Home

Desperately need help with faceoffs

This is a discussion on Desperately need help with faceoffs within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 01-29-2024, 01:50 AM   #1
Pro

servo75's Arena

OVR: 9
Desperately need help with faceoffs

I don't know if it's just me but EA decided to accelerate up the difficulty on faceoffs. It used to be I would set faceoffs on about 20 +- 5 and I could win 40-45%. Even at a "0" setting with an NHL 99 faceoff center vs. an AHL team on semi-pro mode, I can't win one single face-off. It's IMPOSSIBLE! It tells me to left-stick up so I do that and it tells me "too early". So I wait longer and it tells me I don't have a grip or something.

I really don't understand (nor care to) all of this backhand/forehand/tie-up stuff. I just want it to be like it used to - the timing of pulling back right stick, this is way too complicated for a beginner player. Like I said, this used to be an option but EA decided that even 40% success on difficulty 15 was way too easy so now even beginners at beginner settings don't stand a chance.

What the heck is it talking about when I'm not "releasing a grip" or attack my opponent's backhand??? Seriously I don't have one freaking clue what it's talking about.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-31-2024, 03:41 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Desperately need help with faceoffs

Don’t use LS up. Faceoffs are pretty much all on the RS unless you are looking to tie up the other player.

It should simply be hold the RS either left or right, then just as the ref moves to drop the puck, you roll back on RS so it’s RS down. You can aim the puck using the LS by aiming it at your LD or RD (you do that when you move the RS down).

Thats the simplest version of faceoffs. The tie up or stick lift isn’t hard either, but the regular pull back is the most useful.
Old 02-01-2024, 01:31 AM   #3
Pro

servo75's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by desouza7
Don’t use LS up. Faceoffs are pretty much all on the RS unless you are looking to tie up the other player.

It should simply be hold the RS either left or right, then just as the ref moves to drop the puck, you roll back on RS so it’s RS down. You can aim the puck using the LS by aiming it at your LD or RD (you do that when you move the RS down).

Thats the simplest version of faceoffs. The tie up or stick lift isn’t hard either, but the regular pull back is the most useful.

Thanks! It must have changed from the simple "pull back RS when you see the ref drop the puck." I wish the game would explain these things but it just gives cryptic clues like "You didn't hold the grip"
Old 02-01-2024, 05:07 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

If you're seeing "Too Early", "Too Late", or "Not Holding Grip" you will lose 100% - that's telling you it's a bad input and it has nothing to do with faceoff difficulty. Losing on "Toss Up" or "Good Timing" means that you did the input right, you just lost because of ratings or the rock/paper/scissors nature of faceoffs in the game.

Beyond that, Desousa's post covers the rest.
Old 02-01-2024, 11:08 PM   #5
Pro

servo75's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
If you're seeing "Too Early", "Too Late", or "Not Holding Grip" you will lose 100% - that's telling you it's a bad input and it has nothing to do with faceoff difficulty. Losing on "Toss Up" or "Good Timing" means that you did the input right, you just lost because of ratings or the rock/paper/scissors nature of faceoffs in the game.

Beyond that, Desousa's post covers the rest.

Hey thanks, and thanks to everyone else too! The "Not Holding Grip" is what I got when attempting tie-ups, which I thought was Left Stick up (that's what it says on the screen anyway).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-01-2024, 11:11 PM   #6
Pro

servo75's Arena

Quote:

Yeah in previous versions, tie-up was what I had the most success with. That's where I get the "not holding grip" message.
Old 02-07-2024, 10:30 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:

I never knew this. It's been so helpful. Thank you!
Old 02-08-2024, 08:45 AM   #8
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16

I always do backhand and I preload it. So as soon as I can see who's taking the faceoff and what handed they are, I preload to the backhand.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »