorably impressed.

A few years ago he was in a interview with Clint on a podcast that was put up at OS. He was matter of factual about the state of the game and stated at the time that DPI would make it's entrance in Madden 15 and if not 15, no later than Madden 16. He also said the same thing about WR/DB interractions.

Normally, I would agree with you if he didn't have a past ground to stand on, but I can give Rex the benefit of the doubt based on the above paragraph and know it will be fixed.

I'm still not pleased it was released in that state.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »