Home

Game Rotation and Inactive List

This is a discussion on Game Rotation and Inactive List within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 10-25-2023, 07:01 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 21
Game Rotation and Inactive List

I noticed something tonight when I was setting my game rotations for the opening night games and that is that you are only going to be allowed to play 13 players while the rest will be inactive. This should not be the case as there should be 15 active slots in a teams rotation. I think what 2K should do is on the rotation screen give users a drop down menu option to either make a player active or inactive for the game. Thoughts?

Former Boys Varsity Basketball Coach
Eaglerock562 NBA2K MyEra Reference Guide
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-25-2023, 09:41 AM   #2
MVP

NYJin2011tm's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Game Rotation and Inactive List

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglerock562
I noticed something tonight when I was setting my game rotations for the opening night games and that is that you are only going to be allowed to play 13 players while the rest will be inactive. This should not be the case as there should be 15 active slots in a teams rotation. I think what 2K should do is on the rotation screen give users a drop down menu option to either make a player active or inactive for the game. Thoughts?
Isn’t that how it works in the NBA though? Unless I missed a change? 17 total roster spots, 15 max for guaranteed contracts and two for two way players and 13 active for the game.
Old 10-25-2023, 09:51 AM   #3
MVP

PhlliesPhan6's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJin2011tm
Isn’t that how it works in the NBA though? Unless I missed a change? 17 total roster spots, 15 max for guaranteed contracts and two for two way players and 13 active for the game.
I believe they can actually have 3 Two Way players starting this year. I don't know if there is a limit to how many can suit up. I understand what the OP is saying. I've definitely seen Box Scores with more than 13 players listed. The Nuggets had 15 players listed on the Box Score last night. 3 were DNP though but I thought if they were on the Box Score they were dressed and on the bench. Could be wrong though.
Old 10-25-2023, 10:34 AM   #4
MVP

NYJin2011tm's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlliesPhan6
I believe they can actually have 3 Two Way players starting this year. I don't know if there is a limit to how many can suit up. I understand what the OP is saying. I've definitely seen Box Scores with more than 13 players listed. The Nuggets had 15 players listed on the Box Score last night. 3 were DNP though but I thought if they were on the Box Score they were dressed and on the bench. Could be wrong though.
Yea you are right on the up to three two way players. Still trying to find active/inactive rules.
Old 10-25-2023, 02:31 PM   #5
Rookie

ShamWowNY's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJin2011tm
Yea you are right on the up to three two way players. Still trying to find active/inactive rules.
From CBAfaq.com (emphasis mine):

79. What roster size limits exist? What is the Inactive List? What is Injured Reserve? Do any other such lists exist?

Normally an NBA team can have a maximum of 15 players on its roster during a season (and up to 201 during the offseason, starting on the day after the team's season ends). A team normally has 12 or 13 players on its Active List, who are eligible to play in games, and can have as few as 11 for up to two weeks at a time. Any remaining players must be on the team's Inactive List, and are ineligible to play in games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-25-2023, 04:40 PM   #6
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamWowNY
From CBAfaq.com (emphasis mine):

79. What roster size limits exist? What is the Inactive List? What is Injured Reserve? Do any other such lists exist?

Normally an NBA team can have a maximum of 15 players on its roster during a season (and up to 201 during the offseason, starting on the day after the team's season ends). A team normally has 12 or 13 players on its Active List, who are eligible to play in games, and can have as few as 11 for up to two weeks at a time. Any remaining players must be on the team's Inactive List, and are ineligible to play in games.
That question and answer is from the previous CBA. I thought Larry Coon would've updated his site by now with the new CBA, but not yet. As one of the previous reponses noted that last night the Nuggets had 15 active players in the box score, but 2K only allows 13 active players and a maximum 5 inactive players.

If you look at the Lakers rotation you'll notice number 1-13 followed by 4 inactive slots (for a team with 17 players) and 1-13 followed by 5 inactive slots (for a team with 18 players)

When the NBA had the injured list (where any player put on the injured list had to miss the next 5 games before coming off) there was a rule on how many players could suit up. Once the NBA got rid of the injury list and when to the inactive/active current list I know that teams need to dress a minimum 8 players, but still have not yet found the maximum amount which I'm assuming is 15.

Old 10-25-2023, 04:59 PM   #7
Rookie

ShamWowNY's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglerock562
That question and answer is from the previous CBA. I thought Larry Coon would've updated his site by now with the new CBA, but not yet. As one of the previous reponses noted that last night the Nuggets had 15 active players in the box score, but 2K only allows 13 active players and a maximum 5 inactive players.

If you look at the Lakers rotation you'll notice number 1-13 followed by 4 inactive slots (for a team with 17 players) and 1-13 followed by 5 inactive slots (for a team with 18 players)

When the NBA had the injured list (where any player put on the injured list had to miss the next 5 games before coming off) there was a rule on how many players could suit up. Once the NBA got rid of the injury list and when to the inactive/active current list I know that teams need to dress a minimum 8 players, but still have not yet found the maximum amount which I'm assuming is 15.
Good shout - I did not know this was something that changed in the latest CBA, but it seems like it did! From the text of the current CBA (accessible on the NBPA website):

Section 1. Active List.
Each Team agrees to have at least twelve (12) and no more than fifteen (15) players on its Active List and to have a minimum of eight (8) players on the bench for all Regular Season games.

The previous version set a maximum of 12 or 13 players based on certain factors. I think this is a holdover from the 20/21 season when the Board of Governors allowed teams to have 15 active players as extra COVID precaution, and now it's codified in the CBA as the rule. Good catch!
Old 10-25-2023, 05:18 PM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamWowNY
Good shout - I did not know this was something that changed in the latest CBA, but it seems like it did! From the text of the current CBA (accessible on the NBPA website):

Section 1. Active List.
Each Team agrees to have at least twelve (12) and no more than fifteen (15) players on its Active List and to have a minimum of eight (8) players on the bench for all Regular Season games.

The previous version set a maximum of 12 or 13 players based on certain factors. I think this is a holdover from the 20/21 season when the Board of Governors allowed teams to have 15 active players as extra COVID precaution, and now it's codified in the CBA as the rule. Good catch!
Thanks, good job searching for a more in depth reason. Anyone think this is something 2K could fix in a patch?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »