Home

Unearned Runs Bug

This is a discussion on Unearned Runs Bug within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 05-19-2024, 02:17 AM   #1
Rookie

Noiziv's Arena

OVR: 0
Unearned Runs Bug

Earned runs are being calculated unfairly. After thinking something was strange in one of my game a few days ago, after a game I just finished tonight I’m now certain unearned runs are not being counted.

I had two outs with a runner on third when I struck out a batter with a curveball in the dirt. My catcher made a lousy throw and the batter reached first base. The next hitter got a single to score the runner from third, and the next guy after that hit a ball in the gap for a double. All told, two runs scored off of me after the would-be 3rd out that resulted in an error (which was correctly counted in the boxscore), and both counted as earned runs.

Has anyone else seen something similar? Google search results show that this was happening in previous years but was just a glitch on the in-game boxscore and didn’t actually count once you got back to the franchise menu. I vaguely remember that happening to me in the past as well. However, for this year’s game, these runs still show as earned and my pitcher’s ERA increased drastically since it was only his 4th appearance out of the bullpen.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-19-2024, 07:39 AM   #2
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: Unearned Runs Bug

I believe the scoring is correct in that situation.

The pitcher threw a ball in the dirt which is deemed a wild pitch, and that is what set the process in motion. The error by the catcher is subsequent. If the pitcher doesn't throw a wild pitch then the following events wouldn't have taken place, therefore the run(s) should be earned because its the fault/error of the pitcher.

Its viewed no differently than if a batter singles up the middle and the centerfielder boots the ball thus allowing the batter to take an extra base.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 05-19-2024, 05:21 PM   #3
Pro

IndianSummer's Arena

(a) The Official Scorer shall charge an earned run against a pitcher every time a runner reaches home base by the aid of safe hits, sacrifice bunts, a sacrifice fly, stolen bases, putouts, fielder’s choices, bases on balls, hit batters, balks or wild pitches (including a wild pitch on third strike that permits a batter to reach first base) before fielding chances have been offered to put out the offensive team. For the purpose of this rule, a defensive interference penalty shall be construed as a fielding chance. A wild pitch is solely the pitcher’s fault and shall contribute to an earned run just as a base on balls or a balk.
Copied and pasted. Rule 9.16

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Last edited by IndianSummer; 05-19-2024 at 05:24 PM.
Old 05-19-2024, 07:33 PM   #4
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noiziv
Earned runs are being calculated unfairly. After thinking something was strange in one of my game a few days ago, after a game I just finished tonight I’m now certain unearned runs are not being counted.

I had two outs with a runner on third when I struck out a batter with a curveball in the dirt. My catcher made a lousy throw and the batter reached first base. The next hitter got a single to score the runner from third, and the next guy after that hit a ball in the gap for a double. All told, two runs scored off of me after the would-be 3rd out that resulted in an error (which was correctly counted in the boxscore), and both counted as earned runs.

Has anyone else seen something similar? Google search results show that this was happening in previous years but was just a glitch on the in-game boxscore and didn’t actually count once you got back to the franchise menu. I vaguely remember that happening to me in the past as well. However, for this year’s game, these runs still show as earned and my pitcher’s ERA increased drastically since it was only his 4th appearance out of the bullpen.
Earned Runs and Errors have been wonky in this game for years. That said, in this particular case, the ER ruling was right, it's the error that was wrong. The catcher can't get an error there, because it's considered a Wild Pitch. The only way the catcher could get an error there would be if the runner advanced to 2B or the runner on 3B scored after the wild throw.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Old 05-20-2024, 12:15 PM   #5
Rookie

Noiziv's Arena

Thank you all for your help with this one! I haven’t thought of it that way, but it makes sense. I’m actually now surprised that the game would understand that logic when determining earned runs. My catcher was charged with an error on the throw, but the pitcher still charged for the runs.

As a former college pitcher myself, it’s kind of unfair to think making a good pitch in the dirt to get the batter to chase could still net you earned runs if the ball gets thrown away.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-20-2024, 01:03 PM   #6
Pro

IndianSummer's Arena

Quote:

As a former college pitcher myself, it’s kind of unfair to think making a good pitch in the dirt to get the batter to chase could still net you earned runs if the ball gets thrown away.
I pitched as well and got to tinkering with a grip change and arm slot position working on a pitch that had a good sink to it. I ran into the same thing, if it’s in the dirt it is considered a WP. It becomes an earned run.

If it doesn’t hit the dirt and gets away from the catcher it’s considered a PB. It becomes unearned.
Old 05-22-2024, 03:33 PM   #7
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Thank you all for your help with this one! I haven’t thought of it that way, but it makes sense. I’m actually now surprised that the game would understand that logic when determining earned runs. My catcher was charged with an error on the throw, but the pitcher still charged for the runs.

That's the way it's always been; if the ball is in the dirt, fault is assigned to the one that threw it there, not the one trying to catch it. Like how if the 1B doesn't cleanly field a low throw, the error is on the one who threw it there. If a runner advances or scores on a ball in the dirt, it's a wild pitch rather than a passed ball.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Old 05-23-2024, 09:26 AM   #8
MVP

bryanm1982's Arena

I just had a situation last night where I threw a wild pitch for strike 3. It went all the way to the backstop so the batter was safe at 1st. The next batter hit a double scoring the runner from first. My pitcher was charged with an unearned run.

https://twitch.tv/bryanm1982

Braves Franchise

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »