Home

What Base Defense You Running?

This is a discussion on What Base Defense You Running? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-07-2023, 09:39 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
What Base Defense You Running?

Been a long time. My son got a little bored with the Louisville dynasty he started on NCAA 13. I am going to continue it though. I have always run the 335 defense, but looking for a change. I have read tons of the posts here about defense and how the game isn't the same as real life. Not having TRUE nose tackles to run a 3-4. And 4-3 is the most basic and easy to user. But the 4-3 doesn't have a lot of creativity. I like to blitz here and there. I try and change up coverages some too. I play on All American by the way. OK. What ya got?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-08-2023, 09:29 PM   #2
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

Re: What Base Defense You Running?

If I'm playing against a team that passes more than runs, I want the 3-4 primarily. If I'm playing against a run heavy team, I lean more on the 4-3.
Old 11-17-2023, 07:21 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

As a head coach, I run the defense my DC uses. Right now I am in a 3-4.

I run the 4-2-5 when I am a DC. It works best with Coverage or Balanced LBs who can rush the passer with Coverage Strong Safeties (the defense uses 2 strong safeties).
Old 11-17-2023, 11:09 AM   #4
MVP

I use coach mode and after a lot of experimenting I use only two defenses in NCAA 14. I look at the personnel the offense is using and if I suspect run I use 4-4. If I suspect pass I use nickel. One key to success is fast linebackers and safeties.
Old 11-20-2023, 03:05 PM   #5
Rookie

i used to be a 4-3 or 3-3-5 guy but now i have found "multiple d" to be the way to go. Can switch between any defense depending on the game and your opponent.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-11-2024, 06:56 PM   #6
Rookie

Person1215's Arena

Late to the party on this one, hope that's okay.

I LIKE a 3-4 defense, but I feel like I can never get it to click. If I'm building up a team without a good defense, the 3-3-5 is my go-to. It lets me put enough speed on the field to go keep the high-powered spread/spread option teams at bay. Once my team gets set up, I always find that 4-3 or 4-2-5 works the best.

So, if you're looking for the BEST defense? Probably either 4-2-5 or 4-3. Most creative AND pretty good? I'd take the 3-3-5. Creative and a bit of a challenge? Give the 3-4 a whirl.
Old 02-20-2024, 11:51 AM   #7
Just started!

3-4 predator as my base defense.

I use this against any 21,11,12 personnel group.

Always align the 1 tech to either the passing strength or the field if the ball is on the hash. I like the user the ILB on away from the 1tech.

My base plays are cover2 and cover6

The cover2 in this defense is unique because is has the OLBs playing the purple buzz zones, taking away the corner routes, and stopping the flood, smash and sail concepts. I like to spread the safety's coverage and defend the hole with the ILB that I user.

I love Cover6 against a 3x1 look. Setting the 1tech to the passing strength puts the cloud corner against the single receiver. I "lock" the cloud corner, making him play man to man again the the single receiver. I still have a cover 2 safety over the top. I user the ILB away from the passing strength and play the hook to curl with an eye on the flats where the locked corner is supposed to defend.

There are great 5 man zone blitzes that can get home also. I do not play a lot of pure man to man because I usually do not have great cover LBs.
Old 02-20-2024, 04:07 PM   #8
MVP

Caveman24's Arena

OVR: 25

3-3-5 for me

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »