Home

NBA 2K16: MyTeam's Charms Fade Away

This is a discussion on NBA 2K16: MyTeam's Charms Fade Away within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 03-12-2016, 07:38 AM   #17
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2K16: MyTeam's Charms Fade Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by reginald_rush
I know it seems like I should be happy with my team, but after spending well over $300 on a game that I spent $90 (Michael Jordan edition) for, I feel like an idiot. I think the pack odds should be adjusted to reward people that buy with MT over VC. I also think the promo packs should only be purchased with MT, with better odds at getting cards from the promo.
Not to pile on you man, but herein lies the problem. If you spend $300 but then afterwards realize it wasn't worth it, 2k won't see that. They'll see that someone spent $300 on their game, so they must be doing something right.

It's depressing how this mode is clearly built as a psychological skinner box, no different from any other "free to play" game, that prioritizes squeezing the wallet or forcing people to grind for hours over fun and a fair and consistent sense of progression.
Old 03-12-2016, 12:04 PM   #18
Rookie

You don't have to spend any money to get a great squad. You do have to actually play the mode though.

1. Domination. 2 guaranteed amethysts, bonuses for collecting X number of cards, and then selling all the cards will give you enough MT to get some really good players.

2. Single player challenges.

3. Gauntlet has good rewards if you like the play style.

4. RTTP rewards are generally solid too.

Buying the cheapest packs only basically convert any VC you get from the mobile app into MT.

300k of MT can go a long way.
Old 03-12-2016, 12:13 PM   #19
MVP

HowDareI's Arena

Thing is, I don't gamble in real life...I make my money, keep my money, or spend it on things I can see lol

Last year I got a $25 Xbox card on Christmas and had nothing to use it on and said let's try this pack opening business.
Got lucky and out of the packs I opened I got Lebron, Kyrie, and Dwight Howard...

Now apparently that's not enough because there's them 99 overall fancy rewards whatever players that people spend 100s on or wait all day for a code for..so that in itself ruins the mode because a team that I had should be good enough but nope..you're expected to grind for hours upon hours upon hours or just spend money and pray.

Now that's fine; matchmake me against similar opponents then that haven't done all that. Because the way my mind's set, I'm not gonna go out and spend money to compete; I already spent 60 on the game. Other people may be influenced tho and they know that.

The rewards this year imo are trash. Last year I played the cpu and actually got decent golds to make a team I could use against the pack-buyers and because I'm nice enough at 2K I could challenge them.
This year we got like 99 overall Jimmer Freddette cards lol and my rewards in every game are 73 overall silvers..nah I stopped playing quick.

-Allen Iverson
Old 03-12-2016, 01:31 PM   #20
MVP

heelphreak's Arena

OVR: 6

I gave up on it last year. Haven't touched it in 2k16. I became obsessed with fielding a team of all tar heels. Spend a decent amount of money and time and once I had a team that I liked I came to the realization that I don't enjoy the game mode. I was obsessed with pulling tar heels in pack openings but actually playing the games was less fun to me than my league or play now or even my career. I'll just go to Atlantic City or Vegas the next time I'm compelled to dump money into a flashing lights and cards turning over game
Old 03-12-2016, 02:56 PM   #21
Banned

OVR: 13

I just played a game online with a guy with a worse team. The game did everything it could to keep him in it. At the end of the game it's a tie game, and what happens to me TWICE...defensive 3 second violation on my C. Bear in mind I'm playing ONBALL D with the PG so I have no control over what my C is doing. And I have my D set to limit perimeter shots.

Typical 2K myteam crap, he wins. This game wants to cater to crap players and/or the underdog team. I guess it thinks these people are more likely to spend money.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-12-2016, 06:30 PM   #22
Pro

AirJordanFan93's Arena

OVR: 3

This is why I generally ignore MyTeam and Ultimate Team modes in modern day sports games. Unless you are willing to either spend additional money on packs or invest large portions of time into the modes then its kind of pointless. These modes are nothing but cash cows for 2K and EA and they know no matter what people will spend a whole bunch of money each year on these modes. I hate this is where a lot of focus lies when it comes to game modes these days but that is more so an issue with EA than it is with 2K.
Old 03-12-2016, 08:06 PM   #23
MVP

razorkaos's Arena

These modes are cash grabs. I can't even understand why people spend the same amount of money they paid for the full game (or even more) in random packs of virtual cards that can't be used in the next year's game.

EA probably earns more money with Fifa points than selling copies of the game, and 2k is going the same route.

Until people are ok with spending that much with a system that is as lucky-driven as gambling and never pays out, these things won't go anywhere.

You (writer) spent 120 dollars in one game. It's your choice, but for the exact same reason, you shouldn't complain about it. You literally threw 60 dollars away, trying to improve your team with cards that are available only for the current iteration of the game, cards that are extremely rare, but pop out once in a blue moon as a bait for people who still hope to spend lots of cash to find them.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:05 AM   #24
MVP

Black Bruce Wayne's Arena

The only mode that I really enjoy on MyTeam, is The Gauntlet. That was a great addition and I hope it returns next year

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »