Home

Pitching and hitting strategy

This is a discussion on Pitching and hitting strategy within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 03-21-2024, 02:50 PM   #1
Rookie

Bgrd1080's Arena

OVR: 1
Pitching and hitting strategy

Curious how people approach it. If there's something I can do to change my approach and improve in the game. Most of my.games are pretty low scoring. I can pitch but my hitting awful
So what about you guys? How do you play? Do you stick to the strike zone or majority of your pitches out of the zone? Does the CPU chase enough? I'm always worried about my pitch count.
How do you hit? Do you sit on a zone, a pitch type? Just let it fly and chase the the pitch?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-21-2024, 03:07 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Pitching and hitting strategy

My approach to hitting is to look for a certain location and then as soon as the pitcher releases the ball I swung no matter how bad the pitch it. After two strikes I settle down and stare at strike three right down the middle
Old 03-21-2024, 05:35 PM   #3
Rookie

Seancefc's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgrd1080
Curious how people approach it. If there's something I can do to change my approach and improve in the game. Most of my.games are pretty low scoring. I can pitch but my hitting awful
So what about you guys? How do you play? Do you stick to the strike zone or majority of your pitches out of the zone? Does the CPU chase enough? I'm always worried about my pitch count.
How do you hit? Do you sit on a zone, a pitch type? Just let it fly and chase the the pitch?
Fundamentals, discipline, know your hitters, take note of pitch selection on certain counts.

First time round the batting order I’m taking the first pitch all the way, just sets up discipline for the game. Work the counts- in a hitters count focus on a single area in the strike zone and if it’s not going there, take it.

Early innings your goal should be to get the pitch count up.

Swinging at everything won’t lead to anything good.

Assuming you’re offline- raise the contact and timing sliders to build up confidence. Lower the CPU strike slider to 1/2, will help you get into favourable counts.
Old 03-21-2024, 06:18 PM   #4
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyes the roof
My approach to hitting is to look for a certain location and then as soon as the pitcher releases the ball I swung no matter how bad the pitch it. After two strikes I settle down and stare at strike three right down the middle

Essentially I deploy the same strategy. Super effective. 🤣🤣

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 03-21-2024, 06:38 PM   #5
Rookie

Pitching I pretty much exclusively go up and in or down and away. I mix up pitch variety pretty well. if it's 1-2 or 0-2 I will generally waste a pitch out of the zone but other than that I stay at least close to the zone. One thing I have always done is 3-2 I usually go offspeed/breaking ball. I don't throw a ton of fastballs 3-2. For some reason I feel like they get hit a ton on 3-2.

Batting I use normal swing for everything until I get 2 strikes then depending on the hitter and situation I may use contact swing. I look for hanging breaking pitches early in counts but other than that it's just see ball, hit ball.

With that said, if you just threw me fastballs up out of the zone and change ups below the zone I would strike out every single at bat. I can't read either of them for anything and since I look for hanging breaking pitches they typically start out looking like high fastballs and break into the zone. That is probably why I struggle so much with them.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-21-2024, 07:24 PM   #6
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

I could use some hitting strategy approach to facing the submarine and sidewinders Tyler Rogers and Hoby Milner. Rogers is straight-out downright filthy nasty but Hoby gives me fits too. I love the fisheye cameras but maybe just for facing submariners and sidearmers, I should look for a different angle. I think the only thing that could possibly be worse than facing Rogers is facing a knuckleballer submariner.
#44Syracuse
Old 03-23-2024, 08:35 PM   #7
Just started!

I have ALWAYS had issues hitting in THE SHOW series and could use some suggestions.

Played ton of baseball games, favorite was High Heat (if you remember that one).

The one aspect of this game i cannot fix (for me) is that the MOMENT you start pressing x to swing, the PCI locks. I am so used to simultaneously pressing a direction and x. After decades of that- i just cant “aim then x”.

I have resorted to using pci anchor and only swinging if ball in that area but not as fun to me and not as natural to have it lock.

Not sure this makes sense?

Searched internet and found one OLD thread about thus very issue.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »