Home

What's the logic behind the combo multiplier?

This is a discussion on What's the logic behind the combo multiplier? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 05-13-2016, 01:33 PM   #17
Banned

drinklime's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: What's the logic behind the combo multiplier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Let me ask you guys a question:

Before I do let me make one thing clear before people get the wrong idea:

I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH THE COMBO MULTIPLIER BEING REMOVED AND WOULD LIKE TO SEE ONE PUNCH POWER INCREASED. I ALSO WOULD LIKE TO SEE VULNERABILITY WINDOWS ADDED.

Now that I got that out of the way.

How aware do you think the average player is about the combo multiplier?

Before I started frequenting the EA Forums, I really didnt know anything about it at all. I knew that KO's happened from combos more often but I wasnt aware that it was an actual mechanism in the game.

I ask that because I see posts all the time where people say "everybody wants the combo modifier removed" when in fact its just 30 guys who come to the forums who hate the mechanism and want it removed.

Maybe thats why EA isnt eager to remove it by patch. While many of the vocal people on the forums are consistent in their hate, many people arent aware of it at all.

Just a thought.
When 99% of the community is not aware how the combat system actually works, EA has a serious problem. It should not be a secret relegated to the forums. It should be in the documentation and features list so people can actually use it. This game has too many secrets since it keeps changing so much after release.
Old 05-13-2016, 01:39 PM   #18
MVP

Boiler569's Arena

unfortunately I have to agree w/ DrinkLime on this one --- the mechanics behind the game are pretty much locked up in a black box; only way to get a peek inside = Forums or sending direct messages to GPD lol

How many people are unaware of momentum on the ground? Damage to legs affecting grapple advantage? Transition fakes? Probably 90%+ of the playerbase unfortunately.

I get what you meant for sure Holbert --- but then again those 30 vocal guys in the forums are generally in the top 5% of fighters online so have the most experience in the game, especially at a high level of fighting, so I believe they (we) should have a disproportionate impact on the conversation
FNR4 Gamestop Vegas Tournament Qualifier
Ranked #1 (EA MMA)

UFC 3 LEC: 2x Diamond; 6x Plat.
@Boiler569 on Twitter & Twitch
Old 05-13-2016, 01:48 PM   #19
Dave

Dave_S's Arena

Quote:

How aware do you think the average player is about the combo multiplier?
Probably not very aware. I was playing some dude the other day that was decent, and he had no idea that the multiplier existed. We were talking on mic and he was confused about why all the body jabs in ranked. Once I told him it clicked and was very obvious to him once he recognized it.

I realize combos should be rewarded, and I don't have a problem with the multiplier. I have no stance on whether individual strikes should be more powerful. I just still don't understand why the multiplier builds up no matter what part of the body they hit. I don't think multiplier built up on body strikes should transfer to the head, ect.

It just makes for goofy playing. Sometimes I will play against different opponents and will get many opponents in a row that really seem to be playing all about the multiplier.

It is what it is, but the only time I would like to see multiplier transfer to different part of body is if a health event is caused or something. Like if someone lands body or leg strikes the multiplier would only transfer to head strikes if the previous strikes caused health event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie_Brasco_FR
smooth and fairly lag free THAT means it was laggy? or not?
Means it wasn't laggy.
Old 05-13-2016, 01:57 PM   #20
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinklime
When 99% of the community is not aware how the combat system actually works, EA has a serious problem. It should not be a secret relegated to the forums. It should be in the documentation and features list so people can actually use it. This game has too many secrets since it keeps changing so much after release.
I dont think 99% of the people are aware how the combat system works for most combat sports games. Most people just play. I couldnt tell you the striking mechanism for the Undisputed games and I played everyone of them for 5 straight years.

Its not like there is this big crowd of people begging to know how EA's system works. I think most dont care. Most people who play this game arent competitive players. They dont care or know about the momentum advantages in the grappling system or the combo modifier. They just play to have fun.

The info is out there if you want to find out about it. They can come to the forums just like I did. I think most people who own the game dont care enough to find out.
Old 05-13-2016, 01:59 PM   #21
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S
Probably not very aware. I was playing some dude the other day that was decent, and he had no idea that the multiplier existed. We were talking on mic and he was confused about why all the body jabs in ranked. Once I told him it clicked and was very obvious to him once he recognized it.

I realize combos should be rewarded, and I don't have a problem with the multiplier. I have no stance on whether individual strikes should be more powerful. I just still don't understand why the multiplier builds up no matter what part of the body they hit. I don't think multiplier built up on body strikes should transfer to the head, ect.

It just makes for goofy playing. Sometimes I will play against different opponents and will get many opponents in a row that really seem to be playing all about the multiplier.

It is what it is, but the only time I would like to see multiplier transfer to different part of body is if a health event is caused or something. Like if someone lands body or leg strikes the multiplier would only transfer to head strikes if the previous strikes caused health event.

Means it wasn't laggy.
Tbh I dont think anyone would complain about there being a combo multiplier in the game if one punch power is increased. Just have both in the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-13-2016, 02:06 PM   #22
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiler569
unfortunately I have to agree w/ DrinkLime on this one --- the mechanics behind the game are pretty much locked up in a black box; only way to get a peek inside = Forums or sending direct messages to GPD lol

How many people are unaware of momentum on the ground? Damage to legs affecting grapple advantage? Transition fakes? Probably 90%+ of the playerbase unfortunately.

I get what you meant for sure Holbert --- but then again those 30 vocal guys in the forums are generally in the top 5% of fighters online so have the most experience in the game, especially at a high level of fighting, so I believe they (we) should have a disproportionate impact on the conversation
You actually bring up another point that I've said previously. At times, I believe competitive players (the top 5%) have a disproportionate impact on the conversation. I dont always agree with that.

I'm NOT in the top 5%. I'm not even close. I'm an average player who likes to play offline. I'll give you an example:

I loved the leg kick damage in the beta. I felt like there was a clear difference between a guy like Thiago Alves and say Mike Pierce when it came to leg kicks. Alot of people on OS (mostly offline players) agreed with me. It was a bit over the top with leg rocks sometimes but we were ok with it.

Competitive online players hated leg kicks in the beta. They had legitimate points that people were spamming leg kicks to get rocks. The devs listened to those players and nerfed the kicks. Now leg kicks rarely cause significant damage and a weapon for guys like Alves, Barbosa and Aldo is taken away.

That is an example of the 5% taking away a function of the game that most offline players (the majority of owners of the game) liked because it affected balance.

I dont think that the game should be geared toward a small minority of the people who own the game just because that minority is more vocal.
Old 05-13-2016, 02:14 PM   #23
MVP

Thetruth9012's Arena

Quote:
You actually bring up another point that I've said previously. At times, I believe competitive players (the top 5%) have a disproportionate impact on the conversation. I dont always agree with that.

I'm NOT in the top 5%. I'm not even close. I'm an average player who likes to play offline. I'll give you an example:

I loved the leg kick damage in the beta. I felt like there was a clear difference between a guy like Thiago Alves and say Mike Pierce when it came to leg kicks. Alot of people on OS (mostly offline players) agreed with me. It was a bit over the top with leg rocks sometimes but we were ok with it.

Competitive online players hated leg kicks in the beta. They had legitimate points that people were spamming leg kicks to get rocks. The devs listened to those players and nerfed the kicks. Now leg kicks rarely cause significant damage and a weapon for guys like Alves, Barbosa and Aldo is taken away.

That is an example of the 5% taking away a function of the game that most offline players (the majority of owners of the game) liked because it affected balance.

I dont think that the game should be geared toward a small minority of the people who own the game just because that minority is more vocal.
In online barboza leg kick or rockhold is still dangerous so for online they needed to nerf leg kick.

Without sliders offline will never be good.

Wysłane z mojego LG-H525n przy użyciu Tapatalka

Bigs can cover to much ground on defense(they are too fast)

Late contest on laups matter too much.

Random blocks doing pumpfakes.

Leaning shots for guys who have catch and shoot badge should be removed.
Old 05-13-2016, 02:17 PM   #24
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chmielu9123
In online barboza leg kick or rockhold is still dangerous so for online they needed to nerf leg kick.

Without sliders offline will never be good.

Wysłane z mojego LG-H525n przy użyciu Tapatalka
How are they dangerous? Are you seeing multiple health events if you use leg kicks? Leg Kick TKOs? I'm not.

Thats not true. Sliders are #1 on my list but I enjoyed offline in both EA MMA and Undisputed 3. Neither of those had sliders.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »