Home

MLS SuperDraft

This is a discussion on MLS SuperDraft within the EA Sports FC and FIFA forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-21-2024, 04:52 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
MLS SuperDraft

Any big fans of the MLS able to answer a few questions for me, mainly about the SuperDraft?

1. How much information is available about prospects pre-draft? Is it like the NFL where prospects are discussed months in advance and everyone knows roughly where guys will end up being selected beforehand?

2. Correct me if I’m wrong, but teams each get 3 selections in the draft. And teams can trade their draft selections? If so, is there a place to see what picks each team has?

3. How much impact do drafted players have for their teams? Again, is it like the NFL where guys can be expected to come in and play right away? Is it more of a lottery even in the first round?

4. Not SuperDraft related but I’m aware of the Designated Player rule but unsure of some of the nuances. For example, can a player become undesignated? If a team has three designated players, do they have to sell one if they’d like to bring in another? Or can they say ‘ok this guy isn’t designated any more’ to free up a spot?

Thanks in advance!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2024, 01:00 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: MLS SuperDraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackrel829
Any big fans of the MLS able to answer a few questions for me, mainly about the SuperDraft?

1. How much information is available about prospects pre-draft? Is it like the NFL where prospects are discussed months in advance and everyone knows roughly where guys will end up being selected beforehand?

2. Correct me if I’m wrong, but teams each get 3 selections in the draft. And teams can trade their draft selections? If so, is there a place to see what picks each team has?

3. How much impact do drafted players have for their teams? Again, is it like the NFL where guys can be expected to come in and play right away? Is it more of a lottery even in the first round?

4. Not SuperDraft related but I’m aware of the Designated Player rule but unsure of some of the nuances. For example, can a player become undesignated? If a team has three designated players, do they have to sell one if they’d like to bring in another? Or can they say ‘ok this guy isn’t designated any more’ to free up a spot?

Thanks in advance!
Good question that I'm hoping someone can answer. I MLS with the draft implemented would be good.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 04-24-2024, 10:10 AM   #3
All Star

JayD's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifatas
Good question that I'm hoping someone can answer. I MLS with the draft implemented would be good.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Operation Sports mobile app
Mate, they don't even have the MLS playoff format correct. This will be years, if ever, before they implement things like this for MLS. Low on their totem pole.
Old 04-25-2024, 11:24 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackrel829

Thanks in advance!
You know, they dont have this.

What I would do if I wanted that is grab Football Manager, get all the proper logos and have it like that. Football Manager has all of that for you...

Then just create the players in EA FC 24 and start a season once the Draft is over.
Old 04-25-2024, 08:22 PM   #5
bc1
Rookie

Generally, the SuperDraft does not play a significant role in MLS anymore, especially in comparison with, say, 10-15 years ago. Back then, it was common for 1st and some 2nd rounders to come in and win starting jobs and get significant minutes. It’s been diminishing in significance gradually, but consistently, since then.

Most of the players drafted now do not play initially in the league, or at least get much playing time. There have been a handful of drafted players that in recent years have had big impacts, even some going on to play in Europe. But it’s largely a crapshoot about who will succeed.

Coverage of college soccer is minimal, so it’s hard to get much insight into players who might be drafted until very close to the draft. The MLS site usually has some coverage around that time, but it’s not super in-depth. TopDrawerSoccer has probably the best coverage of college soccer, but most of it is paywalled: https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/

This is a good article surveying current dynamics:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/superdraft...to-today-s-mls

Also, MLS roster rules, in all their complexity, can be found here:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/about/rost...nd-regulations
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA »