Home

Bill Raferty - Great announcer or the greatest?

This is a discussion on Bill Raferty - Great announcer or the greatest? within the College Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > College Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 03-09-2011, 02:50 PM   #33
MIB Crew

rspencer86's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: Bill Raferty - Great announcer or the greatest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenigundam
Nah he's terrrible. Same with Gus Johnson.

The best announcers are Tim Brando and Stephen Bardo (only because he says really funny stuff)
Brando? Really? Please tell me this is a joke.

University of Missouri '09
Twitter: @RyanASpencer

Royals / Chiefs / Kings / Mizzou / Sporting KC

PSN: MizzouTigerrr
XBox: MizzouRhino
Old 03-09-2011, 02:54 PM   #34
Im The Baby/Gotta Love Me

elicoleman's Arena

OVR: 31

Has to be sarcasm.
What I'm Currently Listening To
Old 03-09-2011, 03:26 PM   #35
The buzz is palpable now!

sportznut02's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by elicoleman
Has to be sarcasm.
Yeah I hope so I don`t mind Brando`s radio show but he really struggled during the Michigan/Michigan State game on Saturday.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2011, 12:55 PM   #36
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
The enormous difference between Raferty and guys who use schticks is that Raferty's knowledge of the game is as good or better than everyone else's. Most guys try to get by solely on using stupid catch phrases and don't offer much insight (like Vitale) but Raferty is very knowledgeable and objective. He praises the good but also isn't afraid to knock someone for doing something bad/stupid and he can do that without sounding as depressed as Billy Packer. Plus Raferty was doing his "catchphrases" well before SportsCenter became popular.

Raf is the best announcer in sports, IMO.
Thank you - Raf is the best. Love it when he's teamed with Lundquist.

Vitale? A joke, nothing but an NCAA shill. When he comes on, I hit the MUTE button.

Len Elmore does a good job too.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:07 PM   #37
Earlwolfx on XBL

Cusefan's Arena

OVR: 35

My best memory of Bill Raftery is the 2009 Big East Tourniment Semi-Final between Syracuse and UCONN. The Best announcer in College basketball calling the Best game ever in College Basketball.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:06 PM   #38

sportznut02's Arena

A few more Bilas tweets about Raferty

Bill Raftery to bartender: "Hey, give me another one of these, just to see if I like it. Sprinkle the infield, too."

Bill Raftery, when asked about his big briefcase: "It's my research and material. You'd be really impressed, if McDonough let me talk."

Raftery at show meeting, with Sean McDonough on speakerphone from his hotel room: "Can we do the games like this? I might get in a word."

Bill Raftery to Big East Supervisor of Officials, just after the SJU-Rutgers game: "Hey Artie, what's new?"

Bill Raftery, when asked if he remembered the first game played between today's pairing: "I remember the joints I went to. The game? No."
Old 11-08-2013, 09:01 AM   #39

sportznut02's Arena

Quote:
The first time a stranger regaled Bill Raftery with one of his signature announcing phrases came years ago at Newark Airport when a man walked by Raftery and belted out "man-to-man" at the speed of Usain Bolt. "I was thinking to myself, 'Man, that guy has problems," Raftery said last week. "I didn't know I was saying 'man-to-man' so quickly, and I was saying it that quickly to get out of the way of my play-by-play man. People have gone out of their way to come up to me with some of the things I say, and it makes me feel good."
The Rafteryisms are legendary among college hoops fans, an audio funhouse from "onions!" to "attacking the tin" to "the kiss." (The latter, Raftery said, comes from a way of saying what John Wooden taught best -- the bank shot.) After 32 years as a college basketball analyst for ESPN, Raftery joined Fox Sports 1 last June, a sensational hire for the fledgling network and one that gives them immediate college hoops credibility. Raftery will partner with Gus Johnson on a No.1 announcing team that rivals any sports network, and the pairing debuts this Friday as Providence hosts Boston College (6:00 PM ET) on Fox Sports 1.
"It is as strong a basketball pairing on any level as you can find and that's no disrespect to ESPN, Turner or anyone else," said Fox Sports executive producer John Entz.
Entz said he thought the odds were long to get Raftery but as conversations with Raftery and his representatives continued, the broadcaster continued to let Fox Sports know he wanted to stay with the Big East package. The good news for college basketball fans is Raftery's role for CBS does not change. He'll do his usual set of games on that network as well as work the NCAA tournament for CBS and Turner Sports. Raftery will be the analyst on the Big East Championship on Fox Sports 1 next March 15 and then work for CBS the next day calling the Atlantic 10 title. Raftery said he will call somewhere between 30-40 games this season for Fox Sports 1. He'll call a little less than that for CBS.
"The Big East was a pretty good connection for me philosophically," Raftery said. "I love the people at ESPN but I just thought it would be a naturally conclusion for me to go full circle with the Big East."
Raftery and Johnson worked together at CBS and Johnson is friendly with two of Raftery's children, which has helped their chemistry. "I think chemistry starts with how you get along dinner-wise, how you connect with different things you enjoy in life," Raftery said. "We have a lot of common interests, his connection with the Knicks and mine with the Nets. Professionally he loves the game and to me it's like a layup working with him. He brings excitement and loves what he is doing. I hope I can match that."
While college basketball fans love the Raftery phrases, there is always a line broadcasters have to straddle so a catch phrase does not become trite. "Temperance is a tough word for Irish people," Raftery said, laughing. "I think sometimes I feel I am saying some stuff and overdoing it. It's a sense of the moment. Sometimes it fits, and sometimes you need to get away from it for a half."
Raftery has been an integral part of the two networks -- ESPN and CBS -- that have shaped college basketball in the U.S. Does he see a specific broadcast philosophy for Fox Sports 1 when it comes to college basketball?
"I don't envision us doing anything off-the-charts different, other than subtle things like graphics," Raftery said. "The one word I found here when we had our meetings -- and when you say the word 'fun' people think you are being frivolous -- but I think what they would like for us to show is how much we enjoy what we are doing. And, to me, enjoying what you are doing means being prepared."
Raftery turned 70 in April and said he enjoys broadcasting as much as ever. Like his fellow septuagenarian Verne Lundquist, he's a voice I hope sticks around for some time.
"If I ever stop preparing or lose the fire, I think I would be the one to call it," Raftery said. "But I also think [Fox Sports president] Eric Shanks or [CBS Sports chairman] Sean McManus would probably tell me to take a walk."
media-circus/#ixzz2k3wdVUyM
Old 11-08-2013, 09:04 AM   #40

sportznut02's Arena

Quote:
Everyone knows him as Raf.

Everyone also knows him as the guy calling college basketball games on ESPN.

So something will be different for Bill Raftery this week, when he opens his 33yrd season as a broadcaster on an entirely new network, Fox Sports 1, assigned principally to a new league with an old brand name. Fox teamed him with a new partner, electrifying play-by-play voice Gus Johnson.

Raf’s first game with Fox will take him back to his old Big East roots, with Boston College (of the new ACC) taking on Providence (of the new Big East) at 6 p.m. ET Friday. On New Year’s Eve, he’ll call an intriguing doubleheader to open the Big East season: St. John's at Xavier at noon, Villanova at Butler at 7:30 p.m.

Raftery’s distinctive style has made him a fan favorite throughout his three-plus decades at the mike with ESPN (and with CBS during the NCAAs), from his trademark “man-to-man!” opener to his “onions!” exclamation if a player hits a big shot. But Raftery is a shrewd, insightful analyst whose self-deprecating references to his time as Seton Hall coach can’t hide his expansive knowledge of the game.

Sporting News talked to him by telephone as he prepared for the coming season.

SN: Obviously, Fox Sports 1 has gone all-in on the Big East, so let’s talk about where you think the league is headed. How much of a force can the conference be in this sport without football involved and more or less “advertising” the league from September on?

Raftery: It reminds me so much of when the whole deal started, with the exception of they’ve got a little bundle of cash. David (Gavitt) in his wildest dreams in 1979 … He thought there was a chance to market and impress the country, but it wasn’t much of a package.

It’s imperative, I think, to impress the country again. November and December, their intersectional games, particularly in the first couple years—it’ll impress people if they’re able to compete and win big games.

SN: It’s a different league now, with teams in the Midwest such as Butler, Xavier, Creighton and Marquette. Can the league still command the attention of high school prospects on the Eastern seaboard?

Raftery: The name is part of it. It was big for them in terms of image and recruiting, along with the Garden. Even with DePaul struggling a little bit, Marquette’s still very good. It hasn’t hampered them at all to be out there with the Big East name. Butler is doing nicely with some kids. I think the name itself sort of stands alone. Kids are more interested in style of play, exposure, competition and hopefully that’s what the league will stand for.

SN: How important is it for the Big East to keep Madison Square Garden as the home of the tournament?

Raftery: I think it really helps. It’s just always been a great week, reminiscent of when I was a kid and the ACC Tournament became such an important date on the calendar of basketball nuts.

An important thing for the league, too, is there are a lot of even teams. With them playing twice, getting a shot at a third time and that being in the Garden—I think that will be very inviting to the teams involved. 

SN: Are you pleased to see the return of the double round-robin format? Would you be opposed to expansion in order to preserve it?

Raftery: With 16 teams, you might not have played a guy for a couple of years. We’ve all seen that in football, where a team might make the Rose Bowl from the Big Ten without playing Michigan or Ohio State. I think this is a great situation for these teams, as they gain confidence. 

From left, Bill Raftery, Val Ackerman and Gus Johnson (AP Photo)
In other leagues, it suffers in terms of that evenness of competition. But I wouldn’t be opposed to an expansion if it made sense, if there is a team that would be representative or have the philosophy of these other teams. There’s a lot of good programs out there. Right now, I don’t feel or hear anything at all. Nobody seems to have that interest as we speak.

SN: What new Big East matchup are you most excited about seeing?

Raftery: I’m excited about them playing everybody. Just to see how playing Wednesday/Saturday, Wednesday/Saturday—you have to play teams that are pretty darned good—how will they stack up? Having done some work with Creighton I’ve been very impressed with their talent. Xavier, having seen them practice and they’ve done so well for so long in the Atlantic 10, dominated the league for so many years, it will be interesting to see how they do in this league.

And that leaves Butler. I found going to their practice, it was like going to Brad’s practice—the same procedures, setup, philosophy, defensive strength. The Roosevelt Jones kid being injured really hurts, and Brandon (Miller) has to find out what he wants to do at the point guard position.

I’ll be curious to see them banging heads night-in/night-out and see how all three respond.

SN: With the exception of St. John’s NCAA trip in 2011, it’s been a while since the teams in the New York metro area were big factors in the league. Do you see that changing soon?

Raftery: Seton Hall is a good example of exactly what you’re saying. (Kevin Willard is) having a knockout recruiting year; I think the change in the league has helped them quite a bit. A ‘This league is here to stay’ type of thing. I think it’s given teams a lot of confidence. Ten is a lot less than 16, and it’s certainly a lot less without UConn, Louisville, Syracuse.

In the early 80s, we were thinking Providence and Seton Hall would never make the Final Four, and then Rick did it in ’87 at Providence and P.J. had Seton Hall in there two years later. 

I think everybody has to feel, ‘If we get some good kids, we can be a presence as well.’

SN: What about St. Johns? You’ve watched them since Steve Lavin took over, the progress in recruiting and the setback when he was ill.

Raftery: To me, they could win it all in the league. I just think there are so many key things: Defensively, getting these talented kids to get after it. (D’Angelo) Harrison’s attitude, which has been good so far; Rysheed Jordan, everyone says he’s been the real deal running the team.

If they can guard—they’ve got size and they’ve got backcourt play—they could be terrific. They’re good, it’s just a matter of a mindset at this point. Steve is healthy and looks much better. He’s got the old spunk back.

SN: Will there be any noticeable difference with you broadcasting on Fox after all these years on ESPN?

Raftery: It’s interesting, all these companies now, they’re a crossbreed of people from all walks of life. Some of the people there obviously started at Fox, but there’s ESPN guys, there’s CBS guys.

The idea of really doing the best job you can no matter where you go prevails.

ESPN was so good to me, and I just loved our team. Jay (Bilas) and Sean (McDonough) and the producers and the team. That was the hardest part. Usually if you’re leaving someplace, they’re upset with you or you’re upset with them. I didn’t even think of this, but Fox expressed an interest, and the more I thought about it, I was there at the beginning of the Big East and maybe, for me, the end will be there as well.
http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...t-leaving-espn

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > College Basketball »