Home

Best 3-4 Linemen?

This is a discussion on Best 3-4 Linemen? within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 03-13-2009, 12:54 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
Best 3-4 Linemen?

I was wondering who would be considered the best 3-4 linemen, either for NT or for DE.

It seems like Reggie White is physically perfect for LDE, but I havent had success with him there.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-13-2009, 01:56 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Best 3-4 Linemen?

Bethea is monster plus you get leadership that improves your generics on the line. His swim move is up there w/ the best of them. I have played w/ many dominate dline men, but I believe he and Manley are the best.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:47 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 4

Where would you put Bethea on the Dline?

I never manually controlled him, and he was in 4-3 LDE (manley opposite). He didnt dominate over there. Where would you put him in 3-4, as LDE? I have always pretty much put manley as my 3-4 Rush OLB.

I played one game with Art Donovan at Nose and I didnt notice too much from him. Im thinking of giving up on him.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:36 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 8

In the 3-4, you want to strive for run support. While Reggie seems like the prototypical 3-4 DE (big strong and fast) int APF 2K8 he has too many pass rush moves to really be that effective. In this case, I tend to pick DTs and set them at DE. Manley is not effective in the 3-4 because he's not a good tackle. He's more of an end. He could play OLB in this scheme, but not end since the 3-4 is like a 5-2 with 3 down linemen.

At the nose I like William Perry. He's large and can really collapse the middle of the pocket. One of my favorites at DE is Jerome Brown. He's fast, big and can really stop the run on his side. Leon Lett is also a great run stopper too. I tend to have him at the other end. I'm also trying out Bob Lilly at the DE spot too. He's a fast run stopper so he might workout really well here.

Remember in the 3-4, the lineman aren't designed to get to the QB, they're designed to draw the OL double teams so the LBs can blitz unimpeded. Unfortunately in APF 2K8, I don't think they handle the DL is handled properly in that too often they don't hold their blocks on running plays. But for the most part that's the strategy.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:49 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Bethea actually played RDE in the 34--check out profootballreference.com. Also native to the 34 is Leroy Selmon. Leslie Oneill played LDE in the 34 late in his career.

Those guys aren't the big run anchors, but they're not pansies either. You just want to make sure that on pass downs you have stunts and blitzes that get them 1-1 with a T or G to take advantage of the pass rush ability.

Though he never played in one, I would think Too Tall a good 34 end just because he dominates tackles so consistently.

Also, and little known, Dan Hampton played LDE in the 34 for a year or so.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-13-2009, 09:09 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 55

Donovan is awesome if you want to spend a gold there.

Dan Saleaumua is a great NG at the bronze level.

Clyde Simmons is exceptional at bronze DE for the 3-4 system. He has bull rush and strength bonus I believe. He weighs a lot too... he's the closest thing to Aaron Smith in this game.

Personally I'm still a believer that you put your talent at the linebacker level in a 3-4, even in this game. The best defense I've ever created by far is a 1995 Steelers team. I have 7 players on defense, 4 linebackers and 3 DB's. That team is so athletic it's obscene. Anyone can sack the QB and anyone can line up on the DL on passing downs. Many people believe the opposite. They believe the D-Line needs legends on it for the 3-4 to succeed. I just know what I've seen with that Steeler team.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:58 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 8

In APF 2K8 you may be right about the star LBs. But in the NFL if the DL doesn't get respect and get some double teams, the LBs won't get penetration and a zone blocking scheme just eats them alive.

The more I practice with 3 star DL in the 3-4, the more I find that the generic LBs can get a decent amount of pressure. You just need to be well aware of those outside runs and gold star RBs. In that sense, it helps to have a gold star safety with run support or run read.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:17 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 34

The best 3-4 DL in my opinion, is Art Donovan. He's tremendous.

Besides his leadership bonus, his stamina bonus is key. He NEVER tires.

That's super important, because that DT has to play through trash every down. He has a non stop motor.

Best 3-4 NTs

Donovan
Jerome Brown
Fridge
Dan Saliamua

Best 3-4 DE's

Chris Doleman
Reggie White
Too Tall
Clyde Simmons
Leonard Marshall

---in the 3-4 if you want to play with a legend DE, you need a power guy at that position.

There are also some DE's that can play the Rush OLB spot.

Doleman is FANTASTIC at this, as is Dexter Manley

My approach to the 3-4 is:

Stud DT
Pass Rush LB, or a DE at the Rush LB Spot
ILB who I manually use
Good Tackling Safety
Cover Corner
Run support..wrap up tackler Corner

OR

DT
DE
LB
Rush LB
Safety
Safety

Last edited by sportyguyfl31; 03-13-2009 at 10:20 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »