Home

Madden NFL 18 on the Frostbite Engine: Reactions

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 18 on the Frostbite Engine: Reactions within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 02-03-2017, 06:23 PM   #9
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Madden NFL 18 on the Frostbite Engine: Reactions

My biggest concern is with Franchise. Will they be able to take all of the things they've added and put them in the new game? If not, what gets left out? I only play Madden for the online Franchise that I'm in.. if that's bare bones, I can wait until it gets built back up.

Watch me play video games
Old 02-03-2017, 07:30 PM   #10
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon27
Personally, I'd be a bit surprised if they deliver something that feels like an unfinished product for Madden 18. It seems like Rex and his crew understand the demands of the fanbase, and it seems that they'd be aware of the backlash they'd face if features that presently exist, were left out of M18. Any good will they've built up, would surely be out the window at that point given how fickle the Madden fanbase can be.

I'm not a huge Fifa player. I usually download it through EA Access, play the 10 hour trial sporadically then if, and when it runs out I let it be until it hits the vault and I then play it again sporadically when it's available to me again. I played Fifa 15 quite a bit, 16 I just haven't had as much time to play. I hadn't even downloaded the trial yet for 17. I did last night after seeing the Madden to Frostbite news. I must say, I always thought Fifa was a great looking game. Fifa 17 though, looks much better in Frostbite. So, I'm pretty excited for what that will bring to Madden. In the quick game I played, I didn't notice much different in the player movement or gameplay. I'm also not a hardcore Fifa player either though.

Bottom line for me.. at this point, we just have to sit and wait. I'm curious to see what Frostbite can offer Madden. I think initially it's upgraded visuals and environments. Would be interesting to see if a mode similar to the Journey in Fifa makes it's way to Madden this year. It seemed like they moved Fifa over to Frostbite without loosing a lot of features and modes. At least, in my quick time in Fifa 17 last night. I'll poke around in it a bit more over the weekend probably.

I for one though, will be surprised if Madden 18 takes a hit due to the switch. It may need a bit more tightening up post release, but I'd just be surprised to see the team let it slip. This crew working the game seems to take great pride in it, and the strides they've made, so I'd be surprised to see it slip.

Time will tell I suppose.
Concur with this 100%

I'll be beyond stunned if there is anything not brought over from M17 in terms of gameplay and in CFM. According to the team, MUT, competitive and CFM all grew quite a bit in terms of participation numbers. Obviously they don't want to lose any of those gains, and unlike some other Franchises, Madden is always scrutinized with hyper critical eyes.

Subjective opinions about aspects of gameplay, graphics, or sound, being worse will obviously happen for sure, but it if some existing mechanic or feature(with the exception of maybe tackle battles) is actually left out, people are going go off the rails.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:42 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
My biggest concern is with Franchise. Will they be able to take all of the things they've added and put them in the new game? If not, what gets left out? I only play Madden for the online Franchise that I'm in.. if that's bare bones, I can wait until it gets built back up.
Changing the gameplay engine shouldn't affect franchise much. It's possible they do some different things with ratings, perks, etc in the new engine that have knock on effects for franchise but we shouldn't (and had better not) see a Franchise to CFM type of step back again.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-03-2017, 10:31 PM   #12
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

Agree with pretty much everyone and the consensus at this point seems to be a lot of unknown. As to what Ryan said about people who have been clamoring for a new engine for so long being hesitant I think it has a lot to do with what happened with Infinity and, more recently, Ignite where a lot of things were promised but failed to ever materialize.

I think anyone expecting Madden to be built from the ground up though are going to be hugely disappointed but I highly doubt they'd risk stripping the game down with this transition. I think it's a good move that should hopefully be beneficial long term but as far as Madden 18 I'm really only expecting pretty much the same gameplay with a lot of aesthetics with crowds, weather, and lighting as well as a similar story mode to FIFA and 2K. I don't think we have to worry at all about any kind of Madden 06 situation or any feature or gamemode purge.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:57 PM   #13
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by fballturkey
Changing the gameplay engine shouldn't affect franchise much. It's possible they do some different things with ratings, perks, etc in the new engine that have knock on effects for franchise but we shouldn't (and had better not) see a Franchise to CFM type of step back again.
I guess it depends how much of the coding for franchise can be transferred over, or if they have to redo it all.

Watch me play video games
Old 02-04-2017, 12:32 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by outkaz79
I just hope they don't implement Frostbite features in Madden like they do everything else. Example: Madden 18 featuring the Frostbite engine and new dynamic weather. Madden 19 now with better lighting and facial scans. Just put it all in. You all ready know what Frostbite is capable of
Yoe alredy know thats what going to happen.. they going to milk you for yrs to come giving you bit by bit . Smh
Old 02-04-2017, 01:35 PM   #15
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
I guess it depends how much of the coding for franchise can be transferred over, or if they have to redo it all.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think that the UI/CFM/MUT etc are coded in Ignite or Frostbite or whatever. I think those engines just control the on the field play (and maybe game simming.)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-04-2017, 01:49 PM   #16
Flyin' High

Birdman18's Arena

OVR: 8
Madden NFL 18 on the Frostbite Engine: Reactions

From what I've been told and heard from friends within EA, is that they have been building the game for a good while now and that it's a separate group within EA who's doing the coding. Apparently work for M18 had been going side by side M16 and M17

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »