Home

Talking Points - Go To The Ball!

This is a discussion on Talking Points - Go To The Ball! within the EA Sports FC and FIFA forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 01-09-2015, 04:38 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 8
Talking Points - Go To The Ball!

Does anyone have any suggestions / explanations for why it seems that my players do not have the same interest / initiative as the CPU players when it comes to going for a loose ball? I see this annoyance when I am on both offense and defense. It is becoming a point of significant frustration.

On defense ...

A common example would be a situation when the player I am controlling, let's say I am controlling a CDM, makes a "sort-of" tackle on the CPU player with the ball ... and the possession is lost when the ball rolls away in an arbitrary direction. The player that I am in control of, the CDM, is usually unable to track down the ball because the CPU attacker gets in my way (obstruction?). So I am relying on my teammates to "notice" that there is a loose ball available - and that they should go get it. Nope. Instead, a teammate from the CPU attacking team more frequently (definitely more than half the time ... despite the fact that this might be referred to as a "50/50" situation) retrieves the loose ball, and the CPU attack continues on, merely a slight interruption - not the change of possession that I could really use.

On offense ...

Let's say my CAM is looking to make an advancing pass forward to my ST. I make the pass in the direction of the goal that I am attacking ... my ST stands still and waits for the pass to reach him ... meanwhile the CPU CB runs toward the ball, past my ST, and intercepts the pass. Turnover. Why didn't my striker attempt to get the pass, or attempt to keep his body between the CPU CB and the ball?

Another example ... the attacking pass I make is off the mark (I am playing with PASS ERROR at 68 per the OS Community Sliders) ... that is OK, I am sure this happens occasionally ... the CPU defenders are always quicker to react to the errant pass than my offensive teammates ... again, this seems like a "50/50" situation, but I do not think that my teammates recover to adjust to the errant pass half of the time. I agree that I should not ALWAYS be able to recover from a mistake pass ... but the frequency with which my teammates go to the ball seems to be alarmingly low.

Any ideas? Thanks!

-----

FWIW ... I play all-manual, World Class, Slow, 15 minute half, "OS Community" sliders, tactical defending ... I would consider myself more of a "sim" player (rather than an "arcade" player) ... I only play offline career mode matches against the CPU.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-09-2015, 05:18 PM   #2
Banned

Hutton's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Talking Points - Go To The Ball!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpHSpH

On offense ...

Let's say my CAM is looking to make an advancing pass forward to my ST. I make the pass in the direction of the goal that I am attacking ... my ST stands still and waits for the pass to reach him ... meanwhile the CPU CB runs toward the ball, past my ST, and intercepts the pass. Turnover. Why didn't my striker attempt to get the pass, or attempt to keep his body between the CPU CB and the ball?
You make very valid points, all of which I completely agree with as being huge issues in the core game logic.

The amount of teammate ball watching I see is absurd, and my #1 pet peeve , and there's simply no way to avoid it. It doesn't matter whom your striker is, RVP, Suarez, Messi or some Football League 2 chump on Rushden & Diamonds....they all stand and ball watch like total idiots.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:19 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23

Super cancel at the right times fixes about 90% of these 50/50 balls.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:24 PM   #4
Pro

"Super cancel" = [ RT + LT ] ... yes?

How can I use this to solve my problem with my teammates?

Will it help on both offense and defense?

I would appreciate some more advice on this.

Thanks!
Old 01-09-2015, 07:28 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

Quote:
"Super cancel" = [ RT + LT ] ... yes?

How can I use this to solve my problem with my teammates?

Will it help on both offense and defense?

I would appreciate some more advice on this.

Thanks!
You have to switch ahead of time. So as soon as your player is performing the tackle - and you're sure it's going to be a loose ball - switch to the nearest player and super cancel into the ball's path, then determine what kind of control needs to be used...it could be a pass, clearance or even a hard slide tackle that usually allows you to maintain possession. Get stuck in on those ones
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-09-2015, 08:14 PM   #6
Pro

What is "super cancel into the ball's path"?

This is a way to take control of a teammate who can track down the ball?

And is there a way to use this to help me with my offensive troubles as well?

Thanks - I appreciate you help.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:59 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

Quote:
What is "super cancel into the ball's path"?

This is a way to take control of a teammate who can track down the ball?

And is there a way to use this to help me with my offensive troubles as well?

Thanks - I appreciate you help.
Yes, super cancel is not just to stop the "rails" of the intended path - it's actually to control the player freely when there is a 50/50 or even when defending. Instead of just pressing the super-cancel, you hold it down and move the player around. You can do this throughout the pitch if you'd like. It allows you to completely go off the programmed "rails" (although FIFA 15 doesn't have as many rails as previous iterations) and take control of a player completely.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:12 PM   #8
MVP

BL8001's Arena

OVR: 0

If you want to laugh out loud at the AI...

Drop the cpu accel slider to 10.

Now let the cpu have the ball and choose someone off the ball to play D and hold RB to get your cpu team mate to pressure.

Watch how they race over but then hop and stop and mantain about a 3-4 foot cushion from the ball and do a little dance but don't get stuck in.

They will even back up and keep dancing if the cpu choose to push forward with the ball.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA »