Home

Is EA Sports UFC 2 Doubling Down on Its Strengths and Ignoring Its Weaknesses?

This is a discussion on Is EA Sports UFC 2 Doubling Down on Its Strengths and Ignoring Its Weaknesses? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 03-07-2016, 09:57 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 0
I'm a little disappointed. I live on a farm and am stuck with satellite internet... So single player is all I can do :/

I am in the minority so I don't expect much nowadays in terms of SP depth but since I prefer sports titles this game was exciting for me!
Old 03-07-2016, 10:17 PM   #10
Banned

drinklime's Arena

Re: Is EA Sports UFC 2 Doubling Down on Its Strengths and Ignoring Its Weaknesses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saywatt
I'm a little disappointed. I live on a farm and am stuck with satellite internet... So single player is all I can do :/

I am in the minority so I don't expect much nowadays in terms of SP depth but since I prefer sports titles this game was exciting for me!
Unfortunately, the devs assume that the most vocal people on the forum represent the customers of the game. Sadly, that is not the case. They appeased the whiners, but the majority of gamers will leave with a bad taste in their mouth.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:22 AM   #11
MVP

OVR: 1
Re: Is EA Sports UFC 2 Doubling Down on Its Strengths and Ignoring Its Weaknesses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sactown_13
Havent been keeping up with this game. Didnt realize they had a beta. Did it include ultimate team? What do they do differently?
The beta did have ultimate team.

The way it works is that you create your team of 5 (I think) fighters. You decide which one you want to be using, so you can just use one all the time or use different ones in different weight classes. You fight the CPU or against people online and depending on how you do you get coins that you can buy packs with. The packs have stat increases, moves, and some other things that you can apply to your fighter. Some of those are weight class specific which is why you probably want to have a fighter in each one.

It has a couple things that aren't great, chief among them being an energy management system that adds absolutely nothing to the game. It's not game breaking though, and they took steps at the end of the beta to completely neuter it so I have no idea why they would leave it in.

Overall it's the best UT mode I've played, and I hate most others, and a close second to Diamond Dynasty from MLB The Show for best online mode I've played period.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-08-2016, 10:26 AM   #12
Rookie

BSchwartz07's Arena

Can't say I'm surprised. EA gave up on any sort of career mode in Madden, and the franchise mode has actually taken steps backward in the last 10 years. They are 100% focused on Ultimate team modes that can earn extra money for them.

On a side note, how cool would a franchise mode be in UFC? You could run a new gym or take over an existing one, fight with and train the fighters in the gym. You could sign new up and coming fighters or existing big names.... EA will never do it, but it could be fun.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:06 AM   #13
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Career mode is improved in a lot of ways but not so significantly that it outshines modes like Ultimate Team or Event Mode.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:39 PM   #14
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeej
I think they should have a career mode that revolves around a fight manager. I like this idea because it is more sustainable long term. This way you can have multiple fighters with multiple fights and it could run longer. My issue with a single fighter career is it seems so quick. I know that it is realistic but it doesn't last long enough. Having a manager with multiple customizable fighters and the ability to recruit more could solve this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well said. It's quick and incredibly repetitive.
How many combat games have we all played which follow the same formula; train, distribute points, fight, repeat?
It's been that way for 30+ years now!

A Managers Mode is long overdo.
There are so many variances that could be touched on which would breath new life into the genre and keep gamers captivated for years.
- running a gym, including paying the bills for utilities, trainers, dietitian and equipment.
- putting together local cards to help pay the bills while improving fighters
- working with various promotions in helping your fighters climb the ladder.
- as your gym improves and gains a reputation for churning out world class contenders, more and more top amateur and pro fighters will want to be part of your gym.
*conversely, if you do a poor job managing fighters, the pickings will become slim.

I'd also love to see a mode where some of the fighters attributes are static and can't be improved on.
You can't make a pillow-handed fighter into a KO artist. You're either born with power, or you're not. Same as having a good chin.
Where you can improve is with stamina, learning new disciplines, etc. But certain skills should be written in stone.

Being able to turn a fighter with low static ratings into a world contender or even champ, would be a major task and accomplishment.
It would also help boost your gym's rep and make free agent fighters take note.
It would also keep the game fresh and interesting throughout it's lifespan.
Old 03-08-2016, 02:55 PM   #15
Rookie

TheDeej's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
Well said. It's quick and incredibly repetitive.
How many combat games have we all played which follow the same formula; train, distribute points, fight, repeat?
It's been that way for 30+ years now!

A Managers Mode is long overdo.
There are so many variances that could be touched on which would breath new life into the genre and keep gamers captivated for years.
- running a gym, including paying the bills for utilities, trainers, dietitian and equipment.
- putting together local cards to help pay the bills while improving fighters
- working with various promotions in helping your fighters climb the ladder.
- as your gym improves and gains a reputation for churning out world class contenders, more and more top amateur and pro fighters will want to be part of your gym.
*conversely, if you do a poor job managing fighters, the pickings will become slim.

I'd also love to see a mode where some of the fighters attributes are static and can't be improved on.
You can't make a pillow-handed fighter into a KO artist. You're either born with power, or you're not. Same as having a good chin.
Where you can improve is with stamina, learning new disciplines, etc. But certain skills should be written in stone.

Being able to turn a fighter with low static ratings into a world contender or even champ, would be a major task and accomplishment.
It would also help boost your gym's rep and make free agent fighters take note.
It would also keep the game fresh and interesting throughout it's lifespan.

Great ideas man!

I truly think this is the direction they need to go to keep a career mode fresh and engaging in a fighting game.

I am kind of inspired by XCOM and the way it gets you to care about your soldiers.

I would love to name fighters after friends or family. Have a place to go back and look at fighters of the past and re-live their accomplishments or lack there of.

It doesn't even have to be a manager mode as much as like you said a gym where many fighters come and go. Having the financial options would be nice for people who like that as well. The more options the better.

One fighters career is just so short. Especially when you only fight 2 or 3 fights a year. Then boom you are done and have to start from scratch with no investment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-08-2016, 03:08 PM   #16
Handling it

fishingtime's Arena

Here are a couple tidbits from Brian Hayes:

Training Camp is the only thing that affects Attributes (fighter ratings) in Career.

https://twitter.com/TheBrizzo/status/700357393306095616

u earn Ev Points after each fight in Career that u can use to upgrade or unlock new Moves or Perks...

https://twitter.com/TheBrizzo/status/700357103022510080

Not much, but better than nothing.

Last edited by fishingtime; 03-08-2016 at 03:31 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »