Home

Old 06-07-2015, 08:10 PM   #1201
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54
Re: Boxing Off-Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
If you're fighting for the middleweight championship the catch weight should be 160. If your fighting for the super middleweight title the catch weight should be 168, etc., etc.

I have no problem with any non title catch weight fight. Both parties agree to it, then that's that.

Agree 100% didn't know cotto was talking about a title fight.

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-08-2015, 10:35 AM   #1202
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by N51_rob
Agree 100% didn't know cotto was talking about a title fight.
Yeah, this middleweight title fight was 157, and when he challenged for Sergio's title it was 159.

Then he tells Kellerman he's not really a middleweight, but has this to say about future defenses. (quote below before Geale fight)

“I had to do (a catchweight) at this particular time and anyone who wants to fight me must accept a catchweight or otherwise there is no fight,”

Pretty arrogant, but does the public really have much respect for the major boxing organizations, particularly the WBC? They made Tyson their number one contender after his release from prison. Or rather Don King made Tyson the WBC's one contender.

EDIT: Nothing to do with Tyson's conviction. Based on the evidence, I , like many others, thought he should have been acquitted. It's the fact that the WBC made him the #1 after zero fights in four years.

Last edited by JayBee74; 06-08-2015 at 10:58 AM.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:57 PM   #1203
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcityjames
it's bad enough that every weight class has a "junior" and "super" in between them. there should be no need for catchweights. middleweight is 155-160....therefore it should be up to the fighter to choose the weight he fights at as long as he weighs in anywhere between 155-160. a weight division is what it is, and catchweight fights need to stop.....just my opinion
I agree with this, in boxing catchweights should be banned, they simiply fall in one of the many weight categories...

for the record I don't have a problem with the weight categories - they could lose a few, but where I think they would benefit is at the light heavyweight level.

175lbs is light heavyweight, cruiser is under 200 and heavy is anything over 201 and over (up to 260?) then it's super if I remember correctly.

So you have all the 5 pound increments, then in a zone where in modern times between 175-200 is a very popular weight category for athletes to be in - just based on the average build of a modern male.

I would be ok with taking away a couple on the very light side, adding a 185 pound class and doing away with catchweights.

We don't need every one of these imo: 112,115,120,125,130,135
Old 06-08-2015, 01:59 PM   #1204
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Can someone explain to me how boxing promoters make money? Take the Guerrero/Martinez fight this weekend:

The total payout for all fighters on the card was $1,450,000 (Guerrero made 1 mil).

There appeared to be no more than 2,000 people at the fight and a good deal of those were comped.

Haymon/PBC still appears to have trouble getting advertisers because the majority of advertisements were Corona ads, ads for future PBC fights and ads for NBC programming.

So Haymon isnt making money from ads. He isnt making money from ticket sales or the gate. He isnt making money from TV rights because he buying time on NBC.

So how is he making any money from PBC? This isnt the only PBC fight that has had this issue. Stevenson/Bika and Khan/Algeri had plenty of comped tickets.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:52 PM   #1205
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Can someone explain to me how boxing promoters make money? Take the Guerrero/Martinez fight this weekend:

The total payout for all fighters on the card was $1,450,000 (Guerrero made 1 mil).

There appeared to be no more than 2,000 people at the fight and a good deal of those were comped.

Haymon/PBC still appears to have trouble getting advertisers because the majority of advertisements were Corona ads, ads for future PBC fights and ads for NBC programming.

So Haymon isnt making money from ads. He isnt making money from ticket sales or the gate. He isnt making money from TV rights because he buying time on NBC.

So how is he making any money from PBC? This isnt the only PBC fight that has had this issue. Stevenson/Bika and Khan/Algeri had plenty of comped tickets.
They make money from PPVs and Satruday Nights on Showtime and HBO. These Sunday-Friday fights aren't about making money they are about building up a fighter. In the case of PBC, its about building the brand. Haymon will eventually hope to do the kind of TV numbers that will start to payout, but I think he went into this venture knowing that year 1+ was about building the brand and not making money. If by year two or three he isn't seeing a return on the investment he will scuttle PBC and looks for soemthing like Friday Night Fights on one of the sports channels exclusivly.

I think the De Le Hoya law suit may also be keeping advertisers away.

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-08-2015, 04:41 PM   #1206
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:

My head is swimming trying to figure that out. In March on Spike, Berto-Lopez alone cost $1 1/4 million in purses and the co-feature cost another $625,000. Almost $1.9 million in purses for a Spike televised boxing match????

Quote:
They make money from PPVs and Satruday Nights on Showtime and HBO. These Sunday-Friday fights aren't about making money they are about building up a fighter. In the case of PBC, its about building the brand. Haymon will eventually hope to do the kind of TV numbers that will start to payout, but I think he went into this venture knowing that year 1+ was about building the brand and not making money. If by year two or three he isn't seeing a return on the investment he will scuttle PBC and looks for soemthing like Friday Night Fights on one of the sports channels exclusivly.

It's a plan, but a risky one considering there aren't many fighters who establish themselves as viable in the American PPV market. You have Floyd-Pac and then Cotto-Canelo . Even with Alvarez's fanatic Mexican fan base he hasn't killed it on PPV. Cotto-Martinez slightly underperformed Canelo's last two PPV fights.

Why did they give Guerrero $1 million to fight a C fighter? They haven't realized he'll never be a PPV golden goose?
Old 06-08-2015, 04:58 PM   #1207
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:

Is PPV even that lucrative for boxing anymore? Look at this year. We have the Mayweather/Pac fight which was huge. We have Canelo/Cotto and probably Mayweather/Khan. 3 PPV level fights seems kinda low.

As for Haymon, I cant see him making it into year 2 at this point unless he goes exclusive and a network agrees to pay him for the fights. No advertiser growth even though he's doing solid ratings. The fights he's putting on are decent but not must see fights. Plus PBC is cannablizing his Showtime relationship.

We are 6 months into the year and he's put on 3 fights on Showtime (Wilder/Stiverne, Gonzalez/Russell and the Wilder fight this weekend). With the exception of the first Wilder fight, Showtime isnt paying big money for the rest of those fights.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:30 PM   #1208
Mo
SSN

Mo's Arena

OVR: 39

Quote:
Can someone explain to me how boxing promoters make money?
They steal.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing »