Home

Diaz vs Malignaggi

This is a discussion on Diaz vs Malignaggi within the Boxing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 09-06-2009, 06:32 AM   #17
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: Diaz vs Malignaggi

It was a close fight but I thought Malignaggi did enough in the later rounds to secure the victory. He wasn't dropping bombs on Diaz, but he was very active and controlled the fight more so than his opponent did. Diaz landed a handful of solid shots and small flurries throughout the bout, but I don't think his efforts outweighed Malignaggi's performance. There were several rounds during the fight that I would've almost called a draw, and it's obvious that they gave all those to Diaz. Even so, it's hard for me to understand how he won. Was it because he didn't appear agressive enough? I don't know, but I do know 118-110 was nonsense.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:58 AM   #18
ZB9
Hall Of Fame

ZB9's Arena

OVR: 28

scores should have been closer, but you are delusional if you think he was "robbed" of an actual win. There is no way you can say Paulie clearly won the fight runnin from Diaz and throwing pitter patter jabs all night. Again, point out one point of the fight where he had Baby Bull staggered or in trouble. The bad cut was from an elbow.

anyway, it doesnt matter. The fact is Diaz won. Everything else is hypothetical and/or sour grapes
Old 09-06-2009, 10:51 AM   #19
MVP

parker002's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZB9
scores should have been closer, but you are delusional if you think he was "robbed" of an actual win. There is no way you can say Paulie clearly won the fight runnin from Diaz and throwing pitter patter jabs all night. Again, point out one point of the fight where he had Baby Bull staggered or in trouble. The bad cut was from an elbow.

anyway, it doesnt matter. The fact is Diaz won. Everything else is hypothetical and/or sour grapes
I think alot of people forget that boxing has a points system for a reason. It really doesn't matter if Diaz was "in trouble". If Paulie landed more punches, he should have won, plain and simple. Too much fan emphasis is placed on power punches, etc. And we wonder why EA produces boxing games with haymakers and the like...

Anyway, the fight was close and should have been a draw, because in my own mind, I could make a case for both guys.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:16 PM   #20
MVP

OVR: 24

Boxing is hit and don't be hit. Power shots do play a part, and are more damaging blows. But if we use the logic of simply powershots landing, boxing would be dominated by Lamont Brewster types.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:42 PM   #21
MVP

parker002's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex
Boxing is hit and don't be hit. Power shots do play a part, and are more damaging blows. But if we use the logic of simply powershots landing, boxing would be dominated by Lamont Brewster types.
Exactly.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-06-2009, 07:23 PM   #22
ZB9
Hall Of Fame

ZB9's Arena

LOL is that why you guys thought Paulie won, because he landed a higher quantity of total punches?....It wasnt an amateur match

compubox says that Paulie landed all of 13 more punches overall lol....but to judge a winner of a boxing match by compubox is obviously extremely silly

Last edited by ZB9; 09-06-2009 at 07:26 PM.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:25 PM   #23
ZB9
Hall Of Fame

ZB9's Arena

btw, about Paulie's jabs, below is the best commentary ive seen regarding that

I've heard some continued talk about Paulie having "controlled the fight" with his jab, so I figured I would go ahead and address it below the jump, if anyone cares to read it:

A good jab is a utility punch that can be used for all kinds of things. It can be used for disrupting your opponent’s timing, measuring distance, setting up combinations, as blinding cover for a right cross, as a wedge to pry open a cut... some boxers are even able to use the jab as a formidable weapon all it’s own.

But if you are mainly using the jab to short circuit an opponent's offense, then it had better do exactly that. In the case of the middle rounds against Diaz, it didn’t. For instance, Paulie landed 11 jabs in the close sixth round, but Juan was still able to come in 16 times and land power punches on Paulie. So basically… it didn’t work! Trading 11 jabs for 16 power punches is not a good trade-off, unless you are able to also land power punches of your own (he wasn’t; Paulie only landed 9). So even if those numbers were closer, it still wouldn’t qualify as having stopped Juan's game plan. Getting inside to land hooks was exactly what Juan was trying to do, and Paulie generally wasn’t able to stop him from doing that.

This trend continued through round seven and round eight. In round seven, Diaz outlanded Malignaggi 18-15 (not even counting the inside rough stuff). There Paulie landed 9 jabs in an unsuccessful effort to disrupt and fend off 13 power punches from Juan… again, this is a bad trade! For his part, Paulie landed 6 of his own power shots in that round while Juan hit him with 5 jabs. So who exactly was imposing his will in that round?

Round eight was closer… Paulie connected with 9 jabs versus 9 power punches from Juan. But, to quote my old boxing coach: "If I give you five nickels and you give me five dimes, who's richer?" Meanwhile, Juan landed 7 jabs of his own compared to 5 power connects from Paulie. In a way, you could even say that Juan had the more effective jab in that round, because he once again was able to land more and bigger punches while limiting Paulie’s own power punch production. In all three of these rounds, Juan was more accurate and more effective at doing what he wanted to do, which was getting to Paulie with left and right hooks.

I think rounds 6, 7 and 8 are the most misunderstood rounds of this fight. Paulie threw a blizzard of jabs to try to keep Juan off of him, but he 1) missed most of what he threw and 2) wasn’t able to stop Juan from getting in anyway.

Last edited by ZB9; 09-06-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:31 PM   #24
ZB9
Hall Of Fame

ZB9's Arena

another btw....who would you guys say won the 8th round?...just curious

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing »