Home

How do you guys play Franchise?

This is a discussion on How do you guys play Franchise? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?
View Poll Results: How Do You Play Franchise
Play All Games Manually 37 72.55%
Mix and Match (If you do this can you post what you Sim and what you Play) 11 21.57%
Sim and only Sim 3 5.88%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-10-2017, 04:30 AM   #1
Rookie

reerdo's Arena

OVR: 0
Icon5 How do you guys play Franchise?

As I plan on having one long term Franchise this year instead of lots of 1 to 2 year one's I was interested to see how you guys play yours by using the poll attached and any snippets of advice you have from any long term Franchise's you have done before.

As I always lose money hand over fist in Owner mode and I want to save my Steelers RB player save for later in the year I will be going straight in on Coach mode with the Jets.

So the options I see are :

A) Play all games (which is what I have normally done hence I don't get many seasons in)
B) Mix and Match (Sim Regular Season and Play Post Season?)
C) Sim and only Sim
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2017, 05:18 AM   #2
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: How do you guys play Franchise?

Here are my accelerated CFM rules;

I'm not a play every down guy, I have kids, I have family, I have a job, I have side work. I cannot play every down and get through a season (I do play every down of slider test games, so everything I posted above is valid), so I came up with some rules to ensure I am ultimately responsible for my team's success or failure, but I can get through seasons quickly.

I love Play the Moments, but it doesn't identify quite enough situations as "moments" so I came up with a different way to use it.

I categorize games in 4 levels; 1.) Playoff games, 2.) Divisional games, 3.) Intraconference games, and 4.) Interconference games. Each uses it's own sim rules.

Overarching rules- Always play the 1st possession of each team in each half (2nd as well if it was a 3-and-out, the idea is YOU set the tone), and always play the finals 2-3 minutes of the first half (second half depends on how competitive the game is). Otherwise, follow the rules below.

1.) Playoff games

Play every down, period. Too important not to. Even if you're getting slaughtered, you want to experience that blank stare you see on players faces as their season is ending.

2.) Divisional games

< 14 pt difference- play every down.
14-21 pt difference - play "key" downs (see below)
22+ pt difference - Play the Moments

3.) Intraconference (non-divisional) games

< 10 pt difference - play every down
11-17 pt difference - Play key moments
18+ pt difference - Play the moments

4.) Interconference games

8-14 pt difference - play key moments
15+ pt difference - play key moments

What are "key moments?"

You sim 1 play at a time, and enter the game on all 3rd & 4th downs and red zone plays. Also jump in when you feel it's appropriate. For instance, I also play all 2nd and short and backed up plays and I define 25 going in as red zone, not 20.

With this system I'm able to knock out a full season in about a quarter the time it otherwise would, so I can actually make some progress in my CFM. Also, it makes you look at AWR of players, especially QBs, since it figures heavily into sim results.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.

Last edited by adembroski; 09-10-2017 at 05:21 AM.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:38 AM   #3
MVP

itsmb8's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski

I'm not a play every down guy, I have kids, I have family, I have a job, I have side work. I cannot play every down and get through a season (I do play every down of slider test games, so everything I posted above is valid), so I came up with some rules to ensure I am ultimately responsible for my team's success or failure, but I can get through seasons quickly.

I love Play the Moments, but it doesn't identify quite enough situations as "moments" so I came up with a different way to use it.

I categorize games in 4 levels; 1.) Playoff games, 2.) Divisional games, 3.) Intraconference games, and 4.) Interconference games. Each uses it's own sim rules.

Overarching rules- Always play the 1st possession of each team in each half (2nd as well if it was a 3-and-out, the idea is YOU set the tone), and always play the finals 2-3 minutes of the first half (second half depends on how competitive the game is). Otherwise, follow the rules below.

1.) Playoff games

Play every down, period. Too important not to. Even if you're getting slaughtered, you want to experience that blank stare you see on players faces as their season is ending.

2.) Divisional games

What are "key moments?"

You sim 1 play at a time, and enter the game on all 3rd & 4th downs and red zone plays. Also jump in when you feel it's appropriate. For instance, I also play all 2nd and short and backed up plays and I define 25 going in as red zone, not 20.

With this system I'm able to knock out a full season in about a quarter the time it otherwise would, so I can actually make some progress in my CFM. Also, it makes you look at AWR of players, especially QBs, since it figures heavily into sim results.
Im copying this post into my notes, so thanks.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:31 AM   #4
Rookie

reerdo's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski

1.) Playoff games

2.) Divisional games

What are "key moments?"

Wow thank you for that reply, that's everything I hoped for and more in terms of ideas to take away from this thread.

I'm also in the position where a family minimises available play time hence my desire to find a happy medium between play and SIM.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 09-10-2017, 08:28 AM   #5
MVP

I play week 4, 8,12 and 16, sim the rest. Play every other playoff game. I like the team building and management part of the game so i want a team that i enjoy playing with but its success is not overwhelmingly based on my game skills. I generally get through 20 or so seasons this way. I start losing interest after that because i will no longer see my rookies careers play out.

One draw back to this is that the sim engine is and has been busted in the playoffs for years. You will lose most simmed games in the playoffs regardless of talent. In fact i am in 2024 and have yet to win a simmed playoff game this year. I recently remembered that i started loading the game and simming it that way last year and it worked much better. I will be going back to that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2017, 01:15 PM   #6
MVP

Sheba2011's Arena

In my offline league, I play every game but I switch each game between "Play only offense" and "play only defense". Playoff games I play 100%.
Old 09-10-2017, 01:33 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Football is the only sport where I can play every game, so I do.

Usually I get about 5 seasons deep, but that is also after I typically get through 2 seasons in a prepatch test CFM.

Sometimes I may sim the first season of that second CFM.
Old 09-10-2017, 02:09 PM   #8
MVP

Bondsfan's Arena

OVR: 8

I play every game, but with play the moment. So each game is both played and simmed. Only game I play the entire game is the Super Bowl, if I get there.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »