Home

Radio personality fired after wearing Florida Gator hat to Arkansas press conference

This is a discussion on Radio personality fired after wearing Florida Gator hat to Arkansas press conference within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 08-17-2010, 12:26 PM   #17
Banned

OVR: 30
Re: Radio personality fired after wearing Florida Gator hat to Arkansas press confere

Quote:
Originally Posted by WazzuRC
Forgive me for not knowing any better, but can't she look into a wrongful termination lawsuit?
I doubt it.

This probably falls under promoting another product while on company time. As stated, it's the equivalent of having Pepsi paraphernalia while on Coke company time.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:44 PM   #18
MVP

Azamien's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Radio personality fired after wearing Florida Gator hat to Arkansas press confere

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatchild
Stupid decision but she should not lose her job over this unless she was a bad employee.
I would say that wearing the hat of a rival while on company time at an Arkansas press conference qualifies her as a bad employee. It was a very unprofessional thing to do.

If it had been a case of her out shopping while wearing Florida gear it would be different. But she was on the clock as a representative of her radio station.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:55 PM   #19
Phenom

seasprite's Arena

OVR: 27

I do agree her judgement here was pretty poor, but as far as grounds for termination, I disagree.
Quote:
Her actions (especially treating it as a joke when Petrino called her out) alienated that station's listeners, which is grounds for termination.
^^This is a bit of a stretch imo

However, she wont have a legal leg to stand on, because I believe that Arkansas is a right to work state

Last edited by seasprite; 08-17-2010 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:16 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 3

How is that a stretch? There have been days of hateful callers and people bombarding the station calling for her head. People have even been putting her personal information online (which is going waaaaay too far). I would say alienating listeners is pretty simple grounds for getting booted out of your radio job. This is failing to even mention that the station's sponsors are very like the biggest athletics boosters, and they may have threatened to pull sponsorship. It's a tough industry.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:23 PM   #21
Go Cougs!

WazzuRC's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashaddict
How is that a stretch? There have been days of hateful callers and people bombarding the station calling for her head.
She didn't alienate any listeners if they are calling and "bombarding" the station. Advertisers don't care why you're listening, as long as you are. Any PR is good PR. If anything, she's probably helped the radio station with all the news this is making.

Obviously it was an incredibly stupid decision, and if she's talking **** about the university through social media, no doubt she should get fired. But if she's a good employee who made one dumb decision, it's a kneejerk reaction to pull the plug on her now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2010, 01:27 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 3

Unfortunately I'm on mobile and cannot edit, but I just saw the right-to-work comment which I hadn't thought about. Yes Arkansas is one of those states, so they don't need a reason to fire her.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:30 PM   #23
Phenom

seasprite's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashaddict
How is that a stretch? There have been days of hateful callers and people bombarding the station calling for her head. People have even been putting her personal information online (which is going waaaaay too far). I would say alienating listeners is pretty simple grounds for getting booted out of your radio job. This is failing to even mention that the station's sponsors are very like the biggest athletics boosters, and they may have threatened to pull sponsorship. It's a tough industry.
So would you say that if a radio personality from that particular show predicted Arkansas would only win three games this season, should he be fired? I would say that if that was his prediction, many hog fans would be livid and very hateful, wouldnt you agree?
Old 08-17-2010, 01:34 PM   #24
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

For a very different reason seasprite. Angering fans about the content of your show is different from angering them based on your loyalty to the product.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »