Home

Settings for more balanced offense/defense post 12/12/2014 patch

This is a discussion on Settings for more balanced offense/defense post 12/12/2014 patch within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 12-13-2014, 05:57 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 1
Settings for more balanced offense/defense post 12/12/2014 patch

×× UPDATED 12/20/2014 ××

If you have played the game post recent patch, you have probably realized that along with the good we unfortunately have to deal with a newly introduced problem in the form of too many missed but makeable shots from both user and cpu. There's basically no equilibrium as it relates to this issue. The same results hold true for even Dynasty mode where the cpu typically puts up a better challenge.

So, until they can hopefully correct this in a future patch or via tweaks, I explored several options in regards to the Global Coach Defensive Strategies and I finally found settings that achieve a fairly good balance. The bonus is that the game actually flows ALOT smoother with these setting (no more annoying player tick or twitch and game flow interrupting hiccups). Also, this opens up the mid range and long range game while maintaining respectable defense and fg%.

×××××× I have now added a second option in order to better cater to the masses! FYI, only apply these settings to 2 teams of your choice and test for results before applying to all teams. The changes must be made from the intro screen. Team management> Coach Options> Defense.

OPTION 1: This option allows for a more free flowing game where shots are easier to achieve for both user and cpu but with respectable all around defense. Post defense is ok.

On Ball Pressure> Auto, Off Ball Pressure> Normal.

OPTION 2: This option is more open compared to default settings but tighter than option 1. Post defense is good. There is still a reasonable balance to the game with these settings.

On Ball Pressure> Normal, Off Ball Pressure> Auto

You should set Force Direction> Normal and In Post> Behind. You should also set the Tempo option within the Offense section of the Coach Options to "Push" for a good challenge from the cpu.

Also make sure to use Ratings Plus Skill for your Shooting setting in order to achieve more realistic results. The games I have played with these settings have yielded some realistic results. Fg% in the low to higher 40% range. Defense is still responsive and effective for both user and cpu. With enough space both sides WILL makes shots that should be made. Good news is that it's still a challenge for the user to score. Lost a game and this hasn't occured in a long time! ( although I was still in testing mode and not necessarily 100% dialed in).

Give these settings a try if you wish and report your results for the community!

Last edited by Calvenn; 12-21-2014 at 04:40 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-14-2014, 05:24 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Settings for more balanced offense/defense post 12/12/2014 patch

Hey Man U on Xbox 1. Seems like we have similar play style. I'm almost 40 full time job and medical school. I play sports game for what they are FUN. This game is a gem to me basketball wise. I see some bugs but a lot of the complaints are not legit imo b/c I know the x and o's of the game of basketball. Also the sport has changed since my generation and I feel Live and 2k represent the new age basketball. In summary I think a lot of ppl want the defense to be Bad Boy Pistons era Defense when no current teams even closely resemble "good" defense let alone that style. The leauge is run and gun so why wouldn't Live represent that style in 2015. Either way I love this game and would love to play some of you guys like WTF Nick Sr. and yourself sometimes. Good day my friend. Hit me up and I'll shoot you guys my GT.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:52 PM   #3
Pro

Hey jnb5001 good to hear from you! I am in total agreement of your assessment of the game and some of the unrealistic expectations from others. I would welcome playing some games unfortunately I'm on a Ps4. Perhaps the others are using the Xb1. Btw, do you normally post at the NLSC? Your name appears familiar! Later.
Old 12-14-2014, 11:06 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 0

I tried on ball tight and it means you can back down and score way too easly in the post.

I posted up LeBron using Melo and almost every time LeBron slipped off me and I could lay it up.

I.e. All set to tight ruins the post game.

You may be better off switching controllers and just manually setting defense for each player.

You can't do that in dynasty though, unfortunately.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:57 AM   #5
Pro

Yes, I'm beginning to notice the post problem as well with the settings. On ball normal and off ball normal plays a good game as well except for the post game. On ball normal and off ball auto appears to play well also but with better post game can you or others confirm? As mentioned this is a stop gap measure. They simply need to tweak it more because I do like the post defense and overall defense at default settings post patch. Thanks for your feedback and input/ideas, I'm sure the community appreciates it.

Last edited by Calvenn; 12-15-2014 at 01:20 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-15-2014, 09:46 PM   #6
Pro

I have updated the defensive settings. The newer setting after further testing allow for better post and overall defense while maintaining a fair mid and long range game especially for the cpu. With these settings stars really stand out. Harden will take and make a fair amount of mid range, long range and inside drive shots ( depending on your defense off course but will make makeable shots). This has made the game more challenging IMO since you have to find ways to keep these players from going off. Give it a shot.

Last edited by Calvenn; 12-15-2014 at 09:57 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:04 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0

What are your full settings please? I have been using Tomba's settings: http://www.operationsports.com/Tomba...-game-setting/ with some really good results but these were pre update so am curious to try your settings post update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvenn
If you have played the game post recent patch, you have probably realized that along with the good we unfortunately have to deal with a newly introduced problem in the form of too many missed but makeable shots from both user and cpu. There's basically no equilibrium as it relates to this issue. The same results hold true for even Dynasty mode where the cpu typically puts up a better challenge.

So, until they can hopefully correct this in a future patch or via tweaks, I explored several options in regards to global coach option defensive strategies and I finally found a setting that achieves a fairly good balance. The bonus is that the game actually flows ALOT smoother with these setting (no more annoying player tick or twitch and game flow interrupting hiccups). Also, this opens up the mid range and long range game while maintaining respectable defense and fg%.

FYI, only apply these settings to 2 teams of your choice and test for results before applying to all teams. The changes must be made from the intro screen. Team management> Coach Options> Defense. On Ball Pressure> Normal, Off Ball Pressure> Auto. These are the main adjustments.

You may leave Force Direction> Normal and In Post> Behind. You may also want to set the Tempo option within the Offense section of the Coach Options to "Push" for a good challenge from the cpu.

Also make sure to use Ratings Plus Skill for your Shooting setting in order to achieve more realistic results. The games I have played with these settings have yielded some realistic results. Fg% in the low to higher 40% range. Defense is still responsive and effective for both user and cpu. With enough space both sides WILL makes shots that should be made. Good news is that it's still a challenge for the user to score. Lost a game and this hasn't occured in a long time! ( although I was still in testing mode and not necessarily 100% dialed in).

Give these settings a try if you wish and report your results for the community!
Old 12-16-2014, 11:22 AM   #8
So Real!!

ckarlic's Arena

OVR: 26

I have been using Tomba's settings for my dynasty and would like to try to change some coach settings. Is there not a way to do this while in Dynasty?
New Youtube Gaming Channel -- SpicyChicharron
Follow me on Twitter

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »