Home

Directional Hitting - MLB The Show 18

This is a discussion on Directional Hitting - MLB The Show 18 within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 02-09-2018, 08:55 AM   #1
MVP

El_MaYiMbE's Arena

OVR: 10
Directional Hitting - MLB The Show 18

Although the stream was a little boring as some people mentioned, I believe we got to see a lot of the common problems with the series addressed:

1. Hitting
2. Catcher Urgency
3. Pitcher Urgency
4. Tagging
5. Not really mentioned, but graphics looked improved when compared to '17

Hitting to me has been the biggest problem with MLB The Show since I started playing the series back in 2012 or 2013. I have posted many times on OS how I feel like something is just "off" but I could never quite put my finger on it.

It seems like the devs have made a huge effort this year to both correct hitting and explain why you may or may not be getting the results you want on a consistent basis, which is great.

However, I feel like their explanation was concentrated solely on PCI placement and Zone Hitting. I have also talked extensively on OS as to why I prefer Directional Hitting, and how I feel it better emulates a hitter's natural reaction to hitting a baseball when compared to Zone.

So I am hoping either via OS or in one of their upcoming streams they discuss how the PCI placement is determined when using Directional Hitting. Directional Hitting basically positions the PCI in its optimal location (game's opinion) based on the direction you press the stick, but how does it determine if more of the center of the PCI should be on the ball (line drive) or if more of the top (pop-up) or bottom (grounder) should be on the ball?

Now that PCI is explained a little more, I can see how Zone Hitting puts the user more in control of the outcome, but I still feel like it is a mini-game within the game that does not really represent how you swing a bat in real life. So while I appreciate the demonstration, the added context, and even the level of control Zone brings to the game....Directional Hitting represents real life to me, but the way its implemented in the game still leaves me feeling like the "PCI" placement that the CPU is determining for you is a crap shoot.

Last edited by El_MaYiMbE; 02-09-2018 at 08:57 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2018, 10:36 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Directional Hitting - MLB The Show 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_MaYiMbE
Although the stream was a little boring as some people mentioned, I believe we got to see a lot of the common problems with the series addressed:

1. Hitting
2. Catcher Urgency
3. Pitcher Urgency
4. Tagging
5. Not really mentioned, but graphics looked improved when compared to '17

Hitting to me has been the biggest problem with MLB The Show since I started playing the series back in 2012 or 2013. I have posted many times on OS how I feel like something is just "off" but I could never quite put my finger on it.

It seems like the devs have made a huge effort this year to both correct hitting and explain why you may or may not be getting the results you want on a consistent basis, which is great.

However, I feel like their explanation was concentrated solely on PCI placement and Zone Hitting. I have also talked extensively on OS as to why I prefer Directional Hitting, and how I feel it better emulates a hitter's natural reaction to hitting a baseball when compared to Zone.

So I am hoping either via OS or in one of their upcoming streams they discuss how the PCI placement is determined when using Directional Hitting. Directional Hitting basically positions the PCI in its optimal location (game's opinion) based on the direction you press the stick, but how does it determine if more of the center of the PCI should be on the ball (line drive) or if more of the top (pop-up) or bottom (grounder) should be on the ball?

Now that PCI is explained a little more, I can see how Zone Hitting puts the user more in control of the outcome, but I still feel like it is a mini-game within the game that does not really represent how you swing a bat in real life. So while I appreciate the demonstration, the added context, and even the level of control Zone brings to the game....Directional Hitting represents real life to me, but the way its implemented in the game still leaves me feeling like the "PCI" placement that the CPU is determining for you is a crap shoot.
I am in the opposite camp. I have always felt zone hitting felt more like real baseball as I remember from my playing days. If I am sitting on a low fastball and the pitch comes in high it's going to more difficult to do what I want with the pitch. As a result when the computer paints the high outside corner I will have to take the pitch even if it is a strike. That is why with two strikes I have to be more neutral and reactionary to the pitch. I have played every game of about 2 and half seasons and my teams numbers are very realistic. I tried directional I didn't care for it at all. I felt like I had very little control in the pitcher batter dual. Just personal preference.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:44 AM   #3
MVP

El_MaYiMbE's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierbengal
I am in the opposite camp. I have always felt zone hitting felt more like real baseball as I remember from my playing days. If I am sitting on a low fastball and the pitch comes in high it's going to more difficult to do what I want with the pitch. As a result when the computer paints the high outside corner I will have to take the pitch even if it is a strike. That is why with two strikes I have to be more neutral and reactionary to the pitch. I have played every game of about 2 and half seasons and my teams numbers are very realistic. I tried directional I didn't care for it at all. I felt like I had very little control in the pitcher batter dual. Just personal preference.
I agree with your logic on how it feels when you are at the plate looking for a pitch but sometimes you aren't looking for a pitch. You are just seeing the ball and hitting the ball. In either case you literally do not aim your bat at the ball. Your natural instincts reacts and your hand-eye coordination puts your bat in right location. Looking in a certain location is better represented by "Guess Pitch" in The Show, not PCI location in my opinion.

Zone Hitting forces you to track and aim bat at the incoming pitch. The aiming part is too literal. So yes that is what you are doing, but in practice it is a lot more seamless than that in real life....and Directional Hitting captures that more accurately, but I do feel the results could be better.

Totally follow your logic though and agree it is preference and different approaches altogether.

Last edited by El_MaYiMbE; 02-09-2018 at 11:38 AM.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:12 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

Agreed.. I was a zone hitter for the last few years.. Late in this years cycle I switched to directional, and I'm loving it.. I like that you don't have to sit there and move a PCI. It's more dependent on ratings. Hopefully they go into detail a little bit in one of their upcoming streams, what has changed with Directional Hitting.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:01 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 9

IMO zone hitting is broken because the PCI locks the instant you begin your swing. When I'm hitting IRL, I begin my swing before I know exactly where the pitch will end up. I adjust my swing on the fly. Having to set the PCI before I even begin to swing makes it a Missile Command mini-game and not a representation of hitting a baseball.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-15-2018, 01:15 PM   #6
MVP

MetsFan16's Arena

OVR: 4

I never gave Zone hitting a shot before MLB16, because it seemed way too hard to control both the left stick and timing of things.

But in the middle of MLB16, I got so fed up with timing it perfectly with a stud at the plate and he pop it up. Just to look at the PCI and show it got under the ball through no fault of my own. ESPECIALLY during Online Play. I knew I’d never be competitive online with timing hitting.

It was time to start Zone hitting. Started on beginner mode just to get the feel of having to control the left stick. Then play random exhibition games on Rookie, then Veteran, All Star. Go back into my franchise with All Star Zone hitting.

It was like an entirely new game. It was more challenging, more rewarding and more fun! I wasn’t relying on ratings to determine the result. Though I understand why others here would prefer ratings matter more. I agree but at some point having the CPU control my PCI and frustrate the hell out of me was not worth it.

I have since bumped it up to Hall of Fame difficulty and am looking forward to this year

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 02-15-2018, 03:45 PM   #7
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

Does Directorial function the same as the old Timing mechanic? Meaning, if I don't want to move the L-stick at all and just press the swing button, the PCI will move based on my timing and player rating?
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Old 02-15-2018, 04:09 PM   #8
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
Does Directorial function the same as the old Timing mechanic? Meaning, if I don't want to move the L-stick at all and just press the swing button, the PCI will move based on my timing and player rating?
The quick, easy answer is yes, for the most part.

Check out my directional hitting guide for a full breakdown of directional hitting: https://forums.operationsports.com/f...ing-guide.html

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »