Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-11-2013, 10:07 AM   #1
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Official College Football Week 12 thread

The games grow in importance as we reach the end of the regular season. Still several teams with a shot at the BCS title game. Here are the match ups of Top 25 teams this weekend:

Oklahoma State at Texas
Georgia at Auburn
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:38 AM   #2
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Ga Tech at Clemson Thursday night, a win for the Tigers eliminates a coastal division contender (Tech actually has a half-game lead in their division at the moment but would lose on tiebreakers to both Va Tech & Miami)

Miami at Duke, Va Tech (who seems to have the inside track on an ACC title game beatdown by FSU at the moment) goes to Maryland
Old 11-11-2013, 01:54 PM   #3
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Friday night game is at the Rose Bowl, as UDub visits UCLA in an important game for both programs. Be prepared for lots of banter back and forth between me, Bug, dawgfan and Lathum, at least.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:19 PM   #4
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Would it be considered the biggest upset of all time if Cuse knocks off FSU? They are 38.5 point dogs. The money line on Cuse opened at $22,000.

I just hope FSU has to keep their starters in for the second half.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:38 PM   #5
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
Would it be considered the biggest upset of all time if Cuse knocks off FSU? They are 38.5 point dogs. The money line on Cuse opened at $22,000.

I just hope FSU has to keep their starters in for the second half.

I did a little research, and found that when Stanford beat USC in 2007, they were 41 point dogs. That's the only one I found higher.

However, I did see that Cuse beat Louisville that same season as 37 point dogs, so there's hope, I guess.
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:49 PM   #6
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Friday night game is at the Rose Bowl, as UDub visits UCLA in an important game for both programs. Be prepared for lots of banter back and forth between me, Bug, dawgfan and Lathum, at least.

alreay have plans to go out and watch.

I think this game is a really good test to where we are at. I had no expectations of beating Stanford or Oregon, eventhough we should have beaten Stanford, but this is a game we should win if we truly have made progress.

We had a great tune up Saturday, looking really good against a somewhat improved CU team. Hopefully it carries over.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:31 PM   #7
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

MSU @ Nebraska. If MSU wins, it is them and OSU in the Big Ten title game. Michigan plays Northwestern in a game I'm trying to figure out how much I care about. If Michigan were to lose, there could be a legit chance of Michigan finishing at least tied for the bottom of the Legends division.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:41 PM   #8
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I was feeling moderately optimistic about this game until I saw Myles Jack go off on offense.

Strictly on paper, I think the Huskies should win - you look at how they compare in ratings by Sagarin, FEI, S&P and F+, and all of them have Washington rated higher by several spots.

But there's some concern about how Washington has managed on the road - a bit overblown in my opinion, but the meltdown at ASU earlier this year was a head-scratcher.

Really comes down to:
- Can the Huskies give Keith Price reasonable time in the pocket?
- Can the Huskies get pressure on Brett Hundley and wrap him up when they flush him?
- Can Bishop Sankey exploit a mediocre Bruin run defense?
- Can the Huskies keep Myles Jack from shredding them?
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:32 PM   #9
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Some fun Wednesday night MACtion this week. 9-1 Ball State at Northern Illinois.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:05 PM   #10
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa gets their 2nd bye to prep for Michigan and Nebraska. I think we get one, possibly both if we can run the ball.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:17 PM   #11
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Stanford and USC should be a good game, I think USC looks a lot better under Ed Oregon, and they've played Stanford reasonably well the last couple of years.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:23 PM   #12
General Mike
Pro Starter

Rutgers is gonna lose to Cincinnati. Kyle Flood is gonna get axed? I hope so.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:26 PM   #13
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Not sure if this was referenced in another thread, but I continue to be amused by Ohio State in all it's splendor:

Ohio State WR: Buckeyes would 'wipe the field' with Tide, Noles - CBSSports.com

I can't stand the SEC, but it is easily the best conference in the country right now and has been for several years. The idea that Ohio State would even be competitive against Alabama is comical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:05 PM   #14
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
Rutgers is gonna lose to Cincinnati. Kyle Flood is gonna get axed? I hope so.

His new stance on recruiting sure as hell should dictate it even before Saturday.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:12 PM   #15
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
His new stance on recruiting sure as hell should dictate it even before Saturday.

I saw he's taking the no visits stance. That doesn't really work in today's college football (outside of a handful of teams that can get away with it).
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:19 PM   #16
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Not sure if this was referenced in another thread, but I continue to be amused by Ohio State in all it's splendor:

I can't stand the SEC, but it is easily the best conference in the country right now and has been for several years. The idea that Ohio State would even be competitive against Alabama is comical.

I know Stanford has the edge, but I would love to see Oregon play OSU. I don't even think Oregon would win by default, but Oregon can score, and I don't think OSU's defense is that elite yet from a physical standpoint. But seriously, OSU beat NW and Iowa by ten points. Nobody has been within 14 of FSU. If a physical team like Wisconsin can give OSU a run, I'm pretty sure 'Bama will be more than OK.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:01 AM   #17
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Stanford and USC should be a good game, I think USC looks a lot better under Ed Oregon, and they've played Stanford reasonably well the last couple of years.
Yep. Two fairly similar teams - very good defenses with physical and athletic front 7's, old-school offenses (though Stanford relies a lot more on power formations). USC is on a roll lately, enough so that I think they've got a shot even with their reduced number of healthy scholarship players.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:04 AM   #18
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
I know Stanford has the edge, but I would love to see Oregon play OSU. I don't even think Oregon would win by default, but Oregon can score, and I don't think OSU's defense is that elite yet from a physical standpoint. But seriously, OSU beat NW and Iowa by ten points. Nobody has been within 14 of FSU. If a physical team like Wisconsin can give OSU a run, I'm pretty sure 'Bama will be more than OK.

This already happened, in the 2010 Rose Bowl. Yes, I'm sure everything would be so "different" now. They're much better, we're much worse, blah blah blah.

I was trying to think if there were any recent Michigan players to say anything stupid in public that would have an actual impact to action on the field, unlike what Spencer said which is basically the equivalent of "I have confidence in our team."

I was trying to find an instance, but it was so Hart... I mean hard.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:31 AM   #19
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
This already happened, in the 2010 Rose Bowl. Yes, I'm sure everything would be so "different" now. They're much better, we're much worse, blah blah blah.

I was trying to think if there were any recent Michigan players to say anything stupid in public that would have an actual impact to action on the field, unlike what Spencer said which is basically the equivalent of "I have confidence in our team."

I was trying to find an instance, but it was so Hart... I mean hard.

2010 has no real impact on this season. There's a big difference in having confidence in your team and going out and saying your team would wipe the floor against the two highest ranked teams. There's no equivalent about it.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:36 AM   #20
MrBug708
Head Coach

UCLA - UW, the blackout game. I'm going to it, should be interesting on how many people go. It's pretty foolish to schedule a 6pm game on a Friday in LA.

Should be a fun game. I think Mora really wants to beat UW.

Just saw Dawgfan's post. While statistically, UCLA isn't that great vs the ground game, their schedule has some pretty run first teams. Nebraska, Nevada, Oregon, Arizona are all heavy run teams with great running QB's. It's going to be hard to stop them all where it positively helps their overall rankings.

I disagree on paper. I think UW's playcalling on offense is better right now. The play on the lines should be interesting. I think UCLA has a much better front 7 than UW and OL hasn't been a strength of either program close to a decade now, but can UCLA get Anthony Barr going again? What is UCLA going to do with Myles Jack? He looks like their best offensive threat right now, but he's still a defensive player first. Do we risk tiring him out on offense at the expense of the defense?

Last edited by MrBug708 : 11-12-2013 at 08:41 AM.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:36 AM   #21
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
2010 has no real impact on this season. There's a big difference in having confidence in your team and going out and saying your team would wipe the floor against the two highest ranked teams. There's no equivalent about it.

It's all in semantics and your own personal interpretation. I am personally shocked and surprised that you've attached the most negative connotation you could to it. Shocked AND surprised.

Last edited by Butter : 11-12-2013 at 08:37 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:29 AM   #22
digamma
Torchbearer

On the ACC race, going into this week, Virginia (0-6) is the only team that doesn't have a chance to at least tie for the Coastal division title. There is the possibility of a 5 way tie at 5-3.

On the other side, Florida State has clinched.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:03 PM   #23
Kodos
Resident Alien

Time for the Wisconsin game. Should be pretty painful to watch, especially without our top RB and with our best safety out. Honestly, I give us a better shot at beating OSU. Wisconsin is a bad matchup for us, both in football and basketball.

Last edited by Kodos : 11-12-2013 at 12:03 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #24
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post

Easily? I wouldn't say that at all. I do think the SEC is still the best conference in the country, but the gap between it and the Pac 12 this year is not so much. This seems an odd year to proclaim it "easily the best conference in the country right now".

Of course, you could certainly could have made that statement in each of the last several years, and I don't think anyone doubts the SEC is, in general, the top conference in football. Well, outside of the "American" and "National" conferences.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 11-12-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:40 PM   #25
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Yep. Two fairly similar teams - very good defenses with physical and athletic front 7's, old-school offenses (though Stanford relies a lot more on power formations). USC is on a roll lately, enough so that I think they've got a shot even with their reduced number of healthy scholarship players.

Wonder if that depth issue will come into play late in games, especially if Stanford just continues to bust out 8-9 linemen and powersets out there. I think grinding USC down will be a key part of their plans.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #26
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Wonder if that depth issue will come into play late in games, especially if Stanford just continues to bust out 8-9 linemen and powersets out there. I think grinding USC down will be a key part of their plans.
Possibly. I would think that the mobility of Hogan will prove even more important. The Trojans did a great job containing B.J. Denker, but Taylor Kelly gave them fits.

Another factor is how much does Gaffney have in the tank? After 45 hard-fought carries, how banged-up is he? How comfortable will Shaw be in subbing in Wilkerson, etc?
Old 11-12-2013, 03:00 PM   #27
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Possibly. I would think that the mobility of Hogan will prove even more important. The Trojans did a great job containing B.J. Denker, but Taylor Kelly gave them fits.

Another factor is how much does Gaffney have in the tank? After 45 hard-fought carries, how banged-up is he? How comfortable will Shaw be in subbing in Wilkerson, etc?

Yeah, Shaw has a wealth of depth at RB (Wilkerson, Barry Sanders Jr, Rickey Seale), and just apparently refuses to trust any of them - he used Stefon Taylor the same way last year. Don't know why he isn't more careful about their usage.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:59 PM   #28
bob
College Starter

Georgia Tech needs to fire Paul Johnson. That is all.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:20 PM   #29
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post

Can't recruit, can't coach up ... that's a bad combination for a college coach no matter what scheme you run
Old 11-14-2013, 09:38 PM   #30
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Not much sadder than watching GT play a team that has actual D1 caliber athletes.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:51 PM   #31
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post

I'm curious about this.

I turn 38 this weekend. Georgia Tech has won 8 games or more 11 times in my lifetime. Paul Johnson has 3 of those seasons and has a chance for a fourth this year.

I'm frustrated about tonight. I put my son to bed with tears in his eyes. But, we're asking Johnson to do a Yeoman's task. He's been given nothing he was promised on the academic side in terms of more majors and more academic exceptions.

Further there is no money to fire him and hire any coach worth a damn. A sure way to blow up the program is to bring in a retread willing to work for cheap.

2014 is going to be his most important year, most experienced team. If it is another 6 or 7 win season, I'm on board.

The difference I see between him and Gailey is that Gailey's teams would have packed it in down 20-0. This team didn't quit. They sucked for a lot of the game, but they didn't quit.

***And a big eff you to the Clemson scrubs and coaches laughing at the targeting penalty. That's all for me.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:27 AM   #32
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
This team didn't quit. They sucked for a lot of the game, but they didn't quit.

No, they didn't quit, that's true.

But they still sucked for a lot of the game ... and at some point enough of that is enough. One more loss to UGA should be his last.

Also, re: 8 wins this year ... that would require beating Georgia, but it would also come with beating 2 I-AA teams. The latter has to be at least a bit of an asterisk as far as the win total goes.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:23 AM   #33
Butter
Coordinator

Found it amusing that the ESPN sideline reporter said that at halftime CPJ said that they couldn't execute their offense because they were so deep on their side of the field. Yes, that was it. Field position was stopping you from dominating.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:25 AM   #34
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Found it amusing that the ESPN sideline reporter said that at halftime CPJ said that they couldn't execute their offense because they were so deep on their side of the field. Yes, that was it. Field position was stopping you from dominating.

Couldn't possibly be the failure to recruit anybody who can catch a fucking kicked ball, nah.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:43 AM   #35
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

There may not be a better play caller in the country than Paul Johnson, he has an amazing knack to continually self scout, and tease and floss plays throughout a game.

That said, his personality would make it difficult to recruit even to a more traditional scheme. He is one of the more smug individuals Ive ever met in my life.

PJ probably owes Kevin Steele a couple million dollars, because he single handedly extended his tenure for a few seasons.

For the first time in 5 years Clemson has a legitimate Defensive line, which is the key to stopping an option team.

Last night was cold as hell for South Carolina but a fun game none the less.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:20 AM   #36
MrBug708
Head Coach

Good Luck Husky fans!
Old 11-15-2013, 09:01 AM   #37
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Couldn't possibly be the failure to recruit anybody who can catch a fucking kicked ball, nah.

All ACC kick off returner is out for the season. We're like down to the third or fourth string there.

Smelter had a bad night and got benched. Dumb comment by CPJ, but at the same time field position definitely huge played a part early.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:07 AM   #38
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

really surprised Vegas has us as 3 point dogs on the road. They are basically saying we are even against UCLA.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:34 AM   #39
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
really surprised Vegas has us as 3 point dogs on the road. They are basically saying we are even against UCLA.

Taking into consideration some key injuries to UCLA's line and running backs, and some of the inconsistency that has popped up in the Bruins gameplanning the past few weeks, I think of these teams as pretty evenly matched really, and tonight feels like a toss up. It should be a great game.

I do wish UCLA had Goines and White on the line and James in the backfield. Even if you also get back Kasen Williams, I still think the Bruins win that game going away, at the Rose Bowl at least. But with those injuries, they're a much less dominant offense.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 11-15-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:43 PM   #40
Logan
Head Coach

Stop me if you've heard this before...there's going to be a story coming out in the next few days citing player abuse by a Rutgers coach. This time it's defensive coordinator Dave Cohen. This will get Kyle Flood fired.

edit: Basically it is one kid's word (who has now left the team) against the coach, claiming both physical and verbal abuse. No other players are corroborating the story at this time, although "sources" say that the physical abuse claim, at least, is a lie. Won't matter. After Rice, they'll both be gone.

Last edited by Logan : 11-15-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:23 PM   #41
bob
College Starter

This is why Paul Johnson should be fired:

Since 2010 GT FB under CPJ’s leadership is:

0-4 vs. VT

0-4 vs. Miami

1-3 vs. Clemson

0-3 vs. UGA

1-14 vs. the “big-4” since the start of the 2010 season.

No other coach anywhere else survives that.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:25 PM   #42
bhlloy
Coordinator

A 6pm rose bowl game is really going to fuck up my commute, so that's great.

I think UCLA at home should be a TD favorite at least, but I haven't really watched Washington this season so I may be underselling them.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:53 PM   #43
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Stop me if you've heard this before...there's going to be a story coming out in the next few days citing player abuse by a Rutgers coach. This time it's defensive coordinator Dave Cohen. This will get Kyle Flood fired.

edit: Basically it is one kid's word (who has now left the team) against the coach, claiming both physical and verbal abuse. No other players are corroborating the story at this time, although "sources" say that the physical abuse claim, at least, is a lie. Won't matter. After Rice, they'll both be gone.

Not sure how I feel about this. I'm really down on Flood right now, and wanted a change at least at the D coordinator position, but I don't like the idea of kids making false abuse claims. I'll just go back to doing this

Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:48 PM   #44
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I am unlikely to be around or on until either well into the game or after it ends, so best of luck for a good game, dawg fans.

Go Bruins!

Old 11-15-2013, 08:24 PM   #45
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

This is not a good start
Old 11-15-2013, 09:09 PM   #46
BillJasper
Pro Starter

I still don't understand this desire college teams have to out-ugly each other. Those UCLA uniforms look terrible.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:11 PM   #47
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Bad call against UW.

We'll see if Washington can get a safety here and get the ball back and make it a game before halftime..
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:24 PM   #48
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
I still don't understand this desire college teams have to out-ugly each other. Those UCLA uniforms look terrible.

They do, and I couldn't tell which team was witch from a distance now that I've put the game on. Such classic unis for UCLA and they continue to eff them up.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:53 AM   #49
MrBug708
Head Coach

Frustrating game to be out, but I'm thrilled we won. I'd say half the stadium arrived in the second quarter. I hope they never do a Friday night game again. Surprised we got as many fans out as we did.

UCLA, while not the only team to have injuries, was down to one scholarship player at RB. (Not counting Jack as a RB). This goes with Hundley being the only scholarship QB.

Time to mix up the playbook with Jack. Teams obviously know what is coming. All it did was wear him down by the 4th quarter.

Miles looked pretty good. UCLA's DB's were atrocious.

On the trenches (OL and DL), 5 of the 8 players are true freshmen. Fuller was sat at halftime.

ASU really needs to lose tomorrow for me to feel comfortable. I don't think we lose to ASU at home.

The black uniforms didn't look great on the big screen (and I imagine on TV as well) but up close and person, they looked pretty nice. I bought one this week when I was in Westwood for the game. They just don't feel...UCLA. Back to the Light Blue/Gold for the last two games. UCLA is doing it because the players and fans want it. It's for one game or so, the old timers can deal with it.

USC is getting a lot of love. Way more than they should be. Can't believe that game got gameday.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:43 AM   #50
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Cyrus lookes really good when he was in.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote