Home

FIFA 18 Nintendo Switch users

This is a discussion on FIFA 18 Nintendo Switch users within the EA Sports FIFA Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Sliders
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 03-08-2018, 06:49 AM   #41
Rookie

Switched_17's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: FIFA 18 Nintendo Switch users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bixer
Yeah I was finding that too. In some ways it's good as it's more realistic to have more offsides in a game than you usually get in FIFA, but at the same time it's a bit annoying that the offsides aren't due to any particularly clever defending, it's due to your attackers just being stupid and not being aware of what's around them. It wasn't so much that only 1 player was offside, I was often finding 3 players in an offside position at a time which looked a bit off. It's definitely directly related to the Line Height Slider setting, so I figured I'd do a little bit of testing and just lower it 1 point at a time until the offsides subsided a little. Fortunately it looks like it's only taken until 97 for it to reduce from 6 or 7 offsides a game per team to more like 3 or 4, so I'm tempted to leave it there.

Yep, I've experimented with that slider a lot, it's very sensitive between 99 and 100. At 100 there's literally an injury almost every 10 seconds, but then at 99 it seems to behave normally.

I was testing all sorts last night, I just set up a 20 minute per half game in kick-off mode so that I had plenty of time to tweak things here and there and see how they worked. I was initially testing lots of extremes to see the difference in ranges of each slider and just to better understand exactly what was increasing/decreasing with each one.

Firstly I actually tried lowering Pass Error back down to default to see if it made crosses more dangerous and both fortunately and unfortunately it does. Fortunately as with it at 50 I now actually feel more inclined to make crosses as I feel they'll actually reach their intended area, whereas unfortunately as of course this means slightly too perfect passing elsewhere. There might be a happy medium in between 50 and 57, or alternatively maybe increasing First Touch Control Error as a result is the happy medium, but I'll keep trying to see which works best.

I'm still playing around with Run Frequency and I'm tempted to increase it even moreso from 57. One thing I find I really don't like is after a corner of yours, if the CPU win the ball then the rest of the team will saunter up field and there's not really any danger of a counter attack. I want those CPU players absolutely busting a gut to take advantage of the extra space they've got. As it stands the two fullbacks you leave up the field are more than enough to completely stop the attack almost instantly. Maybe I'm being too picky and we'll just have to accept this is one of those things that FIFA can't get right, but for now I've got it at 59 and I'll see if that makes much difference over a few games. Run Frequency's a funny one as in some ways the game is perfectly playable with it at 99, but then again it's also perfectly playable with it at 1, so I'm still not even fully sure how it actually works.

Marking's also another headache for me. At the very least, I think lowering it a tiny bit to just 49 is acceptable as I agree with Switch_17, much lower and the CPU are just too easy to exploit, but then at 50 I find players are a bit too keen to press in numbers. I'm wondering if 50 is some kind of threshold, as admittedly I've only tried it in one game so far, but lowering it just to 49 seems to stop your defensive line running out of position quite as much.

I'm curious if we can do even better though. As I mentioned, this was one of the extremes I tried and in some ways I liked how the players reacted with it at 99. Defending seemed a lot more aggressive and there was a real sense that players wanted to win the ball back. In some ways it even improved positioning as as each player was marking someone so tightly, there wasn't any scope for anyone to be left caught out where they shouldn't be. Of course the flipside here is that if you look at the player HUD in the middle of the screen then it just looks ridiculous, but I'm curious if there's almost something of a second threshold when it comes to marking whereby once you get over a certain number again, players track their runner properly and once they've let someone go they don't just hang around wherever they were. This one definitely needs more testing, but I'll see what I can find! As I mentioned, worst case scenario I think 49 might just be acceptable for now.
I tried 48 last night in 2 matches and for me, it seemed to be the happy medium.

Kind of wondering what would take care of the issue of not being able to slide takle, not sure if I'm if I'm just not use to it due to previously playing on XB1 and the mechanics just work differently but it seems I miss every time.

Then add in the fact that even if I'm right, it's like the opponent fakes me out when I am defending, even though I flick my player to go the same direction, I miss the striker and he goes past me more than I think it should happen.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-08-2018, 07:20 AM   #42
Rookie

eagletal88's Arena

OVR: 1

Anyone else annoyed that we can't use Custom Team Tactics in this game? I think if we could adjust each teams aggressiveness we wouldn't have to really mess with the Man Marking slider.

I already let EA know about the glitch, and was hoping they would fix it in a patch. But no luck yet... Like I said earlier, it's been like this since Fifa 15 on last gen Fifa's.

I think if other people let EA know about this problem hopefully it will be fixed for Fifa 19.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:46 AM   #43
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switched_17
I tried 48 last night in 2 matches and for me, it seemed to be the happy medium.

Kind of wondering what would take care of the issue of not being able to slide takle, not sure if I'm if I'm just not use to it due to previously playing on XB1 and the mechanics just work differently but it seems I miss every time.

Then add in the fact that even if I'm right, it's like the opponent fakes me out when I am defending, even though I flick my player to go the same direction, I miss the striker and he goes past me more than I think it should happen.
Yeah, having experienced this for many, many years now I'm pretty much convinced that the AI in FIFA cheat in this regard and have some kind of instantaneous ability to react the second you press the slide tackle button. They stop and feint round you far too often. It's unfortunate but I don't think it's something that we'll ever be able to fix, you've just gotta be careful and pretty much only slide tackle when there's pretty much a 100% chance of winning the ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagletal88
Anyone else annoyed that we can't use Custom Team Tactics in this game? I think if we could adjust each teams aggressiveness we wouldn't have to really mess with the Man Marking slider.

I already let EA know about the glitch, and was hoping they would fix it in a patch. But no luck yet... Like I said earlier, it's been like this since Fifa 15 on last gen Fifa's.

I think if other people let EA know about this problem hopefully it will be fixed for Fifa 19.
You can use Custom Tactics can't you? In formations if you press Y (I think) to edit the formation, you can change tactics somewhere there. I do use these, but unfortunately they still don't seem to quite give you full control over how your team behaves. I'm convinced some also don't even really make a difference - Team Width being one of them.

Unless you're thinking of something else?
Old 03-08-2018, 09:45 AM   #44
Rookie

eagletal88's Arena

The Custom Team Tactics glitch is whenever you create and save a Customized Tactic setting, (example) you edit the Arsenal Tactics and save it as one of the 28 slots called Arsenal Custom. Then you decide to edit Chelsea as well and save it in another slot called Chelsea Custom. Now head back to Arsenal and you will notice that Arsenal custom tactic you saved has been overwritten by the Chelsea custom tactic. So essentially you can only edit one team, or just leave every team default.

You can do in game editing for your team, but if your goal is to edit many teams to "correct" their play style, you are out of luck. This could be why you didn't notice much of a difference as well when messing with team tactics.

This has been around since Fifa 15 and still haven't been fixed for 3+ years now.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:34 AM   #45
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagletal88
The Custom Team Tactics glitch is whenever you create and save a Customized Tactic setting, (example) you edit the Arsenal Tactics and save it as one of the 28 slots called Arsenal Custom. Then you decide to edit Chelsea as well and save it in another slot called Chelsea Custom. Now head back to Arsenal and you will notice that Arsenal custom tactic you saved has been overwritten by the Chelsea custom tactic. So essentially you can only edit one team, or just leave every team default.

You can do in game editing for your team, but if your goal is to edit many teams to "correct" their play style, you are out of luck. This could be why you didn't notice much of a difference as well when messing with team tactics.

This has been around since Fifa 15 and still haven't been fixed for 3+ years now.
Oh wow, I did not know that! Doesn't even remotely surprise me to hear that EA have neglected another thing like that for that long though unfortunately.

I've only ever edited my Custom Tactics for Brentford within my Career Mode save - not in the general 'Edit Teams' area etc. Is this still applicable there? Have I essentially inadvertently edited every single team in the game to be like my Brentford Career Mode one?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-08-2018, 06:58 PM   #46
Rookie

eagletal88's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bixer
Oh wow, I did not know that! Doesn't even remotely surprise me to hear that EA have neglected another thing like that for that long though unfortunately.

I've only ever edited my Custom Tactics for Brentford within my Career Mode save - not in the general 'Edit Teams' area etc. Is this still applicable there? Have I essentially inadvertently edited every single team in the game to be like my Brentford Career Mode one?
I'm pretty sure it would only effect other teams if you made the custom tactic from the main menu, and before you started your career.

Here is the link to the thread I started in the EA forums to let EA know of this issue. I am sure if more people voiced this issue as well, maybe EA would take notice. http://fifaforums.easports.com/en/di...custom-tactics
Old 03-08-2018, 10:03 PM   #47
Rookie

Switched_17's Arena

Just a thought, what about making a list of things that we think we can fix, then start (as a group) playing matches and working on or two sliders or small groups of sliders. Sort of a community set like for the PS and XBox set.

I am really happy where it's at and it's playable but I know I am and I'm assuming the rest of you love soccer/football, so let's perfect the set as well as see if we can minimize the issues within FIFA.

Let's take the format of the base set and modify it like in the first post of the community sliders, you make a change - explain it.

I just think if we keep going like we are, we'll end up with an amazing FIFA experience and if it comes back to Switch, we'll have a good jump on it.

Who else is in helping Bixer and creating FIFA Gold?
Old 03-08-2018, 11:02 PM   #48
Rookie

Switched_17's Arena

Additionally, I think a big thing is trying to deal with the cpu "superhuman" aspect and lower there shear luck. I'm all for getting blasted if I mess up but when the odds are stacked, it's a bit annoying!

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Sliders »