Home

What new ratings would you like to see this Madden generation?

This is a discussion on What new ratings would you like to see this Madden generation? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 07-11-2021, 02:55 PM   #1
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22
What new ratings would you like to see this Madden generation?

Madden typically debuts new attribute rating each console generation. Last gen saw the debut of new route running ratings, the ps3/x360 saw plenty of new attribute ratings for every position on the field from the throw accuracy ratings, man/zone for defenders, pass rush ratings, and ball carrier move ratings for runners.

Here's a few I would like to see added

Poise for Quarterbacks. For CPU and AI quarterbacks players with a lower poise rating would have bigger accuracy penalties for sacks and hits. Players with higher poise ratings would not see much if any drop in throw accuracy.

For runners a balance rating. A running back with a higher balance rating would be less likely to be tripped up by defenders on the ground or going for low tackles.

A snap rating for OLineman. Would give centers and especially long snappers more utility and would make having a good center a priority instead of just being able to turn any player into a center and get perfect snaps everytime.

A blitz pickup rating. I know awareness plays a factor but some running backs can have high awareness but not be very good with blitz pickups. Make 3rd down running backs more important especially as it relates to picking up blitzes on 3rd down as that's very often their role.

What are some you would like to see added?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2021, 03:25 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: What new ratings would you like to see this Madden generation?

I'd love to see a total revamp of the ratings, but that's a dream that will likely never become a reality.

I do like the ideas of the snap rating and blitz pickup ratings that you mentioned.

I know this may make the ratings on the QBs even more complex, but I wish the SAC, MAD, and DAC ratings were also rated based off of left, right, and middle thirds of the fields. Some QBs can make all of the throws they need to on their arm side of the field, but they are much worse throwing to the left side of the field.

I'd love to see this reflected in the game and have the game planning features also see gameplans that revolve around it. It would be nice to see the CPU recognize when their QB or your QB has a side they are stronger/weaker on and call plays to take advantage of that either way.

I'd like to see a rating purely for long snapping, not just a snap rating in general. Make long snappers a real position finally and make there be consequences to not having a long snapper making the long snaps.

― Plato
Old 07-11-2021, 04:44 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40

Their should be a IQ rating that effects a players awareness for situational football.

Clock management
Down and Distance
Sense of Urgency

I've never seen a RB or WR attempt to get out of bounds on their own because of clock management.

For Kickers EA has never provided more than 2 ratings that effect kicks (Power/Accuracy)

That should be expanded to include Accuracy ranges from 20, 40, 50+ since they have stats in the game that tracks those distances. I would also like to see a Under Pressure Kick Rating assigned to all kickers along with a weather effect rating.

In fact under player traits there isn't a single Trait that really IMPACTS a Kicker doing gameplay.

Why hasn't EA revisited this yet?

There's a long snapper position now which is great but for years they've never assigned a snap rating because they continue to push the excuse that Competitive Crowds won't like it.......

Message to EA allow that option to be turned ON or OFF by the USER instead of just simply ignoring it all together.

Long Snappers are IMPORTANT to every team but not your teams in Madden.

For Defenders I'd like to see a new rating added for QB Pressure ability and Force Turnover ability.

Yes you have Power Move/Finesse Move/Block Shed ratings but adding a QB Pressure rating to tie into those ratings would be awesome.

EA also needs to increase the Pursuit ratings across the boards for Offensive players because I don't think they even know that the low Pursuit ratings effects gameplay after turnovers. The reason why you see offensive players moving like snails after a turnover is because their Pursuit Ratings being so low doesn't allow them chase after players properly. That leads to an exaggerated amount of pick 6's and fumble return TD's.

Low Pursuit ratings also hurt Offensive Linemen when it comes to getting down field to make blocks. Most Madden players don't realize this because they assume only the blocking ratings IMPACT the OL. But the Pursuit Rating also effects the OL when the following the ball carrier down field. It allows them to keep moving to that next level to make blocks.

Special Teams needs either a complete overhaul done or more Ratings added.

How can you have after 20 years only one stinking rating for a Kick Returner or Punt Returner EA?

You call it Kick Return rating and leave it at that.......

I've posted a few videos of the CPU AI returning TD's on both Kick and Punt Returns but it wasn't because of their return Rating.

It was because I had to go in edit other ratings to make those Returners matter doing gameplay. You can't have a Kick/Punt Returner be effective with a Vision rating in the 60's or 70's.

For crying out loud EA the reason why guys like Devin Hester and Deion Sanders was effective wasn't just because of their speed. They had great vision as well.

Maybe you should change the Rating From Return rating to Return Awareness Ability Rating.

Also just giving a guy a HIGH IMPACT block rating doesn't really improve the special teams blocking if the guy doesn't even know how to locate a player to block.

On a side note not ratings related how come on Sundays I can see Aaron Rodgers catching defenders trying to get on or off the field doing a substitution yet in Madden there's no way of trying to replicate this because for starters you took away walk up's to the LOS.

Add some more immersion into the game and show players running on or off the field while being substituted isn't that apart of presentation on NFL Sundays when you watch games?

Follow some the Greatest College Football players of All Time in NCAA Football 14

Last edited by Playmakers; 07-11-2021 at 04:46 PM.
Old 07-11-2021, 06:57 PM   #4
AWFL Commish

Aestis's Arena

OVR: 0

You really don't need need a ton of ratings. They have most of what they need already for a 'next level' experience.

But what they lack is distinct positional & situational strengths. Just A Guy Abilities, in a way. Tone down the arcade/superstar-ness of them and treat them as situational.

E.g. MCV is 80 but they have a Slot Proficiency or Left Boundary 'ability' so playing outside their proficiency drops MCV (ratings drops here are better than boosts to playing in their strength for balancing reasons).

This is far more scalable, as an example, than adding separate ratings for slot/outside/left/right/etc.

A previous poster used kickers as an example where there's no distinction between shorter & longer kicks. Again, you really don't want to add 2-3 more ratings just for kickers here. Proficiencies (or whatever you wanna call them) is a much better way to do it and really just unlocks the Pandora's Box for how nuanced they can get.

Think of how this would change the game along the offensive line, guys who are more comfortable at LG than RG, etc. These are real things IRL. It would unlock a lot from a design perspective.

When EA announced superstar abilities, something like the above is what I was hoping it would evolve into. No luck so far. But truthfully the optimal/scalable answer to further player distinction is NOT to add a lot more ratings.

Commissioner
After Work Football League
(Xbox Series S/X)
AWFL Discord
AWFL Daddyleagues
Old 07-11-2021, 07:15 PM   #5

oneamongthefence's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers
Their should be a IQ rating that effects a players awareness for situational football.

Clock management
Down and Distance
Sense of Urgency

I've never seen a RB or WR attempt to get out of bounds on their own because of clock management.

For Kickers EA has never provided more than 2 ratings that effect kicks (Power/Accuracy)

That should be expanded to include Accuracy ranges from 20, 40, 50+ since they have stats in the game that tracks those distances. I would also like to see a Under Pressure Kick Rating assigned to all kickers along with a weather effect rating.

In fact under player traits there isn't a single Trait that really IMPACTS a Kicker doing gameplay.

Why hasn't EA revisited this yet?

There's a long snapper position now which is great but for years they've never assigned a snap rating because they continue to push the excuse that Competitive Crowds won't like it.......

Message to EA allow that option to be turned ON or OFF by the USER instead of just simply ignoring it all together.

Long Snappers are IMPORTANT to every team but not your teams in Madden.

For Defenders I'd like to see a new rating added for QB Pressure ability and Force Turnover ability.

Yes you have Power Move/Finesse Move/Block Shed ratings but adding a QB Pressure rating to tie into those ratings would be awesome.

EA also needs to increase the Pursuit ratings across the boards for Offensive players because I don't think they even know that the low Pursuit ratings effects gameplay after turnovers. The reason why you see offensive players moving like snails after a turnover is because their Pursuit Ratings being so low doesn't allow them chase after players properly. That leads to an exaggerated amount of pick 6's and fumble return TD's.

Low Pursuit ratings also hurt Offensive Linemen when it comes to getting down field to make blocks. Most Madden players don't realize this because they assume only the blocking ratings IMPACT the OL. But the Pursuit Rating also effects the OL when the following the ball carrier down field. It allows them to keep moving to that next level to make blocks.

Special Teams needs either a complete overhaul done or more Ratings added.

How can you have after 20 years only one stinking rating for a Kick Returner or Punt Returner EA?

You call it Kick Return rating and leave it at that.......

I've posted a few videos of the CPU AI returning TD's on both Kick and Punt Returns but it wasn't because of their return Rating.

It was because I had to go in edit other ratings to make those Returners matter doing gameplay. You can't have a Kick/Punt Returner be effective with a Vision rating in the 60's or 70's.

For crying out loud EA the reason why guys like Devin Hester and Deion Sanders was effective wasn't just because of their speed. They had great vision as well.

Maybe you should change the Rating From Return rating to Return Awareness Ability Rating.

Also just giving a guy a HIGH IMPACT block rating doesn't really improve the special teams blocking if the guy doesn't even know how to locate a player to block.

On a side note not ratings related how come on Sundays I can see Aaron Rodgers catching defenders trying to get on or off the field doing a substitution yet in Madden there's no way of trying to replicate this because for starters you took away walk up's to the LOS.

Add some more immersion into the game and show players running on or off the field while being substituted isn't that apart of presentation on NFL Sundays when you watch games?
I think at one point kick return ability was basically a modifier for blocking on kick returns and the chance of muffing a kick which is super rare in Madden anyway.

Situational awareness should totally be a rating. It's frustrating when you see the AI QB throw it away on 4th down or checking down on a 4th and long or throw it in the middle of the field in a hail mary situation and lose. Clock management should also be affected as well.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2021, 08:09 AM   #6
Rookie

DatsunDimer's Arena

OVR: 0

A Consistency rating to replace Awareness. I believe Awareness currently is just a modifier for the Overall rating mostly. I picture something that is more dynamic in application even when usering.

To me, one of the biggest differences between players are their abilities to be "on" week after week, play after play. A player with a low consistency rating would play to a wider range of individual positional attributes on a per play basis. Would you rather play an 70 overall, super consistent player or a 75 overall more boom-or-bust player with low consistency? WR are the best example I can think of, for instance, do you want the consistent hands with limited physical upside or the athletic freak who may drop 20% of his targets?

I know most will probably say that is why we have positional ratings currently, but I think those are just to simple. They go up for awhile and then go down. Like a lot of Madden features, it feels so predictable and linear most of the time. An average LT can have a career game against a Pro Bowl Edge Rusher and then give up multiple sacks the next week against a below average rusher. Usering a QB with low consistency would generate a wider range of accuracies on a per play basis.

This is where I envision development playing a larger role in the rating. The higher the development the higher the range will be on a sliding scale. Example of QB: 75 for all accuracies and consistency, a Normal trait would possibly allow accuracies to range from 80-60, but an X-Factor rating would allow 90-70. Lower consistency and lower development leads to a very wide and low range. Higher consistency and highest development could allow a narrow range with the current rating the lowest in the range (only positive variation).

You can even call the rating Focus/Concentration/Preparation/Rep and accomplish something similar. Would go to enhancing roster construction and could be implemented with scouting and head coach philosophies. This is obviously only for Sim Franchise people and would never be used in a competitive environment where the ratings would be static.
Old 07-12-2021, 10:02 AM   #7

oneamongthefence's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsunDimer
A Consistency rating to replace Awareness. I believe Awareness currently is just a modifier for the Overall rating mostly. I picture something that is more dynamic in application even when usering.

To me, one of the biggest differences between players are their abilities to be "on" week after week, play after play. A player with a low consistency rating would play to a wider range of individual positional attributes on a per play basis. Would you rather play an 70 overall, super consistent player or a 75 overall more boom-or-bust player with low consistency? WR are the best example I can think of, for instance, do you want the consistent hands with limited physical upside or the athletic freak who may drop 20% of his targets?

I know most will probably say that is why we have positional ratings currently, but I think those are just to simple. They go up for awhile and then go down. Like a lot of Madden features, it feels so predictable and linear most of the time. An average LT can have a career game against a Pro Bowl Edge Rusher and then give up multiple sacks the next week against a below average rusher. Usering a QB with low consistency would generate a wider range of accuracies on a per play basis.

This is where I envision development playing a larger role in the rating. The higher the development the higher the range will be on a sliding scale. Example of QB: 75 for all accuracies and consistency, a Normal trait would possibly allow accuracies to range from 80-60, but an X-Factor rating would allow 90-70. Lower consistency and lower development leads to a very wide and low range. Higher consistency and highest development could allow a narrow range with the current rating the lowest in the range (only positive variation).

You can even call the rating Focus/Concentration/Preparation/Rep and accomplish something similar. Would go to enhancing roster construction and could be implemented with scouting and head coach philosophies. This is obviously only for Sim Franchise people and would never be used in a competitive environment where the ratings would be static.
Consistency was in Madden 11 and 12 exactly as you described.

Old 07-12-2021, 10:08 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 5

I'd actually like fewer ratings.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »