Home

Return of "The Office?"

This is a discussion on Return of "The Office?" within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 12-19-2017, 12:18 PM   #1

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41
Return of "The Office?"

http://tvline.com/2017/12/18/the-off...2018-new-cast/

(No Steve Carell)

Quote:
NBC is getting ready to put pen to paper on a revival of The Office.

Sources confirm to TVLine exclusively that the Peacock network is eyeing a continuation of the beloved workplace comedy for the 2018-2019 season. The revival would once again be set at Dunder Mifflin’s Scranton, PA., branch, and feature a mix of new and old cast members. Steve Carell, who starred as the branch’s regional manager, Michael Scott, for seven of the comedy’s nine seasons, will not be involved in the new series. The search for a new RM/boss is said to be already underway.

TV Reboots and Revivals: A Complete Guide
Launch Gallery
NBC declined to comment on or confirm any details of this story.

Roughly a month before NBC’s successful relaunch of Will & Grace, network president Bob Greenblatt revealed to reporters that his revival wish list included The Office (as well as 30 Rock). “We often talk about The Office,” the exec told our sister site Deadline. “I’ve talked to Greg [Daniels] four times over the past few years. It’s always, ‘Maybe someday, but not now’. There is certainly an open invitation, but we don’t have anything happening right now. If he wants to do it, I would do it.”

NBC’s Will & Grace revival has been a critical and commercial success for the network. Last week, the sitcom even landed multiple Golden Globe nominations (including for Best Comedy Series).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-19-2017, 12:49 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

cima's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Return of "The Office?"

Wow after what, 4 years of being off the air?

Not sure how to feel. They need a really strong lead and Carell set the bar really really high. Andy as boss was horrible. Same w/ Robert California. The show was already going downhill during Carell's last 2 seasons and it was beyond awful in Season 8. Season 9 was better than 8 but that wasn't saying much.

I've re-watched The Office on Netflix about 5-7x, and 2 or 3 times I've stopped and re-started again after Carell's last episode.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:04 PM   #3
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by cima
Wow after what, 4 years of being off the air?

Not sure how to feel. They need a really strong lead and Carell set the bar really really high. Andy as boss was horrible. Same w/ Robert California. The show was already going downhill during Carell's last 2 seasons and it was beyond awful in Season 8. Season 9 was better than 8 but that wasn't saying much.

I've re-watched The Office on Netflix about 5-7x, and 2 or 3 times I've stopped and re-started again after Carell's last episode.
We just re-watched over the summer...They would need a great lead like you say for it to survive. Might be possible though, sprinkling in a couple old cast pop ins over time.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:05 PM   #4
Post Like a Champion!

jake44np's Arena

OVR: 22

No thanks, Love the original but no Steve... No watch.
I tried watching the new Will and Grace, and its just not the same.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:41 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

cima's Arena

The Office had such a perfect ending too, despite how bad the season was overall. Not sure how you bring back the majority of the cast without un-doing a lot of stuff. So Dwight isn't in charge anymore? Cause it said they're already looking for a lead for the show to be boss. Did Athleap fail? Otherwise with no Jim and Pam, on top of already no Michael, what's the point? Kevin has a bar, Stanley is retired, Andy is at Cornell...everyone is in so many different places. I get there'd be a lot of new characters but I don't think Dwight alone with a bunch of new people can succeed.

Also if they're pointing to Will & Grace's return being a success as a reason to do it...isn't all of the major cast from Will & Grace on this current revival? That's probably why it works!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-19-2017, 01:47 PM   #6
Greatest caddie ever!

youvalss's Arena

OVR: 42

I consider The Office among my top-3 favorite shows. But no Steve Carell = something different. I'm sure they will find someone better than how it was the last 2 seasons, but I think The Office ended a bit post-prime. Bringing it back now is like Wizards MJ (or post Wizards days). Just leave it alone.

Why does everything today need to be about rebooting, bringing back, unnecessary sequels etc.?

ZX Spectrum
CPU: Z80 @ 3.5 MHz
GPU: Monochrome display
RAM: 48 KB
Old 12-19-2017, 02:45 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

cima's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by youvalss
I consider The Office among my top-3 favorite shows. But no Steve Carell = something different. I'm sure they will find someone better than how it was the last 2 seasons, but I think The Office ended a bit post-prime. Bringing it back now is like Wizards MJ (or post Wizards days). Just leave it alone.

Why does everything today need to be about rebooting, bringing back, unnecessary sequels etc.?
No one can be original anymore. Granted, movies have been around for awhile and I know lots of stories have been told, but re-making something popular is an easy cash grab.

The Office had a good run and doesn't need a revival IMO, it's just too complicated. But something like, say the rumors of a 9th season of Dexter? That show absolutely needs a revival to undo the horse **** they ended with. At the same time though, I had high expectations for Heroes: Reborn and that sucked too.
Old 12-19-2017, 02:48 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake44np
No thanks, Love the original but no Steve... No watch.
I tried watching the new Will and Grace, and its just not the same.
Yeah, I had the same reaction. After three episodes I felt kind of bad deleting it from my series record.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »