Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOF9, FOF8, and TCY Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-27-2023, 05:35 PM   #1
Cole
H.S. Freshman Team

Trailer video on Steam page

I don’t know how long it’s been there, but know it wasn’t originally and I just noticed it today …

So as a heads up …
The Steam store page now has a 2 minute trailer video.

Nothing flashy, but it shows off more of the UI and game screens.

I’ve got to admit, it looks great. I’ve always been impressed with the depth of stat tracking immersion in this series, but the new UI looks infinitely more functional and useful. I’m super excited to get into the game!

Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 06:36 PM   #2
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

League-wide QB rating of 94.7. Gimme summa dat!
Old 10-27-2023, 06:37 PM   #3
Ben E Lou

Heh...that was 10-11 game in. Full season (2053) coming in at 7.14 ypa, 93.7 rtg. Yummy.
Old 10-27-2023, 06:45 PM   #4
Ben E Lou

From a box score: OMG FINALLY A SCREEN PASS THAT FEELS LIKE A SCREEN (1 catch, 21 yards, 26 YAC.) I've never seen that in FOF and it has long been a minor irritation.
Old 10-27-2023, 06:47 PM   #5
Ben E Lou

Some odd/unexpected abbreviations that I'm sure I'll get used to (like RTR...everyone calls it RR now.)
Old 10-27-2023, 06:50 PM   #6
Ben E Lou

I REALLY like the season-by-season team stats screen. I have a similar on in my MP php pages that I love to review, and I'm sure I'll do likewise with this one.
Old 10-28-2023, 01:40 AM   #7
james17
n00b

From the screenshots: I really like the new in-game play screen that shows real-time game stats.

Meanwhile, the trailer has whetted my appetite even more. Can't wait to buy this game.

Love the new interface too.
james17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 06:01 AM   #8
NawlinsFan
High School Varsity

How do you interpret the hieght column? i.e. 6026
NawlinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 06:46 AM   #9
AlexB
Pro Starter

Looking at the full list, 6026 is 6’ 2.6”

Nice touch that there are things like 2 game suspensions for late hits
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 10:40 AM   #10
NawlinsFan
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
Looking at the full list, 6026 is 6’ 2.6”

I was thinking the same but still curious. Thanks.
NawlinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 07:48 AM   #11
Ben E Lou

Any guesses as to what the circled columns mean, or are they just the obvious and there's a reporting bug in beta that needs to be squashed?

Dropbox - offensiveline.png - Simplify your life
Old 10-30-2023, 08:18 AM   #12
Ben E Lou

More trailer-induced musings...
  • WRs have viewable hole rec. Possibly a way to tease out better options for end-arounds?
  • Interception ability is listed in the Defensive Philosophy doc and in the screen shot of a defensive player, so it seems safe to assume that it's still in the game, but it's not showing on the depth chart screen. It'd be helpful if that rating eventually makes its way there.
  • The "analyze" screen on defense (also mentioned in the documentation) really stands out as a significantly useful addition.
  • Love love love the offensive breakdown screen! It's far more than merely a small progression from FOF8's scouting report screen. It looks like a GIANT step forward in determining where your offense is struggling for those of us who ain't bothering to call plays or look at game logs in SP!
  • Just noticed that box scores appear to have scrambles broken out from other QB runs. Nice!
All in all, I'm not sure I can remember when I've been this excited for a game's impending release. Really looking forward to kicking the tires on this one!
Old 10-30-2023, 11:33 AM   #13
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Any guesses as to what the circled columns mean, or are they just the obvious and there's a reporting bug in beta that needs to be squashed?

Dropbox - offensiveline.png - Simplify your life

Future Run Blocking, Future Pass Blocking and Future Special Teams?

Last edited by johnnyshaka : 10-30-2023 at 11:34 AM.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 11:53 AM   #14
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
Future Run Blocking, Future Pass Blocking and Future Special Teams?

Those were what I meant by “the obvious,” but FPB < PBL for four of the players listed there--which could just simply be a reflection of a relatively minor pre-release bug.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 10-30-2023 at 12:05 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 12:13 PM   #15
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I'm hoping to make more use of screen recordings. Since I don't stream or even watch video, a lot of new concepts.

One thing I just learned: you have to screen-record an entire monitor to pick up child windows. For example, if you have a drop-down menu and you're screen-recording an app, the drop-down menu isn't recorded (you see a couple of places on that recording where the mouse is doing something, but it's all blank).

This comment will invite some mocking, but one thing I did once we backed out of the unnamed project is spend a lot of time learning some more advanced Windows drawing techniques. A lot of younger graphics experts would say this was a waste of time: there are modern tools that are far better.

OOTP's solution was a product called Qt. A lot of people use it (they use it for FHM). We were using it. It has a lot of plusses. There's a standard "widget" that Microsoft calls a List Control that's the basis of everything in an application that looks like part of a spreadsheet. I use it on pretty much every screen.

The Microsoft Foundation Classes List Control is tested, fast, robust. If computer programs were living beings, the List Control would be the Carbon. After a year or so of working with the Qt equivalent, I missed the MFC control. Qt "can" do anything, but not as well, not as flexible, not as fast. When I started over, I wanted my List Control back, and I spent a quite a bit of time taking the customized List Control from FOF8 and redesigning it for FOF9. Going back to it was like breathing again.

So, it's old school, but I am convinced that my customized List Control does more than any cutting edge equivalent, all things considered. It's also (sorry Mac fans) the reason I don't support anything but Windows. My coding for the most part is generic C++. But I stick with basic Windows device-context drawing because MFC is based on it.

One of my favorite new features with the drawing relates to the question Ben posed. What are all these abbreviations? In FOF9, whenever you run the mouse over a header on a List Control (and many data items), there's a pop up that tells you exactly what you're looking at. There are 17 different kinds of pop-ups in the interface, ranging from a pure text header explanation to play diagrams.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 12:25 PM   #16
Ben E Lou

To Jim: Thanks for the info. I actually kinda thought there might be a popup there, but didn't want to assume. Good to know. (I'd still imagine I'll get to know them well enough that I won't need the header help.)

To Others: Duh. It looks like I missed something even MORE obvious: they're probably just off by a column. PBL=FST in all instances. It's almost gotta be that PBL is meant to be current strength and FST is future strength (being a static rating in previous versions) and just a header issue (theory further bolstered by the fact that STR is an empty column.)

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 10-30-2023 at 12:29 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 10:31 AM   #17
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Those were what I meant by “the obvious,” but FPB < PBL for four of the players listed there--which could just simply be a reflection of a relatively minor pre-release bug.

I thought they could've meant "Fit PB" and "Fit RB" and those were aligned to the QB noted at the bottom of the screen. It's also the only positional screen that even concerns itself with displaying these ratings. So, I was thinking the o-lines familiarity with the QB style might have been a nod to a chemistry replacement.

But...as they are all veteran lineman that have (mostly) reached their potential and the variation in numbers isn't there (column header mismatches excused), FUTURE makes more sense.

(anyway, still can't get over how beautiful this edition of FOF looks.)

Last edited by Dutch : 10-31-2023 at 10:33 AM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote