Home

Sound Bars: Which ones work the best?

This is a discussion on Sound Bars: Which ones work the best? within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 08-21-2012, 01:49 AM   #9
Stayin Alive

GAMEC0CK2002's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Sound Bars: Which ones work the best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
Pulled the trigger on the LG

Hard to pass up for that price..had a gift certificate I've been holding for months and amazon prime so it cost me nothing

Just got the TV the TV stand and now this...the recliner is last and the major game room stuff is complete

I was reading up on a bunch of stuff about hdmi vs optical which I like and HDMI gives more of a loss less audio transfer but I wasn't exactly looking for a Bose system. I love as stated above that the sub is wireless...can't wait to play 2k with this stuff..oh and sleeping dogs

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk
Friends don't let friends overpay for Bose systems. Just a FYI.

IMO, lossless is infinitely better than lossy audio tracks but you won't notice the difference on a sound bar.

Don't forget you'll probably need 2 optical cables. 1 for your blu ray player and 1 more if you want the sound bar to handle audio from your satellite/cable box/OTA.

Last edited by GAMEC0CK2002; 08-21-2012 at 02:02 AM.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:26 AM   #10
Extra Life 11/3/18

ExtremeGamer's Arena

OVR: 70

After having a big 5.1 sound system for years, I downgraded to a soundbar a few months ago. With kids and everything else, it just became more difficult to crank it up, plus hated wires everywhere.

I went with the Yamaha YAS 101.

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YAS-101...=operasport-20

I love it, does simulated 7.1, while it's obvious there's not rear speakers nor dos it sound like it does, it definitely gives a very full sound in my room. And there's times it sounds like the sound is coming around me.

My biggest love for the soundbar is the fact that the subwoofer is built in to it. It's small but packs a ton of bass, can rattle my room a bit if I want it to. Overall, VERY pleased with it. Watched many movies on it and don't miss a true surround sound system at all.

Mixer Stream

XBox - ExtremeGamer
PSN - ExtremeGamer
Switch - 4640-8613-7710

Old 08-21-2012, 03:06 PM   #11
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeGamer
After having a big 5.1 sound system for years, I downgraded to a soundbar a few months ago. With kids and everything else, it just became more difficult to crank it up, plus hated wires everywhere.

I went with the Yamaha YAS 101.

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YAS-101...=operasport-20

I love it, does simulated 7.1, while it's obvious there's not rear speakers nor dos it sound like it does, it definitely gives a very full sound in my room. And there's times it sounds like the sound is coming around me.

My biggest love for the soundbar is the fact that the subwoofer is built in to it. It's small but packs a ton of bass, can rattle my room a bit if I want it to. Overall, VERY pleased with it. Watched many movies on it and don't miss a true surround sound system at all.
I may have to look into a sound bar after reading both you and Aaron giving them decent reviews....

Moving into a house, and don't want to have to deal with surround sound wires...

Do you plug all your electronics into the soundbar, or do you still have a receiver that goes into it? Trying to figure out how I'd get xbox, ps3, cable box running through everything....

I suppose I could just have everything go through my tv and use the TV's optical out...I'm not 100% sure that it passes through the highest quality or not though, i'd have to look.

Last edited by mgoblue; 08-21-2012 at 03:13 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2012, 03:38 PM   #12
Extra Life 11/3/18

ExtremeGamer's Arena

OVR: 70
I use my tv's optical out. Seems to work the best. The soundbar displays Dolby Digital for all 3 (Tv when applicable, 360, and Blu-Ray).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mixer Stream

XBox - ExtremeGamer
PSN - ExtremeGamer
Switch - 4640-8613-7710

Old 08-21-2012, 03:50 PM   #13
Go Wings!

Quote:
I use my tv's optical out. Seems to work the best. The soundbar displays Dolby Digital for all 3 (Tv when applicable, 360, and Blu-Ray).

Perfect. This would just cut out on the number of wires I have. I'm glad someone asked about this! While I like my 5.1 setup it's just a pain to get all the wires everywhere.

Sounds like a decent soundbar will be fine with me, since I'm not a crazy audiophile, just someone who wants better than tv speakers sound.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:45 PM   #14
War Eagle, Go Braves!

aukevin's Arena

OVR: 69

I have this Vizio set:
http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-VHT510-5...=operasport-20

Works good. It has a wireless sub and two rear satellites that plug into it.

I have this optical audio switcher. This thing is great, plus it has a remote which is key:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=operasport-20

Atlanta Braves
- Auburn Tigers - Carolina Panthers - Nashville Predators
Old 08-27-2012, 12:41 PM   #15
Go Wings!

Quote:

Does the Yamaha sound good in a decent sized room? We're moving into a house and I have a decent sized living room (especially compared to the condo we're in now).

I have the go ahead to buy a soundbar (I have 250ish in Best Buy gift cards). The heavy desire is "No wires across room", so I'm very intrigued by the Yamaha still. Most others have the wireless subwoofer, which could prove to be a slight pain.

I'm not a nut about sound, but want to make sure that it can do ok in a slightly bigger room (most reviews say it's awesome for an apartment or whatnot)...

Just don't want to end up disappointed in the sound. I figure your situation's similar to mine, you're happy with the sound in a normal-ish living room of a house?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2012, 01:02 PM   #16
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

Wireless subs are fine, although I do believe they have their own power souce (plug).. It was such a breeze to hook up man, I recommend it

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »