Home

What does “chemistry on/off” on MyNBA ACTUALLY do? Which is better?

This is a discussion on What does “chemistry on/off” on MyNBA ACTUALLY do? Which is better? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-02-2023, 06:28 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
What does “chemistry on/off” on MyNBA ACTUALLY do? Which is better?

I turn “chemistry affects” down to 20-30 anyway so it doesn’t do too much, but I’m wondering which gives better gameplay? I’ve seen different people say both ways is better.

In my latest MyNBA season every team is starting the season with abysmal chemistry even my team that one a ring is starting at 40% chemistry, which means I have to grind and win a ton to get back to 100.

Any advice on which gives better gameplay and sim results around the league?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2023, 06:15 AM   #2
MVP

Re: What does “chemistry on/off” on MyNBA ACTUALLY do? Which is better?

I play magic/bird era. Cpu vs cpu using MJ wizard’s roster. I turned off chemistry and got rid of all badges and the gameplay is great. Realistic scores and shot distribution.
Old 08-10-2023, 09:48 AM   #3
Pro

vetmin's Arena

I haven't experimented enough to be sure (I've always just turned it off), but I've seen people here say that it affects the crispness with which CPU players execute plays or gameplans. So high team chemistry will have players running their routes as designed, whereas low chemistry will have them doing more braindead CPU stuff.
Old 08-10-2023, 12:36 PM   #4
MVP

dwayne12345's Arena

Team Chemistry is pretty self-explanatory imo. If it's on then there is a team chemistry rating between 0%-100%.

There is also a team chemistry effects. If that is also on a team with low chemistry will see player's ratings decreased and teams with high chemistry will see player's ratings increased.

Teams lose chemistry when they make roster moves and lose games. They gain chemistry when their core has been together for years and win games.

Not sure why people turn it off? It's a pretty realistic feature that simulates a player performing worst on low chem teams and players on high chemistry teams overplaying.

Think this year's Miami Heat or the 2000's-2010's Spurs as what high chemistry looks like.
Old 08-10-2023, 01:11 PM   #5
Pro

vetmin's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayne12345
Team Chemistry is pretty self-explanatory imo. If it's on then there is a team chemistry rating between 0%-100%.

There is also a team chemistry effects. If that is also on a team with low chemistry will see player's ratings decreased and teams with high chemistry will see player's ratings increased.

Teams lose chemistry when they make roster moves and lose games. They gain chemistry when their core has been together for years and win games.

Not sure why people turn it off? It's a pretty realistic feature that simulates a player performing worst on low chem teams and players on high chemistry teams overplaying.

Think this year's Miami Heat or the 2000's-2010's Spurs as what high chemistry looks like.
I turn it off for two reasons:

- ‘Roster moves & losing = bad’ and vice versa is totally unrealistic. Real teams often trade guys away precisely because they’re poisonous to team chemistry. Also, rookie Anthony Edwards totally souring on the Wolves franchise after losing a bunch his rookie year is not realistic. Winning is valued differently based on a team’s timeline.

- The actual on-court 2K hoops is most important, so if low chemistry results in unrealistically dumb basketball by the CPU, then it’s not worth it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2023, 05:57 PM   #6
MVP

dwayne12345's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetmin

- ‘Roster moves & losing = bad’ and vice versa is totally unrealistic. Real teams often trade guys away precisely because they’re poisonous to team chemistry. Also, rookie Anthony Edwards totally souring on the Wolves franchise after losing a bunch his rookie year is not realistic. Winning is valued differently based on a team’s timeline.

- The actual on-court 2K hoops is most important, so if low chemistry results in unrealistically dumb basketball by the CPU, then it’s not worth it.
I see what you're saying. For me it's kind of one of the only ways you can simulate the unpredictability of a super team like the 2010-2011 Miami Heat starting off 9-8 and then winning 12 in a row. Or more recently the embarrassing catastrophe that was my Brooklyn Nets' big three, becoming the Mikal Bridges show.
Old 08-10-2023, 08:32 PM   #7
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayne12345

So the question then is, is chemistry off exactly like 100% chemistry? Or does on/off give entirely different AI?

I’d like to keep it on but in my new MyNBA season every team is starting with like 25% chemistry for some reason. Some teams have 0% chemistry! Lol. So obviously it’s now bugged and unrealistic.
Old 08-14-2023, 12:16 PM   #8
MVP

EccentricMeat's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetmin

You’re describing morale, not chemistry. Anthony Edwards’ morale would be affected by losing, not by low chemistry. Low chem just drops OVR ratings.

The best balance IMO would be to make Chemistry extremely important while making morale far less so, to avoid the situation you mentioned with rookies souring on their teams right away for losing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »