Old 02-11-2024, 12:28 PM   #2073
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: PlayStation 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintsa
Word. Got it.

If I can find one of those one year membership cards floating around today. I値l just grab that.

If not, I値l go ps extra ONLY because it happens to be on sale the exact time my sub ran out.
If the price is similar now, then you're better off getting the Extra.

For me, I'm just waiting on a game I really want to play. I actually wanted a dull few months of Game Catalog games so I could wait and pay less. Even if there would be a game I'd really want in February, I would wait until the very last day in March so I could pay less. I still have a lot of PS Extra games from last year that I downloaded and want to play, that I don't have access to because I'm on the Essential tier.
Old 02-11-2024, 02:25 PM   #2074

dubcity's Arena

OVR: 2

To me all these gaming subscription services have the same feeling of declining value over time. In a way that music and movie/TV streaming does not. There's something about the pay-to-rent model that feels like an amazing value at first, but then feels like a hustle if you actually care about how you spend your money.

And we've seen with XBox that the model isn't a perfect thing for the user or the provider selling it. Which is why sub prices will be increasing indefinitely, and the perceived value diminishing at a higher rate. Like right now I can't imagine re-upping when my subscription ends in a few months. Not even at the base level.
Old 02-11-2024, 03:04 PM   #2075
All Star

SmashMan's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubcity
To me all these gaming subscription services have the same feeling of declining value over time. In a way that music and movie/TV streaming does not. There's something about the pay-to-rent model that feels like an amazing value at first, but then feels like a hustle if you actually care about how you spend your money.
Look how many games you can stream from the catalog:

Look how many games you actually want to stream from the catalog:

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-11-2024, 03:54 PM   #2076
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubcity

And we've seen with XBox that the model isn't a perfect thing for the user or the provider selling it. Which is why sub prices will be increasing indefinitely, and the perceived value diminishing at a higher rate. Like right now I can't imagine re-upping when my subscription ends in a few months. Not even at the base level.
I can agree with that. Especially when it feels like many of the games are games you already have or played already. Most of the quality AAA games get on these services either when they aren't popular as they were and past their peak sales window or when the game is a sales flop. I don't need PS Extra AND Gamefly. With as picky as I am when it comes to gaming, I don't see the incentive to pay Extra sub price if I'm only going to play 3-5 of the Extra Catalog games a year. I can essentially just think '"Oh hey, I didn't play that game in a long time and it is now on PS Extra. I can rent it on Gamefly."

But for the type of gamer that I am, a gaming subscription like Gamefly is worth it for me. I don't consider myself a hardcore gamer. Getting a little older, with work schedule and family responsibilities, my gaming time is very limited. And I'm at the point in life where if I'm bored but don't have a game I really want to play at the moment, I'm not going to force myself to play a game. I don't play online and I'm very selective on the type of games I play and I have a short attention span when it comes to how quick I get tired of a game. Once I beat a single player game, I'm done with it. So it comes in handy to rent a game and just return it when I'm done with it. I got NBA 2k24 for essentially free through my wife getting rewards points through an app. While I didn't have to pay for it myself, I'm getting to the point where I'm getting tired of it after a couple months. So, when It comes to buying games, it'll only be a game I feel confident that has a lot of replay ability for me.
Old 02-11-2024, 07:16 PM   #2077
All Star

Mintsa's Arena

OVR: 17

So you don’t get new ps plus extra games every month correct ???

You get the 3 essential games per month and they randomly just add new games to the catalogue for ps plus extra whenever they do.

Is this correct ?
Old 02-11-2024, 07:23 PM   #2078
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintsa
So you don稚 get new ps plus extra games every month correct ???

You get the 3 essential games per month and they randomly just add new games to the catalogue for ps plus extra whenever they do.

Is this correct ?
It is every month for PS Plus Extra Game Catalog games. It usually falls in the middle of the month. Like we should hear tomorrow or Tuesday about this month's Game Catalog games. It's usually a decent amount of games actually each month. A couple of mainstream games and a few indie titles each month.
Old 02-11-2024, 08:56 PM   #2079
All Star

Mintsa's Arena

OVR: 17

Oh ok…….that’s so what encouraging…..lol
Old 02-12-2024, 11:01 AM   #2080
I can't feel it

Jgainsey's Arena

OVR: 22

I did the extra tier for a little over a year and it was worth it for the time, but I was able to pick off the things that I wanted to get to and now the lineup feels pretty meh.

There are usually a couple of games a year that I have to play at or around it痴 release, and then the other handful of games I spend most of my time with are old enough where I知 getting them discounted anyway.

Throw in a few indie games onto the pile and I知 not really spending THAT much more than the base price for one of these subscription services, and of course, I知 getting to keep all the games. Which is huge, because I like to replay almost every game I like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »