Home

MLB The Show 17's Offline Franchise Offers a Slight Upgrade

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 17's Offline Franchise Offers a Slight Upgrade within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 04-06-2017, 09:21 AM   #17
Pro

ARoid1313's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: MLB The Show 17's Offline Franchise Offers a Slight Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryClay1844
Franchise mode in MLB the show is miles and miles ahead of the other games I play, EA's FIFA and NHL.

Ummm no way
Old 04-06-2017, 09:55 AM   #18
MVP

cch99's Arena

OVR: 9
First off I haven't bought this years game yet. I do have last years so reading what I have it's no much different this year but I have to agree with what someone else said that the biggest issue with all these franchise modes is immersion in the League.

To me they make these games so hard to really get a good feel for what is going on in the rest of the league and how you fit into it. The radio show is fine and all but in my opinion these really need to do a better job of headlining great performances during the day/week. Cut in's from other games. Highlight shows at the end of a week and Playoff Preview Shows. Right now yeah you can check out league leaders and look at boxscore but I personally don't want to scour all the boxscores to find out someone pitched a one-hitter.

In my opinion the two best at this were College Hoops 2k7 & College Football. 2k7 had the weekly review, and then the selection show which were great. Added so much and kept you involved more. College Football, even though it didn't have highlights, the score cut ins in big related games were great and I loved the Sports Illustrated stuff. Because it brought out the best performances and other things around the league without having to go through menus to find all the stuff, it was in a nice convenient package.

NBA 2k does an ok job with this with the sidebar stuff but it repeats with three stories about the same thing that I end up just not even bothering with it.

Baseball is a perfect sport and I would think the easiest to make a highlight package from but then again I am not a coder. Also would love to cut to a no-hitter going on or a replay of someone getting the game winning hit especially with division teams and they could allow the opportunity to turn it off if you wanted in the menus so it didn't have to cut away. That to me is the best way to get that immersion factor is to remind you that these other things are going and not make you search to find it and the visuals would make it more real.

To me this is the biggest thing missing from all the franchise modes.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:11 AM   #19
All Star

Mike Lowe's Arena

OVR: 18
I asked a question in my OOTP review last year:

What will come first? A baseball text sim that adds in modern graphics, or a baseball console game that gets the finer details for franchise mode, etc. right?

Every year, it seems we're creeping closer and closer to the former, surprisingly...
Old 04-06-2017, 10:29 AM   #20
MVP

OVR: 15
I don't understand how to enter a critical situation, Do you have to sim the game first from the calendar page?
Old 04-06-2017, 05:23 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 2
if your a game company that's only worried about money money and more money....what are you gonna spend more time on a game mode where someone pays 60 bucks and that's it or a game mode where someone pays 60 bucks and then hundreds and hundreds(if not thousands and thousands) more???

if the very near future you will be lucky to see any improvements in this game or madden now that these more profitable game modes are around
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2017, 05:44 PM   #22
Pro

@legendm0de's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagkerguy8
if your a game company that's only worried about money money and more money....what are you gonna spend more time on a game mode where someone pays 60 bucks and that's it or a game mode where someone pays 60 bucks and then hundreds and hundreds(if not thousands and thousands) more???

if the very near future you will be lucky to see any improvements in this game or madden now that these more profitable game modes are around
I have solution to that, make a hardcore edition of this game and instead of the solid gold steelbook edition we'll buy their hardcore 'franchise lovers' edition for top dollar.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:01 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 0
I love the Show and will play it to death, exclusively in RTTS and Franchise modes, but I too am disappointed with the lack of improvements -- REAL improvements -- in Franchise mode. I like the idea of quirks, and I LOVE quick manage -- otherwise known as "multiple player lock" -- but scouting and player progression NEED to be addressed next year. It should say something that NO prospect created by the cpu will ever have a Corey Seager/Carlos Correa/Bryce Harper trajectory -- they're too damn old and progress too damn slowly. I've never gone decades deep into a 'chise, but I've heard that this ruins the player pool eventually.

Also, I noticed that my bank was overflowing at the end of a season, but it was wiped clean at the start of the next season -- are yearly funds use it or lose it? That would SUCK.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:03 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 5

My dream game is a fusion of OOTP+MLB The Show. OOTP for the General Manager side of things and The Show for gameplay side of things. Oh man, just thinking about it makes me so sad because I know we'll never have anything close to that

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »