Home

Pitching Clock Rules

This is a discussion on Pitching Clock Rules within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 04-08-2024, 12:45 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
Pitching Clock Rules

Has anyone tested out the new pitching clock rules? They don't seem to be working. CPU pitcher threw over to first base 2 times with no batter change. The third time I was picked off and should have been allowed to go to second base.

Or did SDS just implement the pitch clock visuals but not the rules?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-08-2024, 12:51 AM   #2
Rookie

The Gamer's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Pitching Clock Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by jada855
Has anyone tested out the new pitching clock rules? They don't seem to be working. CPU pitcher threw over to first base 2 times with no batter change. The third time I was picked off and should have been allowed to go to second base.

Isnt the rule that if you throw over you have to pick them off on the third attempt? I hate those rules so I don't know for sure

Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

SecondACR Vet

Follow me on Twitch

https://www.twitch.tv/bhoward1968

Follow me on X

BradHowardSr
Old 04-08-2024, 01:06 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gamer
Isnt the rule that if you throw over you have to pick them off on the third attempt? I hate those rules so I don't know for sure

Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk
Yup. If they're able to return to the occupied base after the 3rd disengagement it's a balk.

As for how it's applied in the game....obviously the user can get hit by the rule if they throw over too many times, but so far I'm not sure if the CPU can or not. This is because I've only seen it disengage and throw over once per at-bat under normal leadoff conditions. If the user takes a 2 extra step lead it will throw over a second time and, unless the throw is wild, it will pick you off. I've only seen a wild throw happen in this situation one time, and while I wasn't really thinking about it at the time, this is the only way the door is open for the CPU to attempt throwing over for a third time and test the rule. It would have to make a second wild pickoff throw to actually get called for the balk - or maybe it wouldn't even try and just let you get as big a lead as you wanted.

I don't feel like knowing that necessarily unbalances the game since slide steps and pitchouts exist and can be very effective at nailing runners, but since the CPU doesn't throw over more than once normally I'm house-ruling myself to do the same. And I don't do two-extra-step leads when I'm playing seriously, since the CPU doesn't either.

Last edited by bcruise; 04-08-2024 at 01:17 AM.
Old 04-08-2024, 02:12 AM   #4
Rookie

Quote:

That is the rule though. If you weren’t picked off on the 3rd try, then you’d take 2nd base. But if you got picked off then it’s working correctly.
Old 04-08-2024, 02:16 AM   #5
Pro

Okay maybe J miss understood what is on the MLB site.

“ Pitchers are limited to two disengagements (pickoff attempts or step-offs) per plate appearance. However, this limit is reset if a runner or runners advance during the plate appearance.”
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-08-2024, 05:03 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Okay maybe J miss understood what is on the MLB site.

“ Pitchers are limited to two disengagements (pickoff attempts or step-offs) per plate appearance. However, this limit is reset if a runner or runners advance during the plate appearance.”
No worries, you missed the part right under that:

“If a third pickoff attempt is made, the runner automatically advances one base if the pickoff attempt is not successful.”
Old 04-09-2024, 09:00 PM   #7
MVP

bryanm1982's Arena

I thought I would like the pitch clock rule. I thought maybe I would run into it trying to decide on a pitch. But it is only when I get distracted by something outside of the game. And I wouldn’t want to sit and wait 15-20 seconds for the cpu pitcher to throw me a pitch. Games would take forever.

If it takes a real life game 2 hours to play a game and takes us 1 hour to play a game, it should be about a 10 second clock in the game.

https://twitch.tv/bryanm1982

Braves Franchise

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Old 04-10-2024, 02:13 AM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanm1982
I thought I would like the pitch clock rule. I thought maybe I would run into it trying to decide on a pitch. But it is only when I get distracted by something outside of the game. And I wouldn’t want to sit and wait 15-20 seconds for the cpu pitcher to throw me a pitch. Games would take forever.

If it takes a real life game 2 hours to play a game and takes us 1 hour to play a game, it should be about a 10 second clock in the game.
This is why a lot of us said it would be useless. The CPU always pitches before the clock gets to 9 seconds and user pitching is always fast. Also the main part of the actual rule is the engagement of the hitter, but the hitters are always engaged. So it was always only going to be for aesthetic purposes.

The only way they can have it mean anything is to have accelerated clock like in Madden. But even then, most people work quick so it doesn’t really add much from a gameplay feature.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »