Home

F1 2016: The Most Overlooked Sports Game of the Last Year?

This is a discussion on F1 2016: The Most Overlooked Sports Game of the Last Year? within the Racing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 01-18-2017, 10:05 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
F1 2016: The Most Overlooked Sports Game of the Last Year?

I've never been the biggest Formula One fan, but I've played my fair share of F1-related games over the years. Those familiar with these games will likely recall memories of Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix series and EA's F1 2002, among others.

Since 2008, Codemasters has been in possession of the F1 license, and they have built a franchise that has impressed more often than not. Last year's F1 2016 was released in August, and OS' own Robert Kollars described it as, "an outstanding race sim, and should be in any race fan's rotation." He's not the only one who lavished praise on it, with many suggesting it might have surpassed its predecessors as the best Formula One game of all time.

Despite the acclaim, I haven't seen it on all that many Game of the Year lists thus far. With Forza Horizon 3 releasing just a month later, F1 2016 arguably hasn't enjoyed the recognition it deserves. Of course, that's not to suggest the game has sold poorly, topping the UK sales charts in its debut week. But, Formula One doesn't have the same appeal across all areas of the globe, so for those of you who have never heard of Lewis Hamilton or Max Verstappen, here are three reasons why F1 2016 should be in your collection.

Read More - F1 2016: The Most Overlooked Sports Game of the Last Year?
Platform: PC / PS4 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-18-2017, 10:11 AM   #2
Bacon is Better

Bullit's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: F1 2016: The Most Overlooked Sports Game of the Last Year?

Totally agree. This is one of only a few titles that have me taking away time from Mlb The Show. For those of you that know me, saying a game takes playing time away from my beloved Baseball is high praise from me.

I have completed 3 seasons and have had a blast doing it. I really have enjoyed my time so far with this game and look forward to spending a lot more.

My heart and soul hurt for your lost presence in my life.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:58 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0
I'm gonna have to get this sometime. Watched most of the races this year feeding my newborn on Sunday mornings, rekindled my F1 love from the days of Mansell and Schumacher.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:35 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 33
Agree also. One hell of a game with TV style presentation the game has for so long deserved. The game captures the nuances & details of the sport brilliantly. My favourite F1 game of all time & currently my favourite racing game.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:40 PM   #5
Pro

bxphenom7's Arena

OVR: 9
I got this game because I wanted a simulation racing game, and even though I know nothing about F1 or cars, and find myself messing up races on amateur by going off the track, I still have so much fun with it! I want to try the career mode when I'm actually competent driving lol Also need to learn the rules.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-18-2017, 11:44 PM   #6
All Star

Lieutenant Dan's Arena

OVR: 31

Great article. This game is tied w/Madden for my Sports Game of the Year, and definitely best racing game.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Operation Sports mobile app

OS Dibs: Anna Kendrick

Elite Dangerous on One X has become my life.

Proud PS5 and Xbox Series X Owner
"Best of Both Worlds"
Old 01-19-2017, 09:56 AM   #7
Pro

asu666's Arena

OVR: 34
I have F1 2016 in my regular franchise mode sports game rotation and love it. I agree that it did not get as much love as it probably should too. The most-recent version has a lot of improvements over 2015's and is about as solid a racing game as has ever been made. Plus, I love the in-game save system, which allows me to run full sessions and races.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:44 AM   #8
All Star

OVR: 20

Great story. Agree 100 percent.

F1 2016 was almost an ideal sim-cade racing game. Perfection would have been reached if Codemasters added the classic cars and tracks, even as DLC, that were in F1 2014.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing »