Home

Gamechanger event #1 (very early impressions)

This is a discussion on Gamechanger event #1 (very early impressions) within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience
Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 12:23 PM   #41
Pro

JezFranco's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Gamechanger event #1 (very early impressions)

I've been propping for a defensive skill stick for a few years now, wouldn't mind seeing something new on the way the stick is used defensively.

Cause really, the biggest thing that ever happened to the NHL game, was the introduction of the Skill stick, was it NHL 06?
That is the greatest feature that NHL has, and it was introduced about 10 years ago. And while there has been some tweaks on how the offensive dekes and shots work, nothing has happened on the defensive side (except the "Chop puck" - Great!).
Press R1/Rb for an automatic poke check, that's it really.

I would love some way to modify the stance/way the defensive player work;
For example press R1/RB. The poke check is only triggered if you release R1/RB quickly.
However, if you're holding R1/RB it's a modifier for a defensive "free stick", where you could now move the stick freely with RS as a way to cover 2-on-1's or go trying to steal the puck in situations which could cause turnovers... Even one handed stick handling (on the fore side).
Think about the way Datzuyk does some of his magic... The crazy goals he scores, anyone can do it in NHL, but the way he steals pucks and works defensively with his stick is simply not there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCUhVMLAkbU

There are of course lots of other things that need 1) Fixing and 2) Improvement, but the "Defensive Skill Stick" is high on my list.

Thank you EA - This game is officially better than sex
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-15-2015, 12:44 PM   #42
Rookie

OVR: 0
Icon14 Re: Gamechanger event #1 (very early impressions)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyermania
The main thing this series needs attention on is gameplay...there has been way too much time spent on game modes, presentation, HUT, EASHL, etc over the past few years while the core gameplay has remained broken. This affects everything else in the game and should have the time and effort put in to fix.

A lot of these have been mentioned, but a good starting point would be:

- Player separation: Make a noticeable difference between a 1st and 4th liner.
- Improved player ratings: Right now all of the players are lumped together, which makes player separation almost indistinguishable. Make the player ratings matter.
- Improved defensive AI and controls: defense is an afterthought in this game. Instead of making poke checks and stick lifts an exploit, how about you make the players smarter. Why do 2 CPU players always try to play the puck at the blue line? Why doesn't my defensemen hold the blue line on the PP? I could go on and on.
- Power play: There aren't enough, and this has been broken for years. Special teams are such a huge part of hockey, it blows my mind that this area has been broken for so long.
- Team/coaching AI: Each team should play noticeably different than the other.
- Sliders: Make them actually work.
- Board play: Dumping the puck and possession hockey is how hockey is really played. This game encourages you not to do that...instead it lets you enter the zone unchallenged so you can shoot shoot shoot!!

These are just off the top of my head...make the game play like real hockey out of the box, and let the sliders do their job for those who enjoy an arcade experience. 2k hockey challenged this series because it offered more of a sim hockey experience. Competition shouldn't be the only motivation to make a better game.

A lot of these requests from diehard hockey fans have been around for several years. Listen to your fans and fix the gameplay.

Agree100%!!!

Wish there will be only NHL/AHL mode, fix the core gameplay! Back to Basics please.
It's possible to add an Arcade Mode and a Hardcore SiM Mode!
Let us Hardcore Sim Guys edit the gameplay to our sim feel.
Ah and pleaaaaase fix the broken SLider SAVES!
Last Line Change for the Home Team is a Must!
Old 12-15-2015, 06:14 PM   #43
Rookie

Gameplay

1. Player Separation - This has single handedly ruined this game for me. In any mode this is very important in a sports game, but I mostly play GM mode and it renders it useless when all the teams play the same and makes it pointless to even build a better team.

2. Defense vs. Goalie - Another thing that ruins this game for me is that the defense is horrible yet the goalies are making incredible saves throughout the game. It makes it very unrealistic when I get so many quality shots(wristers in the slot) but they never go in. Instead I find myself just looking for a one-timer all the time because its the only high % shot against the goalie.

3. Make fatigue mean something - It feels like I only change lines to entertain myself. It should have a much bigger impact on the game if you cant get your guys off the ice.

4. Speed difference - I find it very unrealistic if I'm Tyler Seguin with a straight line to the goal and a big defender catches me. This happens way too often. Maybe it's the rating that's the problem as I remember a few years ago Tim Gleason had the highest speed on the Hurricanes, when in real life most 10 year olds can skate better than him.

5. One-touch Passing - This is a huge one for me. Hockey is a very fast sport, but in this game you cannot make quick plays at all, because you have to wait about a full second for the player that receives the puck before he can pass it again. My dream would be to have a passing system similar to FIFA/PES where you can press the pass button before it even gets to you.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:49 AM   #44
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JezFranco
I've been propping for a defensive skill stick for a few years now, wouldn't mind seeing something new on the way the stick is used defensively.

Cause really, the biggest thing that ever happened to the NHL game, was the introduction of the Skill stick, was it NHL 06?
That is the greatest feature that NHL has, and it was introduced about 10 years ago. And while there has been some tweaks on how the offensive dekes and shots work, nothing has happened on the defensive side (except the "Chop puck" - Great!).
Press R1/Rb for an automatic poke check, that's it really.

I would love some way to modify the stance/way the defensive player work;
For example press R1/RB. The poke check is only triggered if you release R1/RB quickly.
However, if you're holding R1/RB it's a modifier for a defensive "free stick", where you could now move the stick freely with RS as a way to cover 2-on-1's or go trying to steal the puck in situations which could cause turnovers... Even one handed stick handling (on the fore side).
Think about the way Datzuyk does some of his magic... The crazy goals he scores, anyone can do it in NHL, but the way he steals pucks and works defensively with his stick is simply not there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCUhVMLAkbU

There are of course lots of other things that need 1) Fixing and 2) Improvement, but the "Defensive Skill Stick" is high on my list.
This will never, ever happen.
Why? Because if the user is given more defensive tools, the CPU will never be able to score.
The AI is simply not smart enough. And I don't see the development team putting in the kind of time needed to give us truly dynamic AI.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:17 AM   #45
Pro

OVR: 4
Re: Gamechangers Nhl17 event #1 (very early impressions by djneo)

Pressure sensitive passing. I turn off manual passing because I cannot charge up a full speed pass in remotely the same time as the CPU.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-17-2015, 12:36 AM   #46
MVP

bwiggy33's Arena

OVR: 6

1. Neutral zone pressure (whether that is achieved with a slider or them just adding it into the game, preferably a slider).

2. Revamped goalies (Get rid of all animations and make goalies movements and animations life like. No more warp saves. NHL 2k8 is an example of what I'd like to see.

3. Collision detection with the boards, sticks, etc.

4. More Sliders (I don't have 2k10 sliders on me at the moment but basically a carbon copy of that. Allow us to really go into the brain of the CPU instead of just having a CPU Learning and CPU Difficulty slider like EA has now)

5. Player and team separation (More rating categories for players and ability for roster share. More tactics for team strategy. Also allow saving of tactics and use for tactics in Be A GM.)

Presentation

1. Starting lineup and National Anthem (Longer opening scene in general)

2. Show cutscenes of fans during breaks in play

3. Intermission highlights and breakdown with Doc, Eddy, and Ray (You can see the lights dimmed and the Zamboni in the background when highlights aren't playing)

4. 3 stars

5. More highlights and focus on players during breaks in play
NFL-Minnesota Vikings
NCAAF-Michigan Wolverines
NCAAH-St. Cloud State Huskies
Soccer-Chelsea
Old 12-17-2015, 03:53 PM   #47
Rookie

Efbomb's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kariya05
Gameplay

1. Player Separation - This has single handedly ruined this game for me. In any mode this is very important in a sports game, but I mostly play GM mode and it renders it useless when all the teams play the same and makes it pointless to even build a better team.

2. Defense vs. Goalie - Another thing that ruins this game for me is that the defense is horrible yet the goalies are making incredible saves throughout the game. It makes it very unrealistic when I get so many quality shots(wristers in the slot) but they never go in. Instead I find myself just looking for a one-timer all the time because its the only high % shot against the goalie.

3. Make fatigue mean something - It feels like I only change lines to entertain myself. It should have a much bigger impact on the game if you cant get your guys off the ice.

4. Speed difference - I find it very unrealistic if I'm Tyler Seguin with a straight line to the goal and a big defender catches me. This happens way too often. Maybe it's the rating that's the problem as I remember a few years ago Tim Gleason had the highest speed on the Hurricanes, when in real life most 10 year olds can skate better than him.

5. One-touch Passing - This is a huge one for me. Hockey is a very fast sport, but in this game you cannot make quick plays at all, because you have to wait about a full second for the player that receives the puck before he can pass it again. My dream would be to have a passing system similar to FIFA/PES where you can press the pass button before it even gets to you.
#4!!!!!

The problem is that the CPU does not slowdown no matter how tired they are or what the situation is, and that YOU slowdown when you have possession of the puck.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:18 PM   #48
Banned

Good material, thanks guys....

Will do my best.

Last edited by DJ NEO; 12-21-2015 at 02:47 PM.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »