Home

2019 Bracketology Discussion

This is a discussion on 2019 Bracketology Discussion within the College Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > College Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-18-2019, 12:05 PM   #25
CC
MVP

CC's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: 2019 Bracketology Discussion

Its preposterous to think MSU didnt get screwed by the bracketing process this year. Just like each of the last two years. The committee chairs explanation is even more preposterous. Not only getting matched in Dukes region, the head and shoulders overall 1. But having to play in Des Moines/DC rather than Columbus/KC. Also having to play an early game on Thursday after being in the last possible game played on Sunday, guaranteeing minimal rest. Also having a guaranteed 2nd round rematch with a team they already played, potentially a conference opponent. Followed by a 50/50 chance of another conference rematch in the sweet sixteen against a team playing in their own backyard.

Nevertheless, it doesnt really matter. No excuses, I say they are in Minneapolis in three weeks. You all are welcome in advance for knocking out Duke.

Last edited by CC; 03-18-2019 at 12:15 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-18-2019, 01:01 PM   #26
All Star

OVR: 13

The committee chair (who I realize is just the spokesman) never answered any questions asked of him. Not that he's obligated to, but it leaves people wondering if the committee knows that the ball is round or not. The thing that bugs me is that MSU by any standard should have been a #1 seed: they're the only team in the country that won both the regular season conference championship and the conference tournament, they had the most quad-1 wins, all in either the best or second-best conference in the country. I mean, the committee basically said winning your conference/tourney doesn't matter at all. How UNC and Gonzaga got #1-seeds over MSU is a mystery to me.

Forgetting that they put MSU in Duke's bracket (frankly, MSU should have been in Gonzaga's bracket with MSU as the 1 and Gonzaga as the 2), the logic that DC is marginally closer to East Lansing than Louisville is just idiotic. MSU would have been better off never lacing up their sneakers for the B1G title game yesterday, since it made no difference to their NCAA tourney fate and they got a key rotation guy seriously injured/out for the year. They beat UM 3 times and UM ended up with the better draw.

I guess all of this only matters if MSU makes it to the Elite 8, but as a matter of principle, this is BS.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:09 PM   #27
#Ace

Speedy's Arena

OVR: 27

UNC should be 1-seed...I dont buy your argument there.

I could see UVA moving down to a 2-seed, I honestly thought they would as they got swept by Duke and lost pretty handily to FSU. I wouldn't have an issue swapping out MSU here.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app
It's hard though...especially when I got my neighbor playing their franchise across the street...maybe I will occupy myself with Glamore Magazine.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:22 PM   #28
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
UNC should be 1-seed...I dont buy your argument there.

I could see UVA moving down to a 2-seed, I honestly thought they would as they got swept by Duke and lost pretty handily to FSU. I wouldn't have an issue swapping out MSU here.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app

Why would Virginia move to a 2 seed when they won the ACC and beat Carolina head to head?

The 1 seed that should’ve been swapped is Gonzaga. They got a one seed simply because they beat Duke in November and are in the West.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 03-18-2019, 03:33 PM   #29
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUChase
Auburn was projected as a 5 seed before the SEC Tournament even began and was projected as a 5 seed in February.

Knocked off Tennessee at home, won 4 straight in the tournament and beat Tennessee again on a "neutral" floor where the crowd was probably 80-20 in favor of UT by 20 points, won the SEC Tournament, and finished the season on an 8 game win streak and still gets a 5 seed.

What's the point in even playing the tournament if a team like Miss State can land a 5 seed too? I mean it's nice to get in, but the draw is significantly worse now than it would be and you send a team that just played 4 straight to Salt Lake City 4-days after they won the Conference Tournament. That's some reward for winning your conference.. lol.

FWIW I'm thankful just to be relevant again and I know you have to beat whoever is in front of you regardless, but I can't make much sense of it really. When you think of it as they are #18 overall it sounds okay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC
Its preposterous to think MSU didnt get screwed by the bracketing process this year. Just like each of the last two years. The committee chairs explanation is even more preposterous. Not only getting matched in Dukes region, the head and shoulders overall 1. But having to play in Des Moines/DC rather than Columbus/KC. Also having to play an early game on Thursday after being in the last possible game played on Sunday, guaranteeing minimal rest. Also having a guaranteed 2nd round rematch with a team they already played, potentially a conference opponent. Followed by a 50/50 chance of another conference rematch in the sweet sixteen against a team playing in their own backyard.

Nevertheless, it doesnt really matter. No excuses, I say they are in Minneapolis in three weeks. You all are welcome in advance for knocking out Duke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
The committee chair (who I realize is just the spokesman) never answered any questions asked of him. Not that he's obligated to, but it leaves people wondering if the committee knows that the ball is round or not. The thing that bugs me is that MSU by any standard should have been a #1 seed: they're the only team in the country that won both the regular season conference championship and the conference tournament, they had the most quad-1 wins, all in either the best or second-best conference in the country. I mean, the committee basically said winning your conference/tourney doesn't matter at all. How UNC and Gonzaga got #1-seeds over MSU is a mystery to me.

Forgetting that they put MSU in Duke's bracket (frankly, MSU should have been in Gonzaga's bracket with MSU as the 1 and Gonzaga as the 2), the logic that DC is marginally closer to East Lansing than Louisville is just idiotic. MSU would have been better off never lacing up their sneakers for the B1G title game yesterday, since it made no difference to their NCAA tourney fate and they got a key rotation guy seriously injured/out for the year. They beat UM 3 times and UM ended up with the better draw.

I guess all of this only matters if MSU makes it to the Elite 8, but as a matter of principle, this is BS.
I honestly think the committee made their brackets before the conference tournaments and then didn't bother to change them.

FSU beat LSU and Purdue. They beat UVA. They end up as a 4 and get sent to play in Hartford against Vermont which will be a home game for them. The NCAA isn't supposed to do that the 1st round and try not to for the 2nd round.

Only good thing is being in the West and getting Gonzaga.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-2019, 12:10 AM   #30
MVP

OVR: 15

Well some things didn’t age well (my bracket included).

Also remember if the bracketing rules didn’t prioritize geography so much, we wouldn’t have gotten the Virginia Purdue game.

2013 and 2015 OS NFL Pick'em Champ...somehow I won 2 in 3 years.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > College Basketball »