Home

I'm 44 years old, and this is my main issue with NBA2k23 (it's not what you think)

This is a discussion on I'm 44 years old, and this is my main issue with NBA2k23 (it's not what you think) within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 10-08-2022, 04:29 PM   #1
MVP

K_rob11's Arena

OVR: 21
I'm 44 years old, and this is my main issue with NBA2k23 (it's not what you think)

...and I'm stating my age because I do feel it's relevant. Being one of the old heads here still playing video games, my number one issue with this year's 2K game is that MyEras is so much of a joy to play that I cannot keep my focus on one Franchise save! As someone who grew up watching all of these eras play out, I cannot get over how good the immersion factor is with each individual era. They definitely all play differently, and (almost) how I expect them to play in that era.

Started a Magic Bird Era franchise with the Sixers led by Doc and Malone (this was the first basketball team I fell in love with as a kid at 7 years old lol)...and just knowing the teams how I know them from watching old film and stories, etc...The thought of getting Doc and Malone another championship through Magic, Bird, a young MJ, Ice Man....I recently watched an old video on youtube (NB80's that reminded me all about this era all over again).
Also started a Jordan Era Sonics/ Sixers franchise, doing a 'what-if' the sonics just never left Seattle and Barkley never leaving the Sixers.....Going through most of my formative years in the 90's and I'm just reliving all of the best jerseys and rivalries the league has ever seen.

....and of course started a Kobe Era Sixers Franchise trying to get AI a ring and make sure he never leaves Philly!

The difference in the style of play is really evident playing in these eras...and although probably not good for my eyes, the era-specific camera filters really add to the immersion. I honestly can't get over how fun all of this is and its something I can't even imagine having as a kid being such a huge NBA fan lol....in that sense, i consider myself lucky because I would not have done anything with my life but play video games! LMAO

I haven't even touched the Jordan Challenge or even had a thought of starting a Current Era Franchise (which is the only mode I normally play with each 2K purchase).

Just want to give a big shout-out to all of the 2K team for making a hell of a game and also the community roster creators for all their work on filling out the myera rosters.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-08-2022, 04:44 PM   #2
MVP

K_rob11's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: I'm 44 years old, and this is my main issue with NBA2k23 (it's not what you think

Just a quick funny story on my first game from my '83 sixers franchise....

Playing the first game in Philly vs the Bullets and the game was headed towards a blowout in my favor in the 2nd quarter as I went up by 18 with just over a minute left to play. They call a timeout and I am feeling good and I'm telling you I am fully immersed in the game. I have my 2 yr old son sitting playing with his toys in front of me and I start chanting quietly to him "we want boston, .....we want boston" and he starts to copy me and we chant together lol. We get louder and continue the chant as i finish up the 1st half. (BTW This is something I can totally see philly fans doing back then as the hate towards boston was real and also, I just can't wait to play against boston in this franchise after watching Da_Czar's vids and other footage of people playing with Larry bird and Co.).....fast forward to the 2nd half, Jeff Malone for the Nuggets goes off and big Jeff Ruland (who's was actually a really tough player) became a bit of a problem when I had to sit Moses due to foul trouble. Long story short, the bullets came all the way back to win the game by 10! Man i was so hurt lol. I can't wait to play them again and I promise not to look past them next time.
Old 10-08-2022, 04:58 PM   #3
Pro

markprior22's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: I'm 44 years old, and this is my main issue with NBA2k23 (it's not what you think

I'm 59 and right there with you. This game is really, really good for what I want.
Old 10-08-2022, 06:43 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

As a broad fan of the NBA's history (and the modern game, for that fact), this game is indeed a piece of art.

I just finished the 1983-84 season with the Pistons and my goal is to keep teams as authentic as possible from year to year. I feel like I'm getting the most hands-on, immersive NBA lesson possible. There's something incredibly novel about playing through a year that sort of feels like the last gasp of 1970's basketball (guys like Bob Lanier, Tiny Archibald, and Paul Westphal in their final seasons) while looking ahead to the 1985 draft board with the future staring you back in the face.

Now, here I am on the cusp of the '84-85 campaign and Michael Jordan, Akeem Olajuwon, Charles Barkley, and John Stockton have arrived, ready to change the game forever. Not only that, but the Clippers made their move to L.A. and now Isiah's in his last season pre-Joe Dumars. After the Tripucka era of Pistons basketball closes, we start revving up toward the Bad Boys era. I can't wait.
Old 10-08-2022, 06:54 PM   #5
Rookie

FunGaming44's Arena

OVR: 0

48 turning 49 next week and I feel the same way, i did turn the filter off because my eyes just cant handle the filter. Totally loving the time travel back.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-08-2022, 07:23 PM   #6
MVP

NYJin2011tm's Arena

49 here and the Lakers and Magic Johnson were my first basketball love. I started a 80s era Lakers league. I’m going to let whatever happens happens in mine but teams will stay where they are. Like Clippers will stay in SD, Sonics in Seattle, etc.

I play 6 min/82 games stats/minutes to 12 min on HOF modified sliders even more to help cpu and real %. So far I’m 18-3. Somewhat story like yours… first time I played Phoenix they absolutely demolished me 122-78. I just played them again and was looking revenge! I got it beating them 106-92. Another team I struggle against is Terry Cummings and the Clippers. I simply cannot stop him.
Old 10-08-2022, 10:14 PM   #7
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

I'm in the same boat, man. I'm 37 and while I remember bits and pieces of the 90s I feel in love with the NBA in the Kobe Era. It brought me so much joy at launch to play with Webbers Kings and try to get that chip. We got knocked out in the WCF by the Spurs.

I'd play a game or two of MC, and then I'm back to MyNBA. I actually like MC too but MyNBA is just so addictive. Start a game of MyTeam and quit to play MyNBA. I almost have to force myself to play the Jordan Challanges, I just got to the Jordan Rules Pistons game. I have a Magic/Bird Era that I have made it up to 91 with the Bulls. Then I have a new Jordan Era save I am playing with the Pacers. And like you said, the gameplay is different. But more than that 2K put in work with the classic players and teams.

Like, I know about Stockton and Malone but who is Thurl Bailey and why is this dude killing me from mid range because I double Malone. I really am learning about the NBA past while enjoying a game. I love it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 10-08-2022, 10:31 PM   #8
MVP

This game is WAY too good and immersive for my own good. It should be a crime what 2K did to captivate our attention and time actually.

I was watching a 98 playoff game between Bulls and Pacers. Along with the perfect Reggie creation I found and my custom all time rosters and league, I played the same game (pacers at Bulls) and literally felt like I was reliving the game. The attention and care they gave to Jordan is literally a dream come true.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »