Home

Kovalez-Ward 3 Days Away (11-19-16)

This is a discussion on Kovalez-Ward 3 Days Away (11-19-16) within the Boxing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 11-16-2016, 06:24 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36
Kovalez-Ward 3 Days Away (11-19-16)

Can Sergio pressure his way to a decision? Can Ward be knocked out? Is anyone getting this PPV fight?

I have been looking forward to this one for some time.

The main undercard features fast rising light-heavyweight Oleksandr Gvozdyk versus Isaac Chilemba, the guy who gave Kovalez problems in his last fight. Gvozdyk is trained by Robert Garcia, while Roy Jones works for Chilemba.

Nathan Cleverly, emboldened by his upset over Brähmer for the WBA title, wants a rematch with Sergio should he beat Ward.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-17-2016, 11:28 AM   #2
Pro

steelcityjames's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Kovalez-Ward 3 Days Away (11-19-16)

I like ward by decision. I think kovalev will tire out sometime near round 8 or 9. I expect it to be close up to that point but ward will pick him apart in the late rounds to secure the victory
Old 11-17-2016, 03:39 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
Biggest fight of the year on Saturday. I'm concerned about Ward's lack of ring-time over the past few years, and I just don't know if he's back to where he was (or if he ever will be). And he's fighting a complete monster. I will be rooting for Ward, but honestly I think Kovalev will win a decision with a possible knockdown thrown in.

Of course, having said that, Kovalev's inability to get a stoppage against an ancient B-Hop may be a preview of what he's going to face in a very experienced fighter like Ward.

Either way, they don't get along, so they gotta get it on!
No concerns about Ward's physical transition to 175 from 168, simply because he won an Olympic Gold Medal at 175 pounds years ago and is currently well proportioned for a light heavyweight. That being said, when asked about handling power he will often reference Edison Miranda, a strong puncher, but still a natural middleweight whose descent started when he was beat up by Kelly Pavlik a couple of years before Ward decisioned him at 168. Kovalez hits a lot harder then that guy. In a masterful performance against Carl Froch he faded a bit in the last two rounds. Since that fight five years ago he beat a weight drained declining Chad Dawson, and four other guys a couple of tiers below him. His inactivity and opposition over the last five years does not put him on a perfect trajectory to do battle with a fighter of Kovalez's caliber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
Of course, having said that, Kovalev's inability to get a stoppage against an ancient B-Hop may be a preview of what he's going to face in a very experienced fighter like Ward.
Hmmm...B-Hop did lose every round. Kovalez's technical skill combined with his power COULD be a tough problem for Ward.

Intangibles favoring Ward? He's a great fighter who is getting a lot of people to bet on him, and interviews I've seen with trainer John David Jackson show CLEAR concern-Virgil Hill is even questioning Sergio's discipline in following corner advice. This was partly brought up because GGG trainer Abel Sanchez let Kovalez go years ago because he strayed too much from the program, and apparently wasn't a joy to work with.

In other words I have NO idea who will win this fight, but it should be a great one.
Old 11-17-2016, 04:00 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 6

Ahhhh.. the beauty of close match up with so many variables and questions. Sit back and enjoy fellas. Straight pick em fight. I can see it going either way. I have my beer already for this one. The true winner will be boxing fans sat night hopefully. Cheers!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old 11-17-2016, 04:22 PM   #5
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54

I want to get this fight, but Wards inactivity will keep me from purchasing sadly. Does that make me a bad fight fan?

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-17-2016, 05:44 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by N51_rob
I want to get this fight, but Wards inactivity will keep me from purchasing sadly. Does that make me a bad fight fan?
You think Ward will get beat badly?
Old 11-17-2016, 06:00 PM   #7
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
You think Ward will get beat badly?
No I've got him winning and like him, just the lack of activity bothers me as a fan. I want to see him ply his trade, and haven't really been able too should I reward that with a PPV buy?

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:
Old 11-17-2016, 06:16 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by N51_rob
No I've got him winning and like him, just the lack of activity bothers me as a fan. I want to see him ply his trade, and haven't really been able too should I reward that with a PPV buy?
The reward factor is not a consideration for me, although Ward's performance in the Super Six should get him a lifetime exemption from having to earn a PPV fight. This is simply a great match-up and that's the only criteria I need for buying it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing »