Home

MLB The Show 22 Marketing

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 22 Marketing within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 03-21-2022, 01:33 PM   #1
Contributor

TheKnack's Arena

OVR: 6

I don't know about you guys, but this has been maybe the worst marketing campaign I have ever seen for one single MLB The Show game ever. Maybe I'm totally off-based and it's a personal feeling, but the legend reveals have been abysmal. There hasn't been a legend reveal trailer. The feature premiers have been absolutely pitiful with the exception of the slightly interesting new commentary team. The team hasn't been doing bits at IGN or Forbes this year for additional content...

I don't know, it just seems light. The marketing campaign and the new additions to 22 as a whole just seem awfully light. Can't remember another year where 13 days out I've felt less juiced by what I've seen. Still excited for the game because it's always a fantastic experience, but the SDS team has done next to nothing to add additional intrigue for me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-21-2022, 01:43 PM   #2
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: MLB The Show 22 Marketing

I got really excited for the release of '22 after the gameplay premiere and then the presentation/commentary premiere. Those two right there, sold me on ending my current franchise and starting over with '22.

I even found the franchise premiere to offer up improvements that moved the needle a tad further.

So yeah, I'm anticipating April 1st and the release of MLB '22. I'll roll with it for the next year and see if Y2Y saves return (I personally doubt it) for '23, and if not, I'll see what '23 has to offer and if its enough to start over yet again.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 03-21-2022, 01:53 PM   #3
MVP

LegendKillerOne's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
I got really excited for the release of '22 after the gameplay premiere and then the presentation/commentary premiere. Those two right there, sold me on ending my current franchise and starting over with '22.

I even found the franchise premiere to offer up improvements that moved the needle a tad further.

So yeah, I'm anticipating April 1st and the release of MLB '22. I'll roll with it for the next year and see if Y2Y saves return (I personally doubt it) for '23, and if not, I'll see what '23 has to offer and if its enough to start over yet again.
Same I have been very excited for it. I have been impressed
NHL: Philadelphia Flyers
NCAAFOOTBALL: Miami Hurricanes
NCAABASKETBALL: Duke Blue Devils
Old 03-21-2022, 02:28 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

I think marketing, or really community interaction, is down all across this industry. So many games these days simply don't have good communication between the devs, community managers, and the actual community which has led to confusion and frustration.

I think having their videos showing off changes is nice and is welcome. I do wish they had community managers around to answer questions regularly. Even the interview with the franchise dev and the YouTuber, emmitt or whatever, the dev didn't really give us anything concrete about the future. He constantly resorted to the "anything can change in an instance" line. I get it, they may not have every feature for the future outlined, but they should have a vision they can share with us and it often comes off like they don't.

Even when asked about MtO and Franchise mode. He touched on the foundational issues that Franchise mode has and MtO being built on a newer foundation. To me, I'd assume that means MtO will become Franchise mode and more in the future, but the answers to me didn't clear anything up about what the plans with both modes are.

If SDS communicated a bit better with us, which I think I marketing, then I think many frustrations would be quieted in the community. Myself, I'd instantly be okay if they came out and said franchise mode wouldn't be getting much besides logic changes for a few years as they build the new foundation in MtO from the ground up for the future. They have somewhat hinted at it, but we can't just assume it because that's a dangerous game to play.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

― Plato
Old 03-21-2022, 03:29 PM   #5
Contributor

TheKnack's Arena

Very interesting.

Yeah, I wanted to make sure I wasn't making another cliche "this game sucks" post, because I don't feel that way at all. I'm quite excited about the game. Always am. I just think purely from a marketing standpoint, SDS has failed to turn my anxiousness up into another gear like they've generally done in the past. Feels more like a vanilla crawl to April 1, rather than the "countdown" state that I usually feel this time of year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-21-2022, 05:04 PM   #6
MVP

LastActionHero's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKnack
Very interesting.

Yeah, I wanted to make sure I wasn't making another cliche "this game sucks" post, because I don't feel that way at all. I'm quite excited about the game. Always am. I just think purely from a marketing standpoint, SDS has failed to turn my anxiousness up into another gear like they've generally done in the past. Feels more like a vanilla crawl to April 1, rather than the "countdown" state that I usually feel this time of year.

Yeah same here, I love the fact that there is a new commentary team in the booth and they’ve really improved the presentation all over the board but the fact they haven’t changed anything graphical wise is a bummer for me. Having the PS5 power and only come with 60fps in 4k like they had last year is a bit of a letdown.
Old 03-21-2022, 05:46 PM   #7
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Marketing has been VERY understated this year (at least in the US). IDK, maybe they're hamming it up internationally....with the Switch and Shohei, it would make sense if that were the case. The whole slow reveal of "top ratings" on each team on their Twitter has been...strange.

The legend reveals have been beyond bland this year...

I totally get SDS' categorization of "Legend" as meaning a former player no longer active in the MLBPA. But it feels weird to see the words Legend and Kevin Youkilis (for example) in the same sentence. Maybe they're going to blow us away big time close to launch on this front; but a year after getting Pedro and Clemente, the current crop seems a bit meh.

I'm still excited about release because of the presentation/commentary updates and huge updates to the things in franchise mode I wanted the most.

But yeah....the marketing this cycle has been slow...
Old 03-21-2022, 09:28 PM   #8
Rookie

Holy Toledo's Arena

OVR: 0

I agree the marketing has been off this year.

We had to first sit through 4 separate 15 minute countdowns to see the cover athlete.

Then SDS put a line at the bottom of the initial release saying something like be sure to check FAQ for updates on y2y saves only to see it is not returning. Seems strange to direct everyone’s attention to a popular feature that is not returning.

Then they release the feature premiere schedule without franchise mode mentioned. Then it gets included the week before.

And there is the whole Randy Johnson is in the game then gets mysteriously removed with no explanation deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Last edited by Holy Toledo; 03-21-2022 at 09:33 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »