Home

From Falcon to Phoenix: A Jeff Roman Dysnasty

This is a discussion on From Falcon to Phoenix: A Jeff Roman Dysnasty within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 01-23-2013, 04:40 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
From Falcon to Phoenix: A Jeff Roman Dysnasty

Arizona State University Offensive Coordinator Jeff Roman had a press conference today announcing his decisionon ending his college football career.

"I've grown to love these guys," he said. "But I feel to truly expand my career I must take a step forward into professional football, and the offer I have been given is one I would be foolish to ignore."

Jeff Roman has been a member of ASU athletics for 15 years. Beginning as an offensive line assistant coach, he has risen up the ranks to assistant head coach and offensive coordinator. He was the only member of this original staff to still be a part of ASU. By implementing speed and power compliments with mobility on the outside and strength up the middle, his offense always was atop the ranks during his era. He usually succeeded best when using speedy receivers and a mobile quarterback. It wouldn't be much different than most systems despite the fact that when it comes to the running game, it's all downhill power running. He has thrived with plus size backs and lineman who can knock defenders over rather than ones with good footwork. Despite a crushing loss in the Holiday Bowl, Roman had been offered a position as head coach of the Atlanta Falcons.

"Expect to see changes," he told reporters. "I will revolutionize the professional game of football one play at a time. A Super Bowl For Atlanta in four years. That's a promise."

My name is Tyler Miller, and I was an athletic assistant for the Arizona State football team. Jeff Roman and I had built up a relationship my last years there, and he has asked me to come with him to Atlanta and be his assistant, an offer I just cannot refuse. I will be telling his story from the field to to the film room and everywhere in between.

Once I get settled in he and I are going to talk over his plan here for the Falcons and what he plans on achieving. And more importantly, how.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-23-2013, 05:36 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: From Falcon to Phoenix: A Jeff Roman Dysnasty

Were I in Coach Roman's shoes, with his focus on mobile QBs and power running, I'd have a hard time not going after run DMC with the falcon's high 1st round pick, and then picking up Josh Johnson later. Maybe bump Johnson to 2nd string next year depending on which draft class comes up, or build your 4 year plan around him and suffer through the early season growing pains.

I've always enjoyed Falcons franchises. Once you clean out the garbage they have a ton of cap room to play with, and they have some of the best looking uniforms in football.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:00 PM   #3
Rookie

Day One in the Office

With the coaching staff all together for the first of many times, Coach Roman wrote on the whiteboard what he will be looking for in his schemes and explains why:

QB: Mobility/Speed.
We need someone with legs, someone who can use this system. Someone Vick-esque. Atlanta has gotten used to watching a magic happen behind the pocket, and in my system we are going to need a quarterback that will be useful in every way getting us to the endzone as many times as we can each game

HB: Power.
I run a 3 back set, rotating them frequently. It spreads to about 60-25-15. The first back will be one that we run straight down the middle with, making plays with pure strength, as will the one 3rd on the depth chart. For situational purposes, however, I want a guy who can catch. Who can get down field. That if we need that break away, we can use him

FB: -
We will not have a fullback. We will fill this position with another running back or TE depending on the situation

WR: Quick Route Runner.
We need speed, but we need players that can use that speed. I want SEC players when we draft. Our formations vary from using just one receiver to using 5. We need depth to the sixth man if we plan on having any chance against pro defenses

TE: Balanced.
We will utilize TE's depending on the talent we pick up. They may fill the H-Back role, but this position is secondary. We will, however, use the talents to their best of whoever we acquire.

T: Pass Block
G: Run Block
C: Run Block
Our outsides need to be protected if we plan on having a mobile quarterback, but running up the middle is the true foundation of this team. We need big guys. I want to be able to gloat that we have the best offensive line in professional football.

DT: Versatile/3-4
DE: Versatile/3-4
We run a 3-4, and it's the guys up front that get it done for the linebackers.

OLB: PassRusher/3-4 Blitzer
I plan for the outsiders to thrive in the sack department. I want to be feared as the Steelers when they come here to play

MLB: Balanced.
The guys in the middle do it all: blitz, cover, tackle, and lead. I just want the best we can get

CB: Man Coverage/Ballhawk
It's easy to find players who can sit in zones, but the ones who can stick with a man and make plays are hard to find. We need our outsides thriving with players that will make plays and make it harder for the other team to score. Turnovers win games.

FS: Centerfielder
The FS will be our last line of defense. He'll sit back a lot to assist our corners

SS: Balanced
The captain of the backfield, he'll do a lot of coverage with run support mixed in. Again, we just need to best we can get here

K: Accuracy
P: Distance

Input: Skarecrow, I like those ideas. I have nevr played with McFadden if only for the reason I felt that it might be too easy. He seems to always win rookie of the year and rack up stats like nothing. And Johnson definitely is the ideal mobile qb in the game without Vick, but I feel like that's who everyone uses. I kind of want to do something a little different, but the options arent there and to put trust into the upcoming draft classes, idk how safe that is.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:19 PM   #4
Rookie

The Four Year Plan

I will always follow one rule: I WILL NOT start rookies week 1. I will slowly integrate them as I see fit, but the players must prove to me they are worthy of being a starter. I will put a 15 year veteran above our first round pick if he deserves it after the season has begun.

Year 1: Depth and Positioning

We are not going to have the ideal team the first year. We have to make due with what we can, but also prepare for the future. I want to get players that I know will help this franchise. I also want to make the moves that will greater our chance of success in the future. Trades are to be expected. With the talent on the team, depending on free agency and the draft I expect only 5 wins this first season. W's aren't the focus. It's figuring out who on the team will deserve a ring under me.

Year 2: Implementing
This is when we're really going to start using the potential of my playbook. This is when we start to show our potential. After acquiring more of the pieces to this puzzle, we're going to make an impact. 8 wins minimum. As players progress, it'll only get easier.

Year 3: Repetition
The players I have picked up my first two years here know the system. They know how to excel in it, they know how to win. This third year the team will be completely overhauled from what I walked in with. It will be my team. If we don't win the Lombardi this year...

Year 4: Domination
We will this year.

I will keep players who do well. As many will sign 3-4 year contracts, they'll get that trophy. If after the fourth year I don't win the big game, I will leave and start fresh somewhere else.

I want players and staff who will buy in. There are going to be struggles. We will be the first to ever find success in this offensive scheme, so we will have doubters. If those doubters are on our team, they'll be cut. We don't need internal struggles.

There will be a ring on all of our fingers in four years if we do this right. Find the right players and use their strengths.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:25 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 26

It's not too hard to pick up McFadden after the 1st year in trade. If I draft Johnson, I always start him every game. You will need to occasionally sub him out from fatigue, so pick up a 2nd QB as well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-23-2013, 08:54 PM   #6
Rookie

Potential Draft Prospects

QB: Dennis Dixon, Oregon

Coach Roman saw a lot of Dixon in the Pac 10. Especially in ASU's last game playing Oregon, in which Dixon scored 4 touchdowns on them. He also witnessed in that game, however, Dixon's knee injury that has had scouts question him. Being the top mobile prospect, however, Roman might have to take that chance with him

Josh Johnson, SDSU

He has potential, but he comes from a very small school. Very unlikely he will get any playing time his first year if he's picked up. Back up role, with development may become starter

Alex Brink, WSU

Another Pac 10 QB, Brink isn't nearly as mobile as the other two, but if needed he could be used. His potential as a back up is nice, and his learning and accuracy could serve well while waiting for a more mobile QB to be available through the draft or FA

RB:
Mike Hart, Michigan

He has enough power to go through the lines and is safe with good hands and ball security. Will take time to progress, but will serve well as a #2 powerback. Would be a good late pick up

WR:
Desean Jackson, Cal

Speed and skill. He is the prototype receiver for this team. We will do everything we can to get him. After watching him tear up the Pac 10, Roman doesn't plan on him being on someone else's team if he has a say in it

RE: Calais Campbell, Miami

A physical monster. Insane height, insane motor, will be a steal if acquired

These are some of the players we will be looking at during the draft. Obviously very heavy on offense and especially quarterback. As we scout more through the off season, more prospects will be posted as they make interest
Old 01-23-2013, 09:20 PM   #7
Rookie

New Faces in Atlanta

Positions of dire need were addressed the most. Temporary fixes for some places such as the offensive line and secondary. The Offensive line is still below satisfactory, but will hold this year. With these pick ups, though, was a reunification with an ASU legend

T Jordan Gross 92, 5 yr
T Flozell Adams 87, 1 yr
G Ruben Brown 85, 1 yr
OLB Terrell Suggs 90, 3 yr
OLB Karlos Dansby 85 3 4 yr
FS Ken Hamlin 87, 4 yr
CB Ty Law 83, 1 yr
HB Michael Turner 83, 4 yr

Dansby and Suggs will be a force to reckon with. Their versatility will be the backbone of this defense, with Hamlin coming in as the solid FS the team needs behind the great lack of CB depth that will be on this team year one.

Law, Adams and Brown likely will not start the entire season. They are all at the end of their years and are here merely to be replaced. Gross, however, is going to be a stud tackle that will be the beginning of the best O-line in football

Michael Turner from San Diego is a fresh back about to shine. HE has experience but isn't beaten up. But the best thing about him is his raw power. He knocks guys over. He will be our starting back this year
Old 01-23-2013, 09:27 PM   #8
Rookie

Norwood Out

HB Jerious Norwood is a talented player. But he would likely end up 4th on the depth chart here in Atlanta, and Coach Roman believes he has potential elsewhere, so he made a few calls.

The trade with the Oakland Raiders gave Atlanta a 2009 4th and 5th pick. It's trades like this that are essential for this first year. Depth and Positioning. These two draft picks could be very useful in the long run

Later in the afternoon another call was made. WR Laurent Robinson was moved to the Buffalo Bills for a 2008 5th round pick.

The following week MLB Keith Brooking was traded to KC for 2008 2nd and 7th round picks

Last edited by r3df0x102; 01-23-2013 at 09:34 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »