Home

Attacking AI Defenders Downhill

This is a discussion on Attacking AI Defenders Downhill within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 07-25-2018, 07:53 AM   #1
72-10

MarkWilliam's Arena

OVR: 1
Attacking AI Defenders Downhill

I'll start with the fact that I'm purely an offline player. And that I play as OKC 95% of the time. This post may seem fairly self directed, hopefully others see the potential value in it also.

One thing that's been on my personal wish list for a while is seeing the AI guard certain guys (in this example, Russell Westbrook) a certain way.

A big part of (problem with) Russell Westbrook's game is his efficiency (or lack thereof). One could speculate that a big reason is because he takes a very inefficient shot in basketball a fair bit - mid/long range 2 point shots. Usually on pull ups.

A big reason, or the main reason this happens is because his drive/speed is so devastating that defenders drop off as soon as he starts to think about driving. A gap is created and the mid range J opens up - as a result, he takes it (more often than not).

For years I've been wishing this could be replicated in NBA 2K games and each year I find myself (slightly) disappointed it is not the case.

E.G; In NBA 2K18, I find the AI has a tendency to guard Russ tight almost all of the time. On a drive attempt I find the AI plants and wants to take a bump in the chest. Blowing by them then becomes the only logical option. As a result I see a few too many successful dunks per game and a shot chart that doesn't quite reflect that of his in a real NBA game.

There needs to be an ability to attack downhill without the aid of a screen.

Below is a brief video showing some instances of how guys drop back on him and he takes the pull up.

Seeing the defenders shuffling back in anticipation of the potential drive attempt is a big part of guarding guys whose tendency is to drive first. As a bi-product, the efficiencies or inefficiencies (statistically) would surface adding to the immersion of the game. This wouldn't just apply to Russell Westbrook, but to any players in the league who have a tendency to drive before shooting (Greek Freak, John Wall, Rondo, prime Rose, the entire Lakers squad ). Also, replicating these player's style of play would become far more achievable and (personally) very enjoyable.

Because this is essentially how I play NBA 2K games 95% of the time (offline as OKC), you can imagine the slight irk in not being able to replicate such a key aspect of their play style. I'd imagine this is fairly universal to other people who have a player with the same tendency balance on their preferred squad.

I guess one reason I'm posting this is with hope that it's seen/heard by enough people (or the right people) and eventually makes its way to a board room table for discussion prior to a release of an NBA 2K game one day.

Equally, does a defensive mechanic like this seem realistic/unrealistic? Does it seem like the sort of thing that could eventually be replicated in an NBA 2K game? Thoughts?

Sorry for the long post, hope to hear some thoughts on this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2018, 09:14 AM   #2
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: Attacking AI Defenders Downhill

This is what I liked about 2K16.

I just so happened to be looking through my old videos and saw this one yesterday..

https://streamable.com/obeba

Calderon (I think) is clearly respecting and anticipating Lowrys drive instead of pressing him

Sent from my SM-G955U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 07-25-2018, 07:51 PM   #3
72-10

MarkWilliam's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter

I just so happened to be looking through my old videos and saw this one yesterday..

Calderon (I think) is clearly respecting and anticipating Lowrys drive instead of pressing him

Yep, I found creating space was far more prevalent in previous 2Ks (2K16 being a good example). In their best instances, they required some right stick play (dancing with the ball so to speak) - as shown in your video.

This did add a fun element, but for me, I would really like to see it expand on this to downhill, straight line attacks into the lane. To use Russell Westbrook as an example again, having a player like him come at you at full speed from around the half court mark would cause most (if not all) defenders to back peddle - thus opening up the mid range pull up.

It is present in the screen and roll aspect of 2K18 (centres will drop back), you go around the screen and pull up. But I want to employ it when I get a big switch onto me - without using a screen. Or just generally speaking when a slower (most) defender is guarding me.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:27 PM   #4
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter

That was CPU on defense not a user?
Old 07-25-2018, 10:59 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 0

i hear u 100%, op. i could iso pinch mj in the very beginning of the first quarter (and the rest of the game), and the cpu will play me super tight 80-85% of the time. u don't force drives in the first quarter and sure don't play guys like westbrook and mj like u would kyle korver. sag off slashers and make em beat u with the jumpshot... would be amazing to see this from ace. unfortunately it's a bit late to bring this up for 2k19, but it's good simnation discussion regardless. the shuffle-back animation that the cpu had when u use a walk-up dribble i saw a lot in 17 and 16 as well i think, but it's rare to see it from the cpu defense in 18. u can dribble-walk and the cpu just stands there on top of the three point line, frozen. only option is a drive, ho hum!

sorry to put u on the spot czar, but would love to hear ur input on this. i thought this was the whole point of ace - to adjust, or at least be smart enough to sag off of someone like westbrook.

it would also be nice if pump fakes and especially jab steps were more effective out of the triple threat. the cpu smothering in 18 is ridic!

Last edited by jclazaris84; 07-25-2018 at 11:09 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2018, 11:28 PM   #6
72-10

MarkWilliam's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclazaris84
u can dribble-walk and the cpu just stands there on top of the three point line, frozen. only option is a drive, ho hum!
YES. 100000%.

I agree with your entire post, but this part really got me nodding in approval.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:44 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 0

It's a ai problem not a user problem cause I take alot of midrange against users. Most midrange come off quick cross and spot up

Sent from my SM-G920T using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 07-26-2018, 12:02 AM   #8
72-10

MarkWilliam's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetruth11
It's a ai problem not a user problem cause I take alot of midrange against users. Most midrange come off quick cross and spot up

Sent from my SM-G920T using Operation Sports mobile app
Agreed - hence the thread title. But it's what worries me equally.

Sometimes I feel the issues that are addressed each year are purely from a user vs user standpoint.

We have heard that 1 on 1 defense is improved this year, but from what I've heard, it's some new animations (and things of this nature) to offer some resistance to the blow by aspect.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »