Home

Why is NCAA 06 considered the best PS2 Version?

This is a discussion on Why is NCAA 06 considered the best PS2 Version? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 06-30-2020, 10:25 AM   #73
Pro

volwalker's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Why is NCAA 06 considered the best PS2 Version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedGreen710
I will give it another try thankyou

Sent from my SM-J336AZ using Tapatalk
Take this for what it's worth but 06 is the only game where I've barely had to touch the sliders. I played on default heisman for many years before I had to make things a little more challenging. Changing sliders especially for the later games is like trying to find buried treasure in hopes of getting them right but that's just me.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:26 AM   #74
Eagles Fan

BleedGreen710's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by volwalker
Take this for what it's worth but 06 is the only game where I've barely had to touch the sliders. I played on default heisman for many years before I had to make things a little more challenging. Changing sliders especially for the later games is like trying to find buried treasure in hopes of getting them right but that's just me.
Seeing how yours dont deviate much from the default makes me think I may have changed too much

Sent from my SM-J336AZ using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2020, 10:49 AM   #75
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
I find this topic interesting as I think the passing game from 07 onwards is way easier than in 06, deep balls are even easier, some routes like the Curl are guaranteed catches, zero knockdowns, I can go on and on. Lack of catch animations in 06 doesn't mean much to me but that's just me.
I've seen both sides. I've seen great DB play, especially when the DB is an impact player...they lock it down. I've also seen where when it appears sometimes that the DB on the deep ball is helpless. It could a a variety of things like the DB simply isn't better than the WR, lack of animation compared to what we have now(this was back in 06 lol), QB ratings, sliders etc who knows. But, even with that IMO 06 is a great game. I personally haven't played much User vs CPU. I would rather watch the AI duke it out and just handle things from a coaching standpoint or at the most just control one player.

All of the games we love have had quirks, it's just finding that game or games that we can tolerate the quirks the most.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2020, 11:22 AM   #76
Rookie

OVR: 2

I never felt like the passing game was too easy in 06 but do agree the deep ball can be cheesed. I have my own house rules about vertical passing where I rarely use it outside of the tougher throws like wheel routes and corners which I find difficult to complete as they should be. The curl route is defended multiple ways compared to what I remember in '10 where you could half roll out the QB to the WR running a curl and the DB would still play behind them making for an easy completion. I find completing balls over the middle to be difficult in 06 but maybe that's just me. Coverage windows on a dig route have to be just right and even a CB defender on an island can make a play.

I only have a few nitpicks about 06 and they are on defense. I feel like once you start rolling in a bunch of 3-5* guys on defense that your base defense can shut down almost everyone. I try to keep it realistic by blitzing and going to cover zero to leave the middle of the field open. There's also an issue I find where a QB makes a good read checking down to a RB or TE in the flats and the momentum carries them out of bounds. I play a lot of quarters coverage so the flats are open and it irritates me that the CPU should be able to get 3-4 yards to a back but they run out of bounds for a yard or two loss.
Old 06-30-2020, 04:24 PM   #77
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShizNo1
I've been playing '11 more than anything else. The AI recruiting is annoying (the recruit all the QBs and hardly any linemen).

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

There's something not right about either the prospects or the CPUs recruiting AI. Most (like 70%) of decent teams will have 2-3 good-great QBs..... but will have little to no depth on the offensive line. Seeing the opposing 97ovr QB get hurt means nothing because there's typically a 96ovr QB replacing him. Whenever I take over another school, the weakest position tends to be the offensive line.

I played a lot of 07 before making the switch to 11 ,and I don't remember 07 having these issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Old 06-30-2020, 04:31 PM   #78
Rookie

OVR: 0

this guy said 07 fumbles too much in a game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDpoEbUO4g0&t=235s
Old 06-30-2020, 04:57 PM   #79
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33

Man.... I can't remember where I read this, but it's like 07 makes up its mind that certain games are just gonna be full of fumble-fest. I got to a point where if I'm seeing 3 or more fumbles in a quarter, I just quit the game and try again and low and behold, those fumbles aren't an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Old 06-30-2020, 05:01 PM   #80
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
I'm currently in a testing phase with the other games just in case I missed something and find one that's worth investing my time in and so far I haven't found it yet. 07 is plagued by turnover and fumble issues, 08 has the bad pursuit angle issue, I'm currently testing 09 and am hoping for the best, and 10 and 11 have too many big recruiting issues like we discussed. After I find something gamebreaking in 09 and I'm sure I will, I'll fool around with the earlier games but the problem with those is that they are so bare bones in terms of dynsty stuff.

Over time I've realized that games before 06 had a more pure gameplay feel while games after 06 had amazing dynasty features and updated aspects throughout but suffered in gameplay in one way or another. To me, 06 was the equilibrium of the bunch if that makes sense. But everyone has a different feel for each game.

yes. I think so. and in Madden too

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »